Oil change- when do you do it?

RnRCycloner

Hi All,

I think my owners manual says 7500M (haven't looked at it in a while),
dealer likes 3000M.. I try to change 5000M, easier for me to remember..

Happy Camping

Dmaxcc6spd

Anything worth doing is worth over-doing. It took me a long time to get away from the 3,000 miles rule. On my Duramax, I change oil and filter every 5,000 miles but do a filter change every 2,500. My theory is this should remove the soot captured in the filter. My oil analysis have always been good, in fact, I spoke with someone regarding my results and he couldn't believe how clean the oil was even using a K&N filter. I always use the Delco oil filter and Use Mobil Delvac1 5W-40 oil.

Considering my 2001 only has 55,000 miles on it and must last a long time, a little overkill on Oil maintenance is far chaeper than a new truck or new engine.

davelinde

. On my Duramax, I change oil and filter every 5,000 miles but do a filter change every 2,500... a little overkill on Oil maintenance is far chaeper than a new truck or new engine.

wow... On my truck the normal duty schedule is 15,000 for oil and filter -- I guess I assumed the DMAX (and PSTRks) were close to the same? I change mine on the severe duty schedule which is 7500 miles, though if I have not towed a lot and have some highway miles on it I'll go a little further.

To each his own... but I assume the manufacturer knows how to write a maintenance plan and exceeding it by big factors doesn't seem worth much to me.

Since I know that I'm beating up my tranny a bit I do change out my trans fluid more often then the schedule... eg at 20,000 or so. And I do keep up with the schedule on the differentials.

Happy Campers

I had a maintenance program and every 3,000 mi i took it to dodge and they changed it and filter for free.Now that program is over since i used up all the free oil changes and i still try to change every 3,000 because i tow a lot.I think my book says for towing,in traffic ,in heat ect's ect's then change every 3,000.

Happy Campers

My extended warranty is thru an independent company.I had the choice of taking plan a or plan b,i chose plan a.One of the differences is plan a oil changes every 3,000 mi while b is every 5,000 mi but b doesn't cover the parts that plan a does.I thought this plan was for 72/100,000 mi but looking at it tonight it is 84/100,000 mi. I still have to have a record of all other services done per manufactures specs.

redwing2

15w40 Amsoil with Amsoil filter and I go 15,000 before oil change . Do an oil anal. with Blakstone labs. every other change and all is good!

jbeletti

Blackstone Laboratories.

Cost is $22.50 to analyze an oil sample that you mail them. They send you the mailable containers for the samples and they email you a PDF of the report. You can also view your reports online.

Attached is one of my reports. As you submit more samples, the data for those appear in columns to the right of previous samples. So you get a feel for the changes over time. Then the comments they give you are more comparative.

Jim

Attachments

• Prius - Engine Oil Analysis at 6541 miles - b.pdf
    83.2 KB · Views: 52

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Blackstone Laboratories.

Cost is $22.50 to analyze an oil sample that you mail them. They send you the mailable containers for the samples and they email you a PDF of the report. You can also view your reports online.

Attached is one of my reports. As you submit more samples, the data for those appear in columns to the right of previous samples. So you get a feel for the changes over time. Then the comments they give you are more comparative.

Jim

I'm at a loss on this one...what does all this analysis get you on a $12.00 oil change? Not trying to be a smart*ss...just trying to understand. Seems to be a lot of effort when a Penzoil place is on every corner.

And, synthetics...why? We ain't talking Kenworth here.

Last edited:

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I'm at a loss on this one...what does all this analysis get you on a $12.00 oil change? Not trying to be a smart*ss...just trying to understand. Seems to be a lot of effort when a Penzoil place is on every corner.

And, synthetics...why? We ain't talking Kenworth here.

Lefty, I am going to guess that if you are getting an oil change at a neighborhood Pennzoil change place, you must be driving a small gasser. Oil changes on my diesel run over $50 each at my Dodge dealership.

I will consider the AMSOIL solution once my warranty runs out on my diesel.

nhunter

Does anyone change oil based on engine run hours?
My changes usually work out to every 200hrs as I see a lot of idle time. This is about every 10,000km or 6600m. Ford reccomends 12000km or 7500m. so I figure they built the truck and the motor has warranty until 300,000km, so if they are wrong they will be replacing the motor.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Lefty, I am going to guess that if you are getting an oil change at a neighborhood Pennzoil change place, you must be driving a small gasser. Oil changes on my diesel run over $50 each at my Dodge dealership.

