SOLVED: Residential Fridge problem

porthole

Retired
Re: Inverter for fridge problem

If they are replacing it with the MS2012, I would purchase the $200 inverter to get me by for now, and let them replace it with the MS2012. That is a top of the line high-end PSW inverter/charger worth about $1500.

No cat in this round - but I would wait for that Magnum as well.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

our 2014 Savannah built Jan21st 2014 had damaged bedroom slide seals. The seals appears to have been damaged by solvent during the painting process as they were fatigued and dissolved.
Thankfully the factory shipped the correct seals the first time, which cannot be said for the awning they shipped. The door side slide awning was dealer installed as the results of a outside entertainment option ordering snafu.
The factory had our complete VIN number but still shipped a BROWN awning. Has anyone every seen a Landmark with BROWN awnings? The dealer was forced to pull a black awning off a stock unit as I was not prepared to make another trip to the dealer assuming the factory would ship the correct awning.

We have a brown awning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hunter11

I was informed late yesterday that one of the most updated inverters (Magnum I am assuming) was included with the new slide seal they are sending us and I should have it by tomorrow. I will try and get the inverter installed over the weekend but will only be able to test to see if it will keep the fridge running for a few minutes without power. It is to hot down here to disconnect power and see how long the fridge will run on battery power. If this new inverter does get the fridge to run on battery power it will be the middle to the end of August before we hit the road with it for a real time test. We are keeping our hopes up that the correct slide seal and a good inverter were shipped this time as this is the forth try for both. We just want to get these last two warranty issues behind us and hope we don't have anymore.

Willym

I'm not sure of your exact wiring arrangement. However, to test the inverter supply can you not open the circuit breakers feeding the converter and inverter transfer switch, and thus simulate no shore power?

I was informed late yesterday that one of the most updated inverters (Magnum I am assuming) was included with the new slide seal they are sending us and I should have it by tomorrow. I will try and get the inverter installed over the weekend but will only be able to test to see if it will keep the fridge running for a few minutes without power. It is to hot down here to disconnect power and see how long the fridge will run on battery power. If this new inverter does get the fridge to run on battery power it will be the middle to the end of August before we hit the road with it for a real time test. We are keeping our hopes up that the correct slide seal and a good inverter were shipped this time as this is the forth try for both. We just want to get these last two warranty issues behind us and hope we don't have anymore.

bdb2047

And it may be called something unrelated as to what it does, such as "economy"
The Newport had a Samsung Rf 197 the push button on controls is called economy it shuts off the dehumidifier/heat strip that keeps moisture from forming. You both are correct!:eek:

alethaj

Just back from taking our 2015 Big Horn 3755FL to dealer to get the inverter traded out ...same inverter ..same problems...it took them longer to put it in than it ran...kicked off in about 1 minute...Heartland said they will send a "new" reworked inverter..the "new" inverter had the circut board reworked....that should be in... maybe tomorrow...whopeee another 100 mi. rt to the dealer..and I expect the results will be the same...Hope eveyone has a great 4th..we will be spending ours in the driveway..

Hunter11

Well I was told a new inverter would be in the box with the new bedroom slide seal but it was not. So no update from me this weekend.

alethaj

I am happy to report that a 2nd replacement inverter was installed today and ...wait for it......IT IS WORKING...it was the same model the 1012 Mangum but had been rewired..the circut was rewired..
we left it on for about 3 hours before we pluged it in..hopefull we will not encouter any other poblems...looking forward to miles and miles of fun travels..plan on going to Canton Tx the end of the month..Fridge now will make the trip for us...Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend

Hunter11

alethaj, thanks for giving an update. I should have received the same updated Magnum today but I guess it went out in a separate box or they just forgot to put it in the box with the new slide seal like they said they would. Maybe it will show up the first of new week. At least now I have hope that the new inverter will work. I like you hope our issues with this trailer will soon be behind us and we can start enjoying it.

Fonz46

I have a 2014 Bighorn 3570RS with a residential refrigerator that have been having the same problems as so many others on this thread. My inverter would shut down soon after switching on, or would run for a while and then shut down. I called HL customer service, who sent a replacement inverter, but had the same exact issues as the original. Called HL customer service again and was informed the replacement inverter was in fact the same as the original and was sent by mistake. They shipped another inverter, which I received and installed today. This new inverter looks identical to the first two, but is working perfectly. I removed power from the refrigerator and let it warm up to outside temperature before powering on the inverter and turning on the refrigerator. I figured this would be the worst condition for the inverter since the compressor would have to be running at full load to cool the unit. The refrigerator cooled down normally and was doing great after being on for 4 hours. I monitored the AC voltage coming out of the inverter which was running right at 120 volts. The fan on the inverter cycled on once and cut off and the temperature of the inverter was slightly warm. The customer service tech explained the difference in this inverter and the original is that the current one has been modified to produce a modified sine wave (MSW) output whereas the original was a pure sine wave (PSW). Evidently the MSW is able to better support the peak currents needed when the compressor is running. They also said the MSW output is not detrimental to the operation of the refrigerator. We are leaving very soon on an extended trip and will put the unit through a thorough work out and will report back if we have any issues. Good job Heartland!

porthole

Retired

The customer service tech explained the difference in this inverter and the original is that the current one has been modified to produce a modified sine wave (MSW) output whereas the original was a pure sine wave (PSW). Evidently the MSW is able to better support the peak currents needed when the compressor is running. They also said the MSW output is not detrimental to the operation of the refrigerator. We are leaving very soon on an extended trip and will put the unit through a thorough work out and will report back if we have any issues.

Interesting repair - product update. Does the not detrimental also apply to the electronics in the fridge?

I'm using a MSW to run my Dometic cooler freezer and ice maker with no apparent problems. But I think the cooler uses an AC to DC transformer internally, so that would solve any MSW PSW issues coming in.

Last edited:

Miketnsa1

Hunter11, sorry about your continued slide seal problems...I imagine the fact that it's such a simple repair makes it that much more frustrating

Hunter11

I received an upgraded Magnum inverter yesterday and got it installed last night. Unfortunately I will not be able to try it out until early Saturday morning. With temps here between 95* and 100* I am not going to shut the power off to test the inverter and have to re-cool the trailer. I will give it a shot early Saturday morning before it gets to hot. I did notice the paperwork said 1800 watts surge.

rod_s

I think that if you shut off the breaker in the breaker box for the refrigerator and turn on the inverter you should get an accurate test while still running all of the other circuits in the rig including the air conditioners. Power goes from the breaker box to the transfer box which since there is no shore power to it will switch over to inverter power. The only negative to this test is that the batteries will continue to charge but you find out if the inverter is going to work. If the refrigerator is cold try opening the door till the compressor turns on. Somebody correct me if this is wrong. Good luck, I am hoping this works.

caissiel

Also trip the converter breaker and the batteries will also be tested. I would do it home before the trip. Monitoring the time and drain.

Miketnsa1

I received an upgraded Magnum inverter yesterday and got it installed last night. Unfortunately I will not be able to try it out until early Saturday morning. With temps here between 95* and 100* I am not going to shut the power off to test the inverter and have to re-cool the trailer. I will give it a shot early Saturday morning before it gets to hot. I did notice the paperwork said 1800 watts surge.
So does your new Magnum have the same 1000w shell with the electronics inside reworked? Or did they send you a Bigger 1800w Magnum? I can't wait to hear how your new unit performs in 100 degree heat...Hopefully you'll test with a Hot Frig...If it can take your Freezer from 100 to -6 Degrees and hold it while your TV is running? I think it's safe to say your problem is solved! Just put mine in the shop yesterday for the same problem