Potential new owner - What issues have current Landmark 365 owners had?

KNPMCM

I am looking at purchasing a new Landmark 365 and would like to know what are some of the issues current owners have experienced?

I currently have a Dynamax Trilogy 3800D3 and have had a number of serious issues. This time around I am doing my homework.

Thanks in advance for you candid replies.

Kirk

akf15e

While I don't have the 365, I did purchase a new 2015 San Antonio last February, so some of the workmanship and fit and finish issues that affected my rig could certainly replicate themselves in the 365 I would imagine. So here we go...

Both recliners had cracked backs and had to be replaced (someone had attempted a cheap repair on one of them prior to selling it to us)
Dinette slide topper shed no water and looked loose (was missing 2 screws),
Driver side front landing gear had to be replaced due to leaking seals
Norcold 1210 fridge cooling unit completely failed after 4 months
Carpet was fraying on edges of office slide
Office slide was misaligned and leaving gouges in the carpet. Had to be removed and realigned.
Wall paper by dinette (around external TV box) bubbled badly after about 6 months.
Multiple galley water leaks into underbelly (connections, not the tank) - this was a major pain!!
Multiple water line leaks in Pex lines behind UDC
Back splash behind sink (cheap cardboard) fell off. I replaced it with something better.
Loose sink fixtures
Microwave (and the cabinet it is mounted to) are not installed level, causing turntable to come off its track all the time. I need to shim this.
Coffered ceiling came loose after one trip and had to re-secured.
Water was getting into underbelly during travel in even light rain -soaking the insulation.

There were a few other minor nuisances we had corrected on the spot at our PDI. Most of these other things happened on our first few trips. Needless to say, I was very disappointed in initial quality and workmanship. I had owned 2 previous fivers of another brand (world's best selling fifth wheel, or so they say) and had become disappointed with their quality, particularly multiple tank leaks and terrible external graphics that made our rig look like a FEMA trailer after only 2 years. Electrical and landing gear issues too. However, when I compared their top model with the Landmark, side by side, the Landmark fit and finish looked much better. It seemed there was more attention to detail on the surface, which I hoped meant the same throughout the coach. In addition, I felt the Landmark had more options for the money and was a beautiful rig on the outside. Having owned 5 RVs, I knew we would have problems with the third party supplied parts (fridge, H2O heater, furnace, etc.) But, I really liked what I saw on this forum as far as owner participation and company engagement - that was a big plus. I was ready for a change so I took a chance. Overall, I'd call it a push. No way of knowing what type of problems I'd have if I bought the Big Sky, but I can read their forum and see there are plenty of problems there too.

However, as has been said a million times, the dealer can make all the difference. My experience with my dealer's service department was TERRIBLE! At least 5 trips (350 mile round trip) to try and get things fixed. They could never get things fixed the first time (and sometimes not the second). Post repair Quality Control was non-existent (belly not secured properly, basement doors left unscrewed, missed items). It took a formal letter to the manager, multiple phone calls and e-mails, and apparently, a housecleaning in their service department, to get things fixed right. Finally, last month, after 11 frustrating months of ownership and multiple ruined trips, we have everything (knock on wood) repaired. All was covered under warranty thankfully.

Bottom line - would I buy a Landmark again. Probably. It is a beautiful rig; as well built as others in the same price range, and has (other than my dealer) great customer service and support. However, don't expect that it will be vastly superior to other brands. Face it - the components are all made by the same folks putting parts in Montanas, Forest Rivers, and Jaycos, et al. A Norcold can fail in a low end TT just as well as a 125,000 5er. Lippert parts are Lippert parts. And so on. But if you can, research your dealer's service reputation. It's a guarantee you will need service from a Heartland authorized repair place. Find a good one!!

Good luck!

Last edited:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

We Love our 2015 Landmark 365 Ashland.
We looked at the Trilogy a few years ago and now seeing your post are now glad we didn't go that direction. We were a little surprised of some of the poor workmanship on our LM365, but have found most of it to be the person doing the job poorly at the factory. The quality of the materials are very good but most of the people installing them don't seem to take pride in what they do or the time to do it right. MY OPINION. I just think when you spend $100000 on a 5th wheel RV it should be perfect. But I'm sure you found this to be the case on your Trilogy too.
OK with that said.... I would differently buy the LM365.
Make sure you use a good reputable dealer that can fix all of the little things the factory didn't.
I wish we would have ordered ours, with the slide Toppers, Aluma-gaurd Awning covers, Gas Stove/oven, Generator, & Disk brakes, on top of everything else ours had. We added most of that at the dealer after.

- - - Updated - - -

We Love our 2015 Landmark 365 Ashland.
We looked at the Trilogy a few years ago and now seeing your post are now glad we didn't go that direction. We were a little surprised of some of the poor workmanship on our LM365, but have found most of it to be the person doing the job poorly at the factory. The quality of the materials are very good but most of the people installing them don't seem to take pride in what they do or the time to do it right. MY OPINION. I just think when you spend $100000 on a 5th wheel RV it should be perfect. But I'm sure you found this to be the case on your Trilogy too.
OK with that said.... I would differently buy the LM365.
Make sure you use a good reputable dealer that can fix all of the little things the factory didn't.
I wish we would have ordered ours, with the slide Toppers, Aluma-gaurd Awning covers, Gas Stove/oven, Generator, & Disk brakes, on top of everything else ours had. We added most of that at the dealer after.

Oh and of course this forum with my new Heartland Family Is priceless.!!!!!!!!!!!

