Satellite

Rschremp

Hello again and another newbie question.

Opinions welcome on the proper Satelite and which is better dish or direct.

I thank all that assists in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

donr827

JMO but I think that direct is better but we take the receivers from the house when we go camping.
Don

osims

bsims
We have had Dish for a long time, which one is better I don't know, I've never had Direct but what we have works well. We have three TVs in the RV and can watch different channel on each one. We can take receivers from the house but we don't . One receiver for the living room and a dual tuner receiver for the bedroom and outside TV. I use a tripod and I've pointed enough times the whole operation takes just a few minutes.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I guess it's what you might want to have. Dish has a program that will let you paid as you go, another words you can pay one month at a time. DirecTv doesn't do that. We have had DirecTv for over 11 years, both at home and in the camper. We first started out taking the receiver from the house into the camper, using a single LNB but gradually moved up to having receivers in both places with the camper having a mounted Travel'r dish on top. Yes we pay for the extra receivers but now I won't forget it when packing up for a trip.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We just started using a carryout system by Winegard. We have Dish at home, so it was only $7 more a month. We purchased a separate receiver and installed it in the trailer. Works well. Only used it once though.

HornedToad

I have Direct TV, as an add on to a residential account.

One thing to consider is that with Dish you can get HD programming on a basic $300 satellite antenna. To get Direct TV HD you need an expensive Trav'ler antenna?

Some say you cannot tell the difference... but it was clear to me comparing side by side my Direct TV STD definition picture to my tailgate neighbors Dish HD.

danemayer

Another consideration is whether you intend to watch more than one TV at a time. Some people may want to watch different programs on different TVs. With Directv Slimline 3 dishes, or the rooftop Winegard Traveler, you can watch different programs. With Dish, you can watch different programs as long as both programs originate from the same satellite.

Also, some of the inexpensive auto-aiming dishes used with Dish Network may not support two receivers. Some do, some don't.

pegmikef

I use the Dish Tailgater system. Portable, reasonably priced, easy set up, and gets HD and locals. Down side, takes a specific receiver and only allows a single receiver so watching two tvs doesn't work. We use OTA for bedroom if we even set it up.

MikeR

Another consideration is whether you intend to watch more than one TV at a time. Some people may want to watch different programs on different TVs. With Directv Slimline 3 dishes, or the rooftop Winegard Traveler, you can watch different programs. With Dish, you can watch different programs as long as both programs originate from the same satellite.

Also, some of the inexpensive auto-aiming dishes used with Dish Network may not support two receivers. Some do, some don't.

I have Dish and can watch any channel, from any Dish satellite, on either tv at the same time. Depending on my location we can connect with either the western or eastern arc satellites. Dish doesn't require a separate power feed either. I travel with my Hopper receiver and one of my Joey's for the second TV. I can also recive local stations, anywhere I am, with a single phone call to Dish.

danemayer

I have Dish and can watch any channel, from any Dish satellite, on either tv at the same time. Depending on my location we can connect with either the western or eastern arc satellites. Dish doesn't require a separate power feed either. I travel with my Hopper receiver and one of my Joey's for the second TV. I can also recive local stations, anywhere I am, with a single phone call to Dish.
What dish do you have?

porthole

Retired
I have Direct TV, as an add on to a residential account.

What do you mean "add on"

One thing to consider is that with Dish you can get HD programming on a basic $300 satellite antenna. To get Direct TV HD you need an expensive Trav'ler antenna?

Some say you cannot tell the difference... but it was clear to me comparing side by side my Direct TV STD definition picture to my tailgate neighbors Dish HD.

You can get HD on either with the inexpensive standard dish antenna.

If you want some version of an automatic antenna with Direct, then you need the pricey "Trav'ler" rooftop antenna. With Dish there are less expensive auto and portable antenna options.

We had Dish with our first venture into SAT TV. Had some issues, customer service was horrendous, and I got rid of the system within a week.

danemayer

Dan, I have a Dish 1000.2 satellite antenna. I carry both a western arc and an eastern arc LNB. Like I said above, I bring my Hopper receiver and one of our Joeys from home when we travel.
It looks like the 1000.2 is used on residences and is comparable to the Direct Slimline 3.

I haven't heard of any auto-aiming dishes like Tailgater or Pathway or Anser that can receive 2 programs from different satellites at the same time.

MikeR

It looks like the 1000.2 is used on residences and is comparable to the Direct Slimline 3.

I haven't heard of any auto-aiming dishes like Tailgater or Pathway or Anser that can receive 2 programs from different satellites at the same time.

I didn't realize that auto-aiming was a qualifier. Your statement was that with Dish, your second tv could only receive a different station from the same satellite. That is not a true statement. Yes my 1000.2 is from a residence.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
We have the DirecTV Slimline with Swm system inside and splitter in the UDC. The dish is mounted on a tripod from TV4RV.com. Have NEVER been shut out of aiming and doesn't take long as a part of setup.

Have HD TV and two receivers (HD receiver in BR and DVR in LR). Gives me the whole home system (so I can watch what's on the DVR in the BR). I'll also take the one from BR and put in the basement to watch TV outside.

Bohemian

Dish is simpler and has fewer HD channels. Dish uses fewer satellites all in one location in the sky. DirecTV requires at least 3 sats for SD and HD reception, a total 5 sats for all the additional foreign language channels.. Thus for DirecTV there are no carry out automatic HD antenna systems. That is the major disadvantage for DirecTV over Dish. On the other hand DirecTV has by far more HD programming. Both offer roof mounted automatic HD antennas.

For me it's DirecTV with HD a Genie (DVR server) and 2 mini-Genies (clients) with a roof mounted automatic antenna and a carry out manual antenna on a tripod with the built in cable wiring providing the network.