Slide In-op

Greengas

Getting ready to go to the colorado rally. Put the rig on a spot at local RV park for quick shake down. All is going good till i try to open the kitchen slide. I hear the same noise i hear with the other rooms but this time no movement. U am open to sny and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

danemayer

Hi Ronn,

Try rocking the switch the other way to pull in, then rock it to extend.

If still nothing, you may have a stuck valve. The valve for the slide is probably on the trombetta which is part of the pump assembly. You can operate the valve manually with an allen wrench. The front wall of the basement storage should have a square cover plate near the off-door-side hatch. The valve can usually be accessed either from the front storage compartment, or through that access panel.

There'll probably be 2 or 3 valves. You'll have to test to see which one lets the slide operate.

danemayer

Dan

Is this the assembly you are referring 5View attachment 44977

I've never seen one that looks quite like that, but it is the place were all the hydraulic hoses attach to the pump, so that's probably it. I'm not sure where the valve controls are on that one.

I took this picture at the factory last summer - probably a Bighorn or maybe a Big Country. I think the rectangular plate in the bottom right of the picture has knobs that allow slides to be operated individually. On Landmarks, since you have individual switches, you probably don't have the knobs; just setscrews that will manually open or close the valves. There will be wires attached to the valve assemblies.
DSC04482.jpg

Btw, if the slide operates by manually opening the valve, you'll have to close the valve to keep it in place. Same when retracting - open to retract. Close to lock it in place.
k
It's possible it might work correctly after a manual operation. If not, you might check the wires on the back of the switch and at the valve. Maybe one is off.

Greengas

Here is a picture of the undersides of the junction. Is this where I put the Allen wrench.
tmp_21473-20160510_163516624265861.jpg1

Greengas

I'm back home right now (the rig is a cherry creek so its not that far) so I can get the right size tool. Now, let me get this straight. When I put in the allen wrench and using the standard righty tighty lefty loose thinking, when I turn the wrench the kitchen slide (if I guess right the first time) should start moving out. If I don't guess right, then one of the slides that is already out should start moving in. Is that correct? If the slide that moves is not the kitchen, I should immediately tighten the valve back up and use the button inside to put the slide back out. If the kitchen slide does move then I let it get all the way out and then tighten the valve back up. To bring it in, I would simply loosen the valve again and as soon as it is all the way in, tighten the valve back up.

Now, I've contacted a mobile repair person who is going to come out tomorrow at 1:00pm. He thinks it is a solenoid or valve that has gone bad.

I will try and get the valve open and the slide to move when I go back to the rig in about an hour. I'll keep ya' advised.

Thanks, as always, for the help and guidance.

danemayer

Let's start with the other slides already extended. When you turn the wrench until the setscrew stops, AND press the inoperative slide button to extend, if you have the correct valve, fluid should flow and the inoperative slide should move. If it doesn't move, and you press to retract, one of the other slides should retract, identifying the relationship between setscrew/valve and slide.

If you get the inoperative side to extend, then run the setscrew back the other way to block fluid flow.

Then try the switch again to see if you can retract the slide without using the setscrew. If it works, try extending it again with just the switch.

If there was something stuck, the manual operation might clear the problem.

Could be a solenoid failure. But Before paying the tech, you should check the wires. The switches should have 6 wires attached. I think power comes in on the center posts. If there's a loose/broken connection at the switch, the pump could run without powering the solenoid.

Could also be a wiring problem at the solenoid end.

Greengas

So. Got back to the rig. As I was just starting to insert the wrench, Sarah says "let me try the switch one timr" and sure enough, the slide worked. We moved it in and out several times to make sure. I guess it likes a ladies touch. But now I am prepared if it happens again. One final question, is that junction box the same one that services the levelers or are they at each individual leg? Sure hate to open a valve and have a leg collapse.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

So you said you hear the pump running when you press the button ? so the switch is working. If it is a sticky solenoid valve you could probably fix it with a few taps with a small hammer. it might work better if someone pusses the switch while you tap on it. Don't hit a hydraulic line and break a fitting. LOL

danemayer

So. Got back to the rig. As I was just starting to insert the wrench, Sarah says "let me try the switch one timr" and sure enough, the slide worked. We moved it in and out several times to make sure. I guess it likes a ladies touch. But now I am prepared if it happens again. One final question, is that junction box the same one that services the levelers or are they at each individual leg? Sure hate to open a valve and have a leg collapse.

Sometimes the valves for the legs are at the legs. Can't say for sure on yours. If it's 4 point with stabilizers, I'd guess they're on the legs. If 6 point, I don't know. But even so, to get motion, the pump has to run in the correct direction while the valve is open. If it were going to collapse, the whole rig would fall down as soon as you hit the retract.

The switch is working, but it's a double pole. One pole operates the pump and the other operates the valve. So it could be a bad switch. You might want to get ahold of a spare switch just in case. If you have to replace it, take a picture of the wiring on the backside before disconnecting any wires.

Also, since you recently has some battery issues, make sure the battery connections are clean and tight.

Bgthomas

If I have a problem at BV, I know who I'll call!