slides stop pulling in

wingfoot

Actually they are both +. But yes, just move the wires to the new breaker. That is assuming that your wires will be long enough. If not you will have to get at least one wire of the same guage.

Peace
Dave

OK, now I'm really confused...I thought I'd call Heartland and order my 80amp Bussman...WRONG..I talked to Ryan in customer service and I quote.."We do not recommend doing that and do not suggest you do that nor will we support you on doing this". Duh! I told him that Lippert had published an update on breaker replacement (50 to 80). He was aware of this and I asked him if Heartland had expressed their concerns on this...YES...His suggestion was BAD BATTERY...Well, It's new I said...No comment from Ryan...

So, what is a guy to do? Those Heartland owners that still have warranty on their unit...this could pose a problem...Just saying

Larry

wingfoot

Here is some more information on the 80amp breaker replacement. I talked to Lippert service department about swapping a 50amp for a 80amp. She could not find any information on this procedure. I gave her the service notification number #0058. She asked me to hold on while she checked and came back and said she could not find the document. I could tell by her demeanor she really didn't want to discuss this any more..hmmmmm.
So, I'm totally confused now...Did Heartland tell Lippert to stop recommending this or did Lippert withdraw their "fix"....

Below you will see a PDF of article #0058
You will also see a PDF on Lippert's service documents.
Note, that #0058 no longer exist in the list.

View attachment 80 amp breaker.pdfView attachment Lipper Tech. support page topics.pdf

jnbhobe

Its amazing how they change their minds that fix and one putting two 50 amp breakers in paralell has been a lippert fix for 10 yrs. back when I had a Keystone Challenger

Pizzaguy

Our slides will will do this in cooler weather in the spring and fall also when it is around 40-50 degrees . I was planning on switching to the 80 amp breaker this spring. I hope somebody from the factory or Lippert will answer this for all of us. Sounds like several have had this happen. I know it is not the the battery in our case either. What is the correct fix Heartland/Lippert???

57chevyconvt

I am experiencing the same problem when taking in the last slide when it is about 2/3 of the way in. Wait a about 15 seconds and the pump will start again. This has just started since the weather has turned cooler/colder. I normally have the RV hooked to shore power when moving the slides so that I know that there is sufficient volts/amp to the hyd. pump. Guess I will pay a visit to the auto parts store and buy a larger capacity (amp) circuit breaker. BTW - I keep the battery and other terminals/lugs clean and greased with Di-electric grease so that there should be no loss of voltage/amps to the pump. Is there any other electrical component that causing a voltage drop when operating the hyd. pump?

Pizzaguy

I agree with Jim. It's an easy fix. Just do it and get on with enjoying your RV.

Both of these responses are great but neither of them address the question. " Just buy a breaker" they say. Well, the last few threads talk about an 80 amp to fix the problem and there is a 50 amp in there from factory. So do we "just go buy a breaker" in 50 amp or 80 amp????

branson4020

Icantre Member
Both of these responses are great but neither of them address the question. " Just buy a breaker" they say. Well, the last few threads talk about an 80 amp to fix the problem and there is a 50 amp in there from factory. So do we "just go buy a breaker" in 50 amp or 80 amp????

You can buy a 50A breaker just like the one that is already there and connect it in parallel. That will give you about 100A. Or parallel a 40A with the existing 50A. That will give you about 80A. Not as clean an installation as the single 80A breaker, but in this case, electrically just fine. It's really up to you - its largely a matter of convenience and esthetics.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
As in my previous post, I got my 80a breaker through Heartland, and it is working perfectly. You will need at least an additional lenght of wire. The original breakers are mounted on the power strip.

Also don't use a 40 & 50 amp in parallel and I would not try to use 2 - 50amp's. Do it right the first time and you will not have to do it again or have a problem.

If you would like to see some additional photos please let me know and I will post some.

BC

fawsty

TXBobcat;

I am having these same problems. I spoke to a friend who's an electrician...he laughed at me when I told him that the fix would be a second 50 amp unit in parellel, as that would not solve the issue with the first unit tripping, thereby shutting the power off still. I plan to put the 80 amp unit on. Can you show pictures of how and where you did yours please? Also, where did you get the breaker, from Heartland? I would have thought it would come from lippert...
Thanks for any and all the help you can give me. Steven

jnbhobe

I am having these same problems. I spoke to a friend who's an electrician...he laughed at me when I told him that the fix would be a second 50 amp unit in parellel, as that would not solve the issue with the first unit tripping, thereby shutting the power off still. I plan to put the 80 amp unit on. Can you show pictures of how and where you did yours please? Also, where did you get the breaker, from Heartland? I would have thought it would come from lippert...
Thanks for any and all the help you can give me. Steven

fawsty; I think your electrician friend has series and parellel mixed up. If you tripped one breaker power would still flow thru the other until that one tripped if wired in parellel.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The idea behind two auto reset breakers wired in this way is that when the first one trips the second one takes over while the first one waits to reset. This way you will always have power, you wont over load the wires and the circuit will still be properly protected.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

The idea behind two auto reset breakers wired in this way is that when the first one trips the second one takes over while the first one waits to reset. This way you will always have power, you wont over load the wires and the circuit will still be properly protected.

Peace
Dave

Dave:
The way I see this working is that the 2 50 amp breakers in paralell add together giving you a capacity of 100 amps. One one of them trips the limiting capacity is now 50 amps. If your load is pulling more than 50 amps, the 2nd breaker should soon trip also.

fawsty

Ok, that may have been my fault in the way I explained it to him. I ordered a new breaker last night, and will install it when I get it. I ordered the 80 amp unit so I can just do a simple replacement. I saw the lippert posting that recommend this. The only question is, if the wire feeds are heavy enough for the 80 amp breaker, or do I have to replace the wire to a heavier gauge to keep it from tripping?

branson4020

Icantre Member
Ok, that may have been my fault in the way I explained it to him. I ordered a new breaker last night, and will install it when I get it. I ordered the 80 amp unit so I can just do a simple replacement. I saw the lippert posting that recommend this. The only question is, if the wire feeds are heavy enough for the 80 amp breaker, or do I have to replace the wire to a heavier gauge to keep it from tripping?

Its probably 6 ga stranded. Its only a couple of feet, its hanging in air, and would likely exceed 50A for only a few seconds. Its fine.

TedS

The size of the wire determines how much voltage drop you get for the current and the wire capacity to not overheat the wire while current is flowing. The short wire length, not significant voltage drop, and short running time, not create hardly any heat in the wire, should not be a problem for the wire that is there.

Circuit breakers in parallel carry equal current, one 50-amp breaker should not open before the other if the motor is drawing 80 amps. Each breaker will be passing only 40 amps. The service dealer that measured the current draw on my trailer measured 71 amps when operating the slides. My one 50-amp breaker has been tripping also and I will be replacing it with one 80-amp and not worry about the existing wire size.