Tow Max about to get next victim

whp4262

Got to campsite today. Tried to put x-chocks on the off door side and they wouldn't fit. Scratching my head I thought wth?? After closer inspection I realized the treads seem to be separating. Now I need to find a local tire shop (we are 4 hrs from home) to get these time bombs off.
View attachment 34952View attachment 34953View attachment 34954View attachment 34955View attachment 34956

Guess I'm lucky they both didn't blow on the trip here.

Yup when the tread starts to get rounded or ballooned out like that it's a pretty good sign of broken cords and the beginning of tread separation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kosanko

Ok, I am going to say my piece, why is it that WE all buy nice 5th wheels from Heartland that HEARTLAND supplies with inferior tires and now we as consumers are burdened with the unexpected added expense of replacing all of our tires to be able to use our RV's. I know everyone is complaining about TowMax and telling everyone to get them off of their rigs ASAP once they purchase but nobody is blaming the TRUE culprit and that IS HEARTLAND for purchasing the inferior tires that they are providing on NEW RV's. I would expect that a quality manufacturer who prides itself on customer service and quality equipment would have by now after the hundreds or even thousands of TowMax complaints would do right by there customers and offer replacement tires ****. I have had a blowout, and have had all of the remaining tires replaced on my 5th wheel. The four that didn't blow, 1 had 10 bubbles on the inside of the tire after dismount, 1 had a patch on the inside of the tire that had been repaired which I was never informed of prior to purchase "so I basically bought a new RV with a used tire" and the two remaining tires both had broken plys. And for probably less than $1000 difference in price from what HEARTLAND buys the TowMax for I could have had quality tires from the factory. FWIW, Dynamic tire offered my $125 to buy back the TowMax, Heartland offer me Dynamics telephone number and nothing else, taking no responsibility for installing inferior tires on my 5th Wheel nor even showing compassion for the $2500 worth of damage to the side of my RV.

TowMax is not the problem Heartland is because they know TowMax are junk, but for the sake of a few $$$ they do not care and once it is sold it is YOUR PROBLEM not ours

Last edited by a moderator:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ok, I am going to say my piece, why is it that WE all buy nice 5th wheels from Heartland that HEARTLAND supplies with inferior tires and now we as consumers are burdened with the unexpected added expense of replacing all of our tires to be able to use our RV's. I know everyone is complaining about TowMax and telling everyone to get them off of their rigs ASAP once they purchase but nobody is blaming the TRUE culprit and that IS HEARTLAND for purchasing the inferior tires that they are providing on NEW RV's. I would expect that a quality manufacturer who prides itself on customer service and quality equipment would have by now after the hundreds or even thousands of TowMax complaints would do right by there customers and offer replacement tires ****. I have had a blowout, and have had all of the remaining tires replaced on my 5th wheel. The four that didn't blow, 1 had 10 bubbles on the inside of the tire after dismount, 1 had a patch on the inside of the tire that had been repaired which I was never informed of prior to purchase "so I basically bought a new RV with a used tire" and the two remaining tires both had broken plys. And for probably less than $1000 difference in price from what HEARTLAND buys the TowMax for I could have had quality tires from the factory. FWIW, Dynamic tire offered my $125 to buy back the TowMax, Heartland offer me Dynamics telephone number and nothing else, taking no responsibility for installing inferior tires on my 5th Wheel nor even showing compassion for the $2500 worth of damage to the side of my RV.

TowMax is not the problem Heartland is because they know TowMax are junk, but for the sake of a few $$$ they do not care and once it is sold it is YOUR PROBLEM not ours

They are replacing the tires with a different brand, it may take a while to be able to happen on all lines.

Remember that Thor owns Heartland. It's more likely this was a Thor contract for thousands and thousands of tires across many many brands of Thor's subsidiary rvs. Changing something like that can't happen overnight... In fact, in 2013 we questioned the Tredit Rep at the National Rally, and they said the manufacturer was making improvements to the tire, and adding a warranty. So my guess is there was pressure applied to TowMax at some point to produce a better product since the contract was for a long term.