KNPMCM

Thank you for your replies.
I think I have decided on the Landmark 365 Ashland. It is the closest to my existing floor plan(which I love) and has a few very good options that mine doesn't.
I would be be buying from the same dealer I bought my Trilogy from and at least know what I'm in for. The new service manger has been good to deal with.
I look forward to hearing from more 365 owners so I will know what to look for at time of PDI.
Kirk

jbeletti

Hi Kirk - congratulations on your decision to order a LM 365 Ashland. I have the same floor plan and we love it. We especially love the split bath design and the 2 full length pantries.

Hope to see you down the road in an Ashland!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Congratulations you will love the Ashland floor plan..
We also love our Ashland as Jim said the split bath work great for the two of us, she has her space and I have mine.
Be careful with all of the storage in this thing, (inside and out) you can really load it up with lbs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Just as another point of reference... We have a Key West and have not had any major problems so far. There were a couple of cosmetic things with wood trim, the step recall, and a very slow leak that developed from the toilet.

The dealership ordered in the wood replacements. The fix for the steps was nothing much and we ended up replacing them with different ones anyway. The leak turned out to be a crack in the porcelain at the back of the toilet. A new toilet was drop shipped to us and we installed it in about fifteen minutes.

It seems like when it rains, it pours... Some people seem to end up with all the problems and some have hardly any. This is our third HL and we have had hardly any on all of them My husband likes to modify things to suit us and the Key West is a great canvas for him to use. Jerrod and Jim both do the same thing with their Ashlands.

Congrats on on your choice. It's always an adventure no matter what you do. :D

Kristy

carl.swoyer

I purchased a 2012 landmark Rushmore new. I spent 9 1/2 month in a service bay to include a trip to the factory. During all that horrible experience I came to this conclusion. It really doesn't matter what brand you have, they all have the same problems. That comes with personal observation of repairs being done on many different brands. I would also point out that the cabinets, door s windows, AC s, furnace, hot water heater s,tires, chassis are coming from the same distributors. So I ended up getting all my issue fixed. I refused to take a loss. I purchased an extended warranty from cornerstone. Best $1700.00 I spent. I have myself a very nice fifth wheel. The repair s do slow down. You can buy another fiver and your still going to have warranty issues. Good luck.

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-198000 miles !

KNPMCM

Thank you all for your responses.
I performed my initial walk through today and found only minor issues.
Lack of insulation and sealant around exterior TV Cabinet.
Sealant broken around bed slide - 3 sides
Cracked Fender Skirt
Couch not centered, hide-a-bed requires adjustment so frame doesn't strike front panel
Electrical Wrap not fully installed
Washer Dryer Closet door requires adjustment as it wouldn't latch
Hole in the frame not used and not filled
Frame around Garage requires adjustment
Sealant slopped over the AC Cover
Bed Slide cables require adjustment
Folding chairs have scuffed the bottom of the storage area
Carpet strands hanging out of Living Rm Slide

Very minor in nature and should be easy for the dealer to fix. The fender skirt will be the hard one as it requires paint.
Over all I was impressed with the quality of the build, fit and finish.
Well done Heartland.

Kirk

KNPMCM

I picked up our new Ashland today. Hooray.... Everything seems to be have been corrected that we found during the PDI. The dealer really pulled through for us. The only item not corrected was the cracked fender skirts. That will have to wait until November when I come home again. Went through it with the DW this afternoon and we are very pleased with the unit. Lots of interior storage that is actually usable. We are so pleased with the double pantry.
We pulled out the Couch Bed and found that it is slanted to ward the back of the couch. Glad I'm not going to sleep it on it. We might to need to change out the hide a bed down the road if we find we have company on a regular basis.
We are at 40 deg F today and I ran the Heat Pump for the afternoon to insure it worked and the coach was warm and comfy in no time at all.

Heading out for our shake down trip to local park this weekend and can hardly wait.

Thanks everyone for your great feed back.

KNPMCM

TxCowboy

Keep us posted on any issues you have on the shake down cruise. Lots of folks here to help out in any way they can.

KNPMCM

We did our first weekend in the new Ashland to insure everything was functional.
The only issue we had was that the Dishwasher was installed too tight to the cabinet and the door wouldn't latch. Once I reset the position everything was fine.
We found no issues with the unit and are very pleased with our choice.

:eek:

carl.swoyer

Look for water leaks under your sinks. Check the slide box as well. While slide is open check out the floor by putting your hand along the wall and feel for any moisture.

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-198000 miles !

TxCowboy

If you haven't already, get an oven thermometer and check your convection oven on a couple of different temperatures.

On the High Pointe, the instructions say to reduce the recommended cook temperature by 25 degrees. When I checked several times using an oven thermometer, the oven's digital readout was already 25 degree too low -- 400 degrees on the readout was actually 375 degrees on the oven thermometer. (I had already tested the oven thermometer in my house oven so I know the thermometer was accurate.)

Nothing worse than undercooked food coming out of your microwave/convection oven.

mlpeloquin

Get a good pressure regulator. Don't use park water without it. I set ours at 45psi. Some parks will warn you about high water pressure and guarantee that their parks water will blow your water lines. If they don't, they may cause the crimped PEX connections to start leaking. Not fun!

carl.swoyer

Also run both ac and check for moisture on the ceiling under the spot where the ac is mounted to the roof. Mine were not seated correctly and hot and cold air was mixing causing moisture to build up actually had water dripping from the ducts and seams in the ceiling.

KNPMCM

Thanks again for your words of wisdom and experience.
We went through the unit with a critical eye and so far have only noticed that the driver side Slide sitting flush against the body at the top but out about 1" at the bottom when retracted. Has anyone else noticed this on their unit?

KNPMCM