Timbrens

padre44

They work great on my 2016 F250. Easy to install. I didn't tow more than getting the 5tth wheel home without the Timbrens, so really don't have a good comparison. I only know that the rig tows great now. I would not have gotten them if the bracket had to be welded on. I don't know if your 2017 F350 would need them. Specs for the 2016 F250 & F350 were almost identical. I've read that the 2017's are more beefed up so you might not need them. I've heard many negatives about air bags so wouldn't have gone that way.

dewwood

I have had Timbrens which were ok but caused some problems with a rougher ride when not towing. I went to air bags and they were better. I traded to a one ton SRW and decided to see how it worked and that was three years ago and I am still running the stock suspension. The truck rides great empty and has plenty of spring for when loaded. I would agree with others to wait and see how the truck works before adding something you may not need. It can be added at any time and you might not have to weld on your frame which could possibly void your warranty.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Dick you have a 2017 F-350 on the way. F-350 ...... Don't spend a dime until you try it out and see if you even need anything. I'm thinking you won't !!!!
You seem to be just like me anxious as heck to get our new toys. This is going to be a long 8 weeks.
The only thing I'm buying for the new truck is a roll of that bubble sheet insulation to cut to size and stick up in that massive sunroof while it's 100+ degrees here.
The truck comes with every thing else ready to go.

BigGuy82

Dick you have a 2017 F-350 on the way. F-350 ...... Don't spend a dime until you try it out and see if you even need anything. I'm thinking you won't !!!!
You seem to be just like me anxious as heck to get our new toys. This is going to be a long 8 weeks.
The only thing I'm buying for the new truck is a roll of that bubble sheet insulation to cut to size and stick up in that massive sunroof while it's 100+ degrees here.

I actually had a more elegant solution for the sunroof heat issue - I didn't get one! I've had them in my last two trucks and didn't use them more than maybe a dozen times. However, the truck has every other concievable option on it that is currently available.

Regarding waiting, I don't have much of a choice anyway. I've already decided not to go the welded bracket route and both Timbren and Air Lift seem to be very non-commital on availability dates. I'm still thiking there has to be some pivot movement with all of that pin weight, even if it's slight. That said, I hope you are right as I really would like to not spend the time or money.

Now, on the subject of air driven train horns: I am absolutely unmoveable. I will order them from Kleinn as soon as they are available!

SNOKING

We hunted down a RAM without the 1200 dollar sunroof. We leave the shade closed 99.95% of the time on out Buick Rainier!

Thanks but no thanks!

Jess, I would be carefully that the bubble wrap does not cause heat build up in the sunroof glass and blow it out!

We had a window blow out in the boat last summer while no one was near it. I was report to sound like a gun going of. It was slid back over lapping the rear one. Sun had been on it all day, and as it cooled it blow out. I had a million pieces of glass to clean up.

Chris

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I actually had a more elegant solution for the sunroof heat issue - I didn't get one! I've had them in my last two trucks and didn't use them more than maybe a dozen times. However, the truck has every other concievable option on it that is currently available.

Regarding waiting, I don't have much of a choice anyway. I've already decided not to go the welded bracket route and both Timbren and Air Lift seem to be very non-commital on availability dates. I'm still thiking there has to be some pivot movement with all of that pin weight, even if it's slight. That said, I hope you are right as I really would like to not spend the time or money.

Now, on the subject of air driven train horns: I am absolutely unmoveable. I will order them from Kleinn as soon as they are available!

As far as air horns check out Air Horns of Texas. A lot of us in the Texas/Louisiana area have ordered from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

We hunted down a RAM without the 1200 dollar sunroof. We leave the shade closed 99.95% of the time on out Buick Rainier!

Thanks but no thanks!

Jess, I would be carefully that the bubble wrap does not cause heat build up in the sunroof glass and blow it out!

We had a window blow out in the boat last summer while no one was near it. I was report to sound like a gun going of. It was slid back over lapping the rear one. Sun had been on it all day, and as it cooled it blow out. I had a million pieces of glass to clean up.

Chris
Chris You just gave me a good idea thanks.
I will cut that bubble insulation to size the take it to the upholstery shop and have it covered with a material that matches my interior. As long as they sew in a seem every 6" it will roll up and store under the back seat.
I'm on it thanks for pointing that out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

IronJ

I have the sunroof in both my trucks and my wife's x5 has a GIANT panoramic roof...

I just have my window guy tint them when he does the other windows. We use a solar rejection film which blocks 99% uv and 50% ( the film we used claims 70%) or more of the thermal energy (only certain wavelengths of light pass through)...it definitely makes a HUGE diff...

It's about 50$ to do that one window but come on? Your already blowing upwards of 65k on a truck (before all the cool mods in my case..lol)..don't stick ugly junk on That beautiful piece of towing awesomeness...!! Lol..

Edit ( 3m Crystalline film s what he uses)

Also on the subject ( kind of) I have installed retractable window shades on EVERY one of our vehicles...they are the bees knees!! Get em...you'll love em!!

http://www.eclipsesunshades.net/

J

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have the sunroof in both my trucks and my wife's x5 has a GIANT panoramic roof...

I just have my window guy tint them when he does the other windows. We use a solar rejection film which blocks 99% uv and 50% ( the film we used claims 70%) or more of the thermal energy (only certain wavelengths of light pass through)...it definitely makes a HUGE diff...

It's about 50$ to do that one window but come on? Your already blowing upwards of 65k on a truck (before all the cool mods in my case..lol)..don't stick ugly junk on That beautiful piece of towing awesomeness...!! Lol..

Edit ( 3m Crystalline film s what he uses)

Also on the subject ( kind of) I have installed retractable window shades on EVERY one of our vehicles...they are the bees knees!! Get em...you'll love em!!

http://www.eclipsesunshades.net/

J

OK thanks I'll try that first

SNOKING

This is all reminds me why we sought out a dealer stock truck without a sun roof. Flew to Denver, Co to buy it from John Elway. Had fun driving it 1400 miles home in two days. Trust me you lean a lot about your new truck that way. 407 miles on a Monday afternoon, 660 Tuesday and 333 miles Wednesday morning. "how does this work? Shot gunner dug into the owners manual!" 80 MPH is Wy and Eastern Ut was a cake walk with the 3.42 gears.

They would not have John come it and talk to me even though I baby sat him in Port Angeles, Wa, think early 60's! Chris

BigGuy82

Just want to swing this back to the original subject: Timbrens. So, I've just bought a 2016 Ford F350 diesel dually. Many of you have advised waiting before doing any suspension "tuning". However, I just revisited the Timbren site and they claim that these things reduce/eliminate "jounce". OK - dumb question: what is jounce and do these things actually reduce it?

jam20ster

Jounce is the jolt or rough up and down feeling/movement in this case being the rear suspension. I used timbrens on my last vehicle. I was pleased with them, but on my new setup the 5th wheel pin weight is much more than the timbrens could handle. Timbrens are a heavy duty bump stop. Depending on your weight you are hauling you may even need airbags which are rated for up to 5000#'s.

IronJ

The "Jounce" they referr to is the springs hitting the solid urethane bumpstop...so basically a timbren is a padded bump stop...

They air lift 5000 series actually have what amounts to a timbren inside the bag...hence why they say you can run them with 0 psi (the reg bags have to have a minimum pressure to avoid damage)

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

WOW , You already gave up :/
The 2017 is a completely new animal.
I can't believe you couldn't wait 8 more weeks with me.

IronJ

Either way same engine and drive...great truck either way...lots of new technology on 17..i really want a new one...but mine is a freaking STALLION so no rush....im sure I'll have a new stallion in the lot at some point... ...but I'm having fun with my "old" pony...and I ain't even cracked her all the way open yet!...but the 17 has all those cams!!...! And tpms.....and retractable steps and good headlights......arrrrhhh.....so hard to wait!

BigGuy82

WOW , You already gave up :/
The 2017 is a completely new animal.
I can't believe you couldn't wait 8 more weeks with me.

Nope. I needed a truck and Ford's OKTB date keeps slipping week after week. I'm sure it will be a great truck, but the '16 is a proven performer and for me the drivetrain is key. The rest is nice but not necessary.

Good luck with the new ride.

Pirana

Cool, so I can jump in here, I just got a 2016 DRW F350 to tow my 390MBL with a hitch weight of 2,580lbs empty...so as you can see on my signature I had a '10 F250 with the Firestone Airbags...it was a good combination plus I was able to keep the truck leveled which was good deal. I needed to put 85 psi of air to bring the almost 4" of sag back up! I think the bags are rated at 100 psi if not mistaken. I thought I was too close to the max and when bumps and dip, specially dips, came up I could feel the trunk oscillate a lot and felt the bags were been put thru a lot of stress, specially at 60-65mph. So when I decided to upgrade to the F350, again I knew Fords have a tendency to sag no matter which model it is, so I wanted to use the airbags again. But then I found out about the Timbrens and read some of the reviews from fellow campers and kind of liked the idea of not worrying about a blown airbag taking out a brake line, since they do go very close to the max air pressure.

So coming up on my next 6 hour trip I went ahead and ordered a set....now mind that there is really no savings between a basic airbag set up and the Timbrens so price wasn't a determining factor. The Timbrens were extremely easy to install and looked the part! So how they perform? They do what they are suppose to do...they prevent the sag and help the uncontrolled bounce when hitting a dip or hard bumps. So am I completely satisfied? Yes and no...more than to be a little safer, I hate the aesthetics of a sagged down truck, so with the Timbrens the truck still sags about 2". Driving wise, when unloaded I can feel the difference, since the truck does hit the Timbrens hard since I have about 3/4" space. Now I didnt installed the spacer which says if your truck has the peg style perch, the spacer will touch it and seat in it, hence alleviating the sudden bump feel. That did not occur with the air bags since they are always in contact with the axle and always running around 5-10psi.

Would I buy them again? Probably not, and would probably go back to the air bags but not because they dont do the job, but because I would like the option to actually completely level out the truck when towing. But in that case, I would have to buy a completely equipped air system and not run around with an portable tank to fill the bags.

This pic is with the Timbrens
20160723_105458_zps3imjjltd.jpg

Actual pic of Timbrens installed without the 1/2" spacer, you can see that they dont touch the peg and the instructions clearly state to use the spacer and that the Timbrens will rest on the peg...so I will install the spacer and give it one more try.
20160717_163424_zpsou6o5ibn.jpg

PS-the signature pic is the F250 with 60psi on the airbags...lots of sag.