All this is speculation... But walk around an RV show and I guarantee you, no one has better tires on their coaches, except maybe the higher end models because they need G or H rated tires.

I looked at a competitive 16k SOB at the show, it had "Westlake" load range E tires on it. Again, these are made in China, so who knows their reliability.

but in no way are you obligated to take the tires that are on the trailer when you buy. You can negotiate new tires and switch them before you even buy the product. For all new potential RV owners, DO THIS!!!

scottyb

Kosanko, the way I rationalizrd it to keep my sanity was; If the trailer came with high end tires, they (HL) were going to charge you as much or more than you can have them installed at Discount Tire or purchase and install from Tire Rack. That price could have been in optional equipment or built into the base equipment price of the unit. Either way, they would already have 1000-1500 miles on them, Unless you did a factory pickup. They would also have been towed by some delivery driver at who knows what speed and what pressure. I look at the Towmax as sacrificial delivery tires that need to be replaced with fresh high quality tires of your choice, as soon as it leaves the lot. That's precisely what I did.

Marble Falls is a cool town . . .

We stayed there for a week out on Lake LBJ back in 2007!

If anyone is passing through . . . you MUST stop for pie at The Blue Bonnet Cafe!

John D, you discovered a gem in the World Famous Bluebonnet Cafe. I live about 20 min from it. Breakfast is good too. Homemade glazed doughnuts the size of a saucer.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
John D, you discovered a gem in the World Famous Bluebonnet Cafe. I live about 20 min from it. Breakfast is good too. Homemade glazed doughnuts the size of a saucer.

Yes, we went there for meals several times while we were in the area.

Matter of fact, I am having my morning coffee today in my favorite coffee mug . . . that I bought at the Blue Bonnet Cafe!

I might need to get another one as the ink is starting to wear off of this one!

BBCcoffeecup-small.jpg

JohnD

Do I get membership if my tires didn't actually "blow"

I'm wondering the same thing . . .

Mine haven't actually blown, but are basically destroyed after our axle and wheel bearing blowout in January, plus the recent discovery that the springs are all shot on our Trail Runner and the trailer was bottoming out on the tires on our trip to Arizona.

I'd post pictures, but I'm on my iPad Air . . . and the image poster thingy only seems to work with a mouse and not touch screens.

pegmikef

Do I get membership if my tires didn't actually "blow"

I seem to recall that a special member category was set up for those suffering anomalies such as tread separation or bubbles or any other flaw and who took positive preemptive action to prevent an actual blowout by replacing all of the blow max tires with a real tire such as Gy 614s, Maxxis or others with a good track record.

MagnoliaTom

I want to get a set of maxxis 235/80 r16. Anyone have a set and know what the speed rating is? I can't find it anywhere. All I find is "high speed radial". Is it only 65? I try to keep it below that but my truck pulls best around 68-70 (doesn't switch gears constantly, 1800 rpm, 10 psi boost, etc). I'm hoping it is rated for 75

Jim.Allison

I worked this out the other night for a guy to get a set of LTs for about $600 out of pocket, let me know if you are interested in getting out of ST and onto LTs. I will work it out for you. BTW, the LT I have chosen have a speed rating of 106 MPH, so I don't think 65 mph will be a problem for them.

I want to get a set of maxxis 235/80 r16. Anyone have a set and know what the speed rating is? I can't find it anywhere. All I find is "high speed radial". Is it only 65? I try to keep it below that but my truck pulls best around 68-70 (doesn't switch gears constantly, 1800 rpm, 10 psi boost, etc). I'm hoping it is rated for 75

JohnD

I seem to recall that a special member category was set up for those suffering anomalies such as tread separation or bubbles or any other flaw and who took positive preemptive action to prevent an actual blowout by replacing all of the blow max tires with a real tire such as Gy 614s, Maxxis or others with a good track record.

I could have sworn I posted these earlier . . .

Anyway, maybe I'll get my BlowMax Club Card (will that give us discounts at Camping World?) as well once I change out my BlowMax's . . .