I will consider the AMSOIL solution once my warranty runs out on my diesel.

Nope 2008 Chevy 3/4 Duramax. Every vehicle I've ever owned was a big block chevy pickup with 3,000 mile oil changes. That's why I'm asking.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Nope 2008 Chevy 3/4 Duramax. Every vehicle I've ever owned was a big block chevy pickup with 3,000 mile oil changes. That's why I'm asking.

And you get your oil changed for $12 at a Pennzoil station? I can't even get my wife's Toyota Highlander that only takes four quarts changed for even close to that.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
And you get your oil changed for $12 at a Pennzoil station? I can't even get my wife's Toyota Highlander that only takes four quarts changed for even close to that.

In Texas they got a lot of those drive in oil change places and they usually have a $12-$20 oil/filter/lube special. I'm cheap...I go to the car wash and get a coupon for $5 off!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Lefty, your truck should have a data center in the instrument cluster. It should give the % of fuel filter, air filter, and oil change times. They will come up as % left. The owners manual should give all the info on how it all works. I dont remember if you got gas or diesel. Bob:D

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Lefty, your truck should have a data center in the instrument cluster. It should give the % of fuel filter, air filter, and oil change times. They will come up as % left. The owners manual should give all the info on how it all works. I dont remember if you got gas or diesel. Bob:D

I got the duramax...guess I'm gonna have to RTFM. Didnt even know that the data center did that.

truknutt

Committed Member
Lefty buddy,

I think the days of your $12 oil changes are history now that you have moved up to a Duramax. I read that your crankcase alone holds 10 quarts; at a veeerrrry generous $2 per quart there's $20 just in oil.

Here are the change/service intervals for the PowerStrokes.

Normal Service Intervals are defined as follows:
• 7.3L:
Oil Filter: 5,000 miles
Fuel Filter: 15,000 miles
• 6.0L:
Oil Filter: 7,500 miles
Fuel Filters: 15,000 miles
• 6.4L:
Oil Filter: 10,000 miles
Fuel Filters: 20,000 miles

Special Service Intervals are defined as follows: (ex: anytime a trailer is owed over 1,000 miles)
• 7.3L:
Oil Filter: 3,000 miles
Fuel Filter: 9,000 miles
• 6.0L:
Oil Filter: 5,000 miles, 200 engine hours or 3 months
Fuel Filters: 10,000 miles, 400 engine hours or 6 months
• 6.4L:
Oil Filter: 5,000 miles, 200 engine hours or 3 months
Fuel Filters: 10,000 miles, 400 engine hours or 6 months

This info comes from the PowerStoke Diesel website maintenance link.

This is why so many owners think synthetics are the way to go because you can extend the oil change frequencies. AMSOIL claims up to 25,000 miles per change on the Duramax. (Link Here) That means more $$$$ in your pocket over time.

truknutt

Committed Member
My changes usually work out to every 200hrs as I see a lot of idle time. This is about every 10,000km or 6600m. Ford reccomends 12000km or 7500m. so I figure they built the truck and the motor has warranty until 300,000km, so if they are wrong they will be replacing the motor.

nhunter,

Is there an equation or chart that you use that says "change the oil when you reach ____ hours of operation time?

The PowerStroke Diesel website equates 25 miles of driving for every 1 hour of idle time as falling under the Special Service Interval.

A true story .. I was picking up one of my trucks last year from the Ford Dealer. There was a guy in Official-looking PowerStroke Diesel Mechanic's garb at the desk and on the phone with Detroit. Service writer tells me that they have a 2008 F-350 wrecker with 6.4L in the shop with only 11,000+ miles on the odometer and the motor is toast. Owner says he's only 1,000 miles over oil change interval time; Yeah, for normal Operations!

The factory tech plugged into the brain box and found out that since leaving the factory, this truck has actually operated the equivalent of 35,000 miles due to excessive idling; on the original oil!! :eek::eek:

I never heard how they remedied this little situation but I'll have to ask.:rolleyes: