Re-installing the slide toppers

Pokiejoe

Hi,
I have checked Dometic and for $30 they will tell me how to re-install these toppers so I decided to check here. I have looked on youtube also and can't seem to find the right video. I know how to slide the material back in the groves and realign but how many revolutions of the spring loaded mechanism is required to keep the canvas tight. That's the only thing I'm not sure about. Thanks in advance.

danemayer

Hi Don,

If you haven't taken the old ones off yet, wind up, pin the mechanism, slide the old fabric out and new fabric in, unpin, and carefully unwind.

Centering carefully while putting the new fabric on is important as it will save you winding/pinning again.

BUT, if the new fabric isn't the same width as the old, you'll have to compensate with more or fewer rotations. I replaced my fabric a few years ago and the replacements were wider. Needed an extra 2 turns on the big slides, 1 turn on the bedroom.

If you've already taken the old fabric off and didn't pin the shaft, try 6 turns. Unfortunately, since you're guessing, you might have to take the fabric off and try again. Start with the bedroom as it's easier to get on and off. When the bedroom is right, I'd use the same # of turns on the other slides.

On large slides, winding the spring takes a fair amount of strength and a very good grip. If you have a 2nd ladder and 2nd person, you'll be much better off. And on large slides, if you don't have a 2nd person on a 2nd ladder, you'll at minimum need a 2nd person on the roof to feed the fabric.

Here's a link to a video for Dometic A&E.

And here's a link to videos for Carefree.

oldelmer1

I had to rewind my topper on my Landmark's dining room slide. It has 2 springs, 1 on each side. I did 10 turns, but I think I need 12 cause it seems to be a little loose when its all the way out.

I'd try 10, then go from there.

I used an allen wrench thru the hole to keep it from unwinding when pulling it apart. But remember, there are 2 springs, so you have to both sides.

WillyBill

Chain Vise-Grip Pliers make a good tool to grip and wind/unwind and provide good leverage too. Judicious use of a piece of towel protects paint/finish on the parts. Worked great for me when I replaced my main awning last year after I was stupid and let a micro-burst get the best of me. (DW said it doesn't take as much to best me as it used to.)

WB

brianlajoie

The thickness of the material, the width of the topper material and the age of the spring all have an impact on the number of turns needed to wind the spring. The number of times you have extended/retracted the slide over the time you have had the slide topper impacts the age and performance of the spring. When I had to rewind my spring, I used the new install instructions and added 2 additional turns. The slide topper is 166 inches.