Rally Food/Meals Feedback/Thank you

jcd8822

Joseph
We want to thank Karen for her hard work heading up the food committee. It was a lot of intense work to co-ordinate all of that and we appreciate it. The rally members out did themselves with the various delicious dishes they brought to the table. Gene commented that attending the rally was some what like going on a crusie, there was always lots of great food to enjoy.

Karen then got together a Pot Luck meal for yesterday (Saturday) evening for those of us who where still hanging out in Elkhart. Again, she did a great job and we had a wonderful evening.

Thanks, Karen.

Joseph

jbeletti

Well, it seems that the eating never stops at the rallies. Even after the rally is over! Well, we all have to eat, may as well enjoy the food and the company.

But somebody please pull Karen's battery out! She needs to relax.

I know she does not have a computer with her but if anyone has an update on her Mom, please PM me.

Be well Heartlanders!

Jim

jbeletti

Thread hijack alert None

I thought Joseph's thread was a great place to start a little recap of the rally food/meals. I'd like to start by reiterating what Joseph has stated - Karen, Janet, Sandy, Nancy and the rest of the Foods/Shopping/Cooking/Cleanup teams did some great work. Thanks so much.

Where to begin.... Ah yes, Joseph's idea for "The Progressive Dinner" for early arrivals on Wednesday. When I first heard this suggestion around January, I wondered "how would that work?". As we discussed it a bit more, we could only guess at how many rigs would arrive early and our guess was a really low number, like maybe 6 to 10 rigs. Well, as most of you know, what did we have - over 40 rigs I believe!! This gave new meaning to "Progressive" - but, we made it happen - just on an order of magnitude more than planned. For Nancy and I, we learned from it as well. We learned that you cannot power 3 large coffee pots from one AC circuit in the trailer. But running extension cords to 2 other trailers does work well :)
[...image to be added soon...]

Then Thursday night we had the "The Potluck Dinner". This one went a bit smoother in my opinion. We probably should have staged the grills a bit earlier and maybe had a few more of them volunteered but all in all, I thought it was great. Maybe we should rent a long, long grill next time?? Boy did we have another terrific selection of foods or what?

Let's see, Friday. We semi-catered lunch that day. Semi as in Karen planned and ordered six 6-foot long Subway party subs and some fixin's. Some people even heated up and shared some of their potluck left-overs. Great idea! The ladies bagged up 15 lunches for the service personnel and their managers too. It was the least we could do for those guys and gals working their tails off out there in the heat.

Oh yes, lest we not forget about Yoders! Just like last year, we strapped on the feed bags and slid ourselves up to the table at Yoder's Banquets. Also like last year, Henry, Carolyn and family did not disappoint. It was neat to see the reactions by some of our first timers there. Once all the food went down the table and we ate what we took, down came the coffee and they thought pie was next - not! :D... down came all the food again! Then pie. We are just too spoiled. We're still pondering how we can do this for 2009. I am sure Yoder's will not be taking their banquets on the road. They may just have to add onto their building for us :eek:
//heartlandowners.org/attachments/yoders.jpg

Saturday was no stranger to us getting fed. But here we lucked out. No planning/shopping/cooking/cleaning for us this day. Flair fed us well mid-morning at their plant tour, Heartland had Nelson's Catering on-hand to feed us burgers and brats for lunch and Rob Reid's various operations took care of Nelson's once again to cater a hog roast for us for dinner. And pies again - of course.

Finally, "The Farewell Breakfast". Breakfast is one of those meals that can really break the bank. You never know how many people will make it out and if you go nuts on a food plan and make food for twice the amount of people that end up showing up during the last hours of the rally, you'll end up with a whole lot of breakfast to take home and a rally budget in the red. Thankfully, our Foods committee are good guessers and good stewards of our funds. I think we had just enough food. Hope so anyway.

So that's a wrap-up of the Rally Food-fest. We'd love to hear your feedback on how we can improve going forward. Just to get the discussion rolling, I'll toss out a few questions. Feel free to discuss as you feel led to do so.

1. At Rally provided meals, did you go hungry?
2. Did we run out of food altogether (vs. an item here and there) at any meal?
3. If we sort of look at the Progressive and Potluck dinners together:
A) Does this sort of communal dish sharing meal appeal to you?
B) What about grilling your own meats if desired? Did this work out for you or would you prefer to bring a meat dish to share instead?
4. Are we:
A) tired of Amish/Family style meals yet? And...
B) If no, should we try to come up with an Amish meal that works for the expected crowd in 2009 (like maybe the Essenhaus or Blue Gate restaurants)?
5. Regarding the lunch during the vendor presentations, last year, we provided cold cuts, cheeses and condiments for people to make their own sandwiches. Not sure which was easier on the food team but Subway this year "seemed" more convenient. How did you like it?
6. The Saturday night meal was sponsored and we are rather out of the loop on who caters it and what they make. I did request the hog roast and we got it. What are some of your ideas for this on-site main-event mail in Branson in 2008 and again back home in Indiana in 2009.
7. Does the farewell breakfast work out for most people? I know we ran out of coffee and could have used some bottled water and we can fix both of those. But does the provided breakfast work out well for you on pack up and leave day?
8. Other thoughts on food?

Thank you for your feedback. By hearing from you on what you liked this year, what you didn't much care for and what you'd like to have in the future, we can continue to improve for you.

Jim

Tom of Ypsi

1) No
2) I don't think so
3) a. Communal sharing was a nice touch and the food was excellent.
b. Grilling your own meat was good. This way everyone had what they wanted and no one person had to work while the others ate.
4) By the time the 2009 rally rolls around we should not be tired of Amish dinners. Where we go will have to be determined by how many sign up and if there is some place that will handle a large group.
5) The Subway sandwiches were good although I was close to not getting any. The wheel bearing-jacking the trailer seminar ran longer than expected. Not the food committee 's fault. Also thanks for feeding the people working on our trailers, nice touch.
6) I thnk the hog roast was good and it seemed like feeding the masses worked out good. I would vote for that again.
7) The breakfast was good. I thought we would just have coffee and rolls. Adding everything else made for a lighter lunch that day.
8) I think everone went all out in preperations, feeding, cooking, serviing on each and every day and whatever else I have missed. Kudos to all who did something.

gawelsh

Ditto to Tom's responses....I only have one suggestion for the potlucks. Because there are so many of us and the weather can be an "issue" (the heat this year about killed me - remember, I'm having hot flashes in January:eek: ), I'd vote to move the potlucks into the building (where we had our events). Other than that minor comment, I can't think of anything to improve the food part of the Rally - it was just the best!

jbeletti

Hey Lindsey, we sure don't need any flashing at dinner :eek: - so just for you, in 2009 in Goshen, we will move our indoor rally events to a larger air-conditioned building. As for potlucks in or out, we need more input.

The weather of course is always dicey but in that we'll be out 2 weeks farther than this year, it may be more predictable (hot!).

As for Branson in 2008, we have a large indoor building there too. Forgot to ask if it's air conditioned but I'll bet it is.

Let's hear more input from the 116 others...

Jim

phranc

1 no
2 no
3a yes 3b works OK .. Little different,tried it and liked it
4a Amish is good .. We eaten at Essenhouse and the Blue gate and prefer Yoder's.. The expected crowd may dictate another choice
5 Subway was fine . even seemed to be a little leftovers
6 Hog Roast was fine. Nelson's does a good job..Branson may be different ie: more difficult to line up a caterer
7 Breakfast on Sun was good, quick, and easy..If departing time becomes
an issue for some ,perhaps an opt out list would be neccessary
( more coffee)
8 A real hearty "Attaboy" for the food crew, especially Karen