Tow Max about to get next victim

scottyb

245/75 16's have almost the same diameter of the Towmax. In the Michellin XPS Rib, it has the same weight capacity of the 235/85 16, which is 1.1" larger diameter. I chose the latter, but if I did it over again, I would use the 245/75 due to tire clearance. They were never a problem, it just bugged me that they were so close together.

Jim.Allison

The Goodyear G614 were an option for my rig, but no-one tried to sell them to me. I had no idea that I was buying tires that were barely capable of towing it to a dealer then to a permanent location, ST tires are not designed for continuous duty like an LT tire is.

Why does Heartland use these c*** tires ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I was on a Cummins forum reading about the same issues with Keystone trailers.

MagnoliaTom

One more question...I'm trying to choose between maxxis or bf Goodrich commercial t/a. Both about same price. Bfg has a lower load rating but guy at tire shop says he puts them on box trucks and delivery vans all the time. He spoke highly of these. Both are about the same price. My question, should I stick with maxxis for the heavier weight rating or get the LT tire? Both are similarly priced and with my budget

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We owned our old trailer for 12 years and it had LT tires on it . . .

Still had those same tires on it when we traded it in and never once worried about the tires.

Ever!

MagnoliaTom

Well thank you all for your advice. After much consideration I have pulled the trigger on the maxxis 235/80 tires. They are actually "R" speed rated, even though they tell you 65 mph, 3578 lbs. cargo capacity, load range "E". Actually ended up ordering from eBay (discount tire direct) because they offered a $100 off coupon for orders over $400

DT store and discount tire direct were more expensive and didn't offer the coupon. Do in 3-5 days I'll have some new shoes for the Elkridge

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Btw, if you call a Discount Tire store, they will price match others. I saw a price on Discount Tire Direct, with a online rebate, they matched it and gave me the rebate off, as well.

Be sure to get Discount Tire's road hazzard coverage, and ask for FULL METAL valve stems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagnoliaTom

Update:
Forgot to do this sooner. I ended up not getting the maxxis tires after all. I tried to buy them but the $100 off coupon had expired. My fault for not making up my mind. I knew they were good tires but I was still not 100% sure they were what I wanted. So I revisited my research and decided to get the sailun s637. They arrived today and I'm glad I got them. Seem very heavy duty.

justafordguy

I think I'm going to order the sailun also. If you dont mind, Where did you end up ordering from and what did you pay?

MagnoliaTom

I think I'm going to order the sailun also. If you dont mind, Where did you end up ordering from and what did you pay?

Got them from SimpleTire.com

Paid 152.99 each
Plus 21.05 shipping each

I think someone said you can get them from NTB but I cannot confirm that. Got mine in 2 days. Ordered Wednesday and delivered to my door on Friday.

Jim.Allison

I bought a set of tires here a while back and the dealer matched the internet price. Here we can avoid sales taxes if we buy online. But in this case the tax would be 15 per tire vs 21 for freight. Local would be a better deal; for me anyway. You should be able to find that tire in the industrial sector in your town.

justafordguy

I would be surprised if anyone here in my town has them but I'm going to call around Monday before I order from Simpletire.com

bobca1

I paid $1050 out the door for 5 sailuns installed (9% LA tax). Local tire shop, they got them from local distributor delivered the next day. I also checked simple tire online but by the time I added in shipping and install was about same.

Jim.Allison

Well now you can be comfortable that you do not have Towmax on your rig. Be sure you get a good TPMS while you are in the mood for spending money.

MagnoliaTom

Well now you can be comfortable that you do not have Towmax on your rig. Be sure you get a good TPMS while you are in the mood for spending money.

I bought a TST 507 when I learned I had blow max tires on the elkridge. That was about a week after I joined the forum and learned how truly terrible those tires are.

Jim.Allison

As far as 5th wheel components are concerned, more specifically; tires, axles, bearings, springs, and hubs. The 5th wheel and travel trailer community often overlooks the industrial community where products and services are provided at better pricing and and better reliability.

As a former industrial sales rep, I hardly ever do business with consumer outlets if I can get it through a industrial commercial supplier.

"Just in time" marketing, requires warehouses full of goods just waiting to be purchased and delivered to local suppliers. In my area San Antonio and Austin are small compared to Houston, Dallas and the El Paso, Tx/Juarez Mexico markets and we have everything here and they dang sure have everything there.

When you are buying goods and services not specifically for an RV, you are getting cheap parts, and poor service. The Sailun tires bought locally by the OP were destined to be on a truck somewhere until they were diverted to a life of luxury mounted to one of our rigs.

I hope that others will start looking at the industrial sector as a good back up to using RV dealers and consumer outlets. Although the OP found the tire at a consumer outlet, it was available in his town because of industry not for RVs.

PS as soon as I get these taxes done and the Oak leaves raked up, Im going to get a set of Timken bearing and CR seals for my rig. Im going to do a great hand pack job, and insure that my spindle nuts are adequately secured. I will get them off the internet or an industrial supplier here in SA. I wont be buying them at an RV dealer or northern tool or even an auto parts store.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
PS as soon as I get these taxes done and the Oak leaves raked up, Im going to get a set of Timken bearing and CR seals for my rig. Im going to do a great hand pack job, and insure that my spindle nuts are adequately secured. I will get them off the internet or an industrial supplier here in SA. I wont be buying them at an RV dealer or northern tool or even an auto parts store.

And if you are worried about keeping your warranty intact, make sure you document the job (video of you doing the entire job with that days newspaper in it as proof that you actually did the job on that date) and all of the reciepts.

And scan them and keep them in your RV at all times in case you need said warranty while on the road.

Last edited:

bobca1

My Sailin S637 is marked as ST tire,
Tom yours also trailer use only?

Speaking of LT vs ST when I was trying to sell my used tow max on CL half the callers asked me if they could install them on their truck. No matter how much they offered me I refused to sell them for that purpose. Imagine that a blowmax on a truck doing 75mph+ down the freeway

The Sailun tires bought locally by the OP were destined to be on a truck somewhere until they were diverted to a life of luxury mounted to one of our rigs.

Jim.Allison

Which warranty would be voided?

And if you are worried about keeping your warranty intact, make sure you document the job (video of you doing the entire job with that days newspaper in it as proof that you actually did the job on that date) and all of the reciepts.

And scan them and keep them in your RV at all times in case you need said warranty while on the road.