Which I will have to do before we go anywhere this coming camping season.

Mine didn't blow, but were destroyed by my recent wheel bearing, axle and spring failure (which caused the trailer to bottom out on the tires during our January trip to Arizona) on our Trail Runner.

Some worn out on the inside edge . . . the others on the outside edge . . . and all five of them gouged out by the trailer hitting the tires!

FrontAxlePassSide-IMG_3906.jpg TireRub-IMG_3903.jpg TireRubBadGougedTireIMG_3911.jpg TireRub-IMG_3907.jpg BadBlowMaxSmall.jpg

Our trailer and BlowMax's had a little over 5000 miles on them, and after reading all of the stuff about the BlowMax's, I'm always looking over my shoulder every time I go down the road with them, so maybe it is a blessing to get them off!

I've been thinking about Firestone Transforce HT LT tires . . . the Maxxis . . . Sailuns . . . or the Carlisles.

MagnoliaTom

I worked this out the other night for a guy to get a set of LTs for about $600 out of pocket, let me know if you are interested in getting out of ST and onto LTs. I will work it out for you. BTW, the LT I have chosen have a speed rating of 106 MPH, so I don't think 65 mph will be a problem for them.

I tried getting some lt 265/75 but discount tire said they wouldn't work on 6" rims and they "couldn't" or wouldn't do it

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

It's an ST tire, so 65 is it. We run about 63.

Jim.Allison

Tire Solution

http://www.trailer-wheels.com/16x7-...-Lug-3960-lb-Max-Load_p_606.html#.VPag-lPF8_N

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=675R6TAT&tab=Specs

Our trailers come with 16 X 6, 0 degree offset trailer rims. The tires that I'm suggesting have a 7 inch rim width specification. Personally, I would mount a 7 in rim spec on a 6 inch rim, but I know some if not most will not. So the rim suggestion is for the HiSpec 16 X 7, 0 degree offset.

The price for 5 assemblies are outlined below, this will get you out of ST tires and onto LTs

5 Tire and rim assemblies, $1450
Less $800 for selling your takeoffs on craigslist

$1450 - $800 = $650 out of pocket

bobca1

I went with Sailuns, had them installed 2 weeks ago. Cost me $1050 out the door to have 5 installed. Still trying to unload my 5 blowmax on craigs list. Was holding out for about $300 so far best offer is $180. This is LA area was thinking plenty of potential buyers (landscaper trailers?) but seems market rate for 5 blowmax slightly used is about $200. About 1/2 what you can find them for new that's probably about right.

Jim.Allison

I got $800 for the rims and tires. 4 aluminum and 1 steel. But I went with the 17.5 GY G114, so I had no use for the BlowMax anymore. Had I discovered what I outlined below, I would have done that in a new york minute.

I went with Sailuns, had them installed 2 weeks ago. Cost me $1050 out the door to have 5 installed. Still trying to unload my 5 blowmax on craigs list. Was holding out for about $300 so far best offer is $180. This is LA area was thinking plenty of potential buyers (landscaper trailers?) but seems market rate for 5 blowmax slightly used is about $200. About 1/2 what you can find them for new that's probably about right.

MagnoliaTom

I got $800 for the rims and tires. 4 aluminum and 1 steel. But I went with the 17.5 GY G114, so I had no use for the BlowMax anymore. Had I discovered what I outlined below, I would have done that in a new york minute.

I think you were lucky in selling yours for that price. I'm not sure I'd get that much. I recently bought a set of 20" wheels with michelin tires for my truck for $600. I sold my old wheels and tires (17") for $350. They also had michelin tires on them

Jim.Allison

LOL, its not luck, I promise you.

There is not a set of tires and rims on this planet that are not worth $800. You must add together all the value of the wheels, If they were buy new, the buyer would be buying mounting and balancing and paying sales tax. When you add that all together it comes to a heck of a bill for a guy that needs some tires for his ranch trailer, or horse trailer or utility trailer, or RV for that matter. And it is because of that; the buyer is looking to buy used, a nice washed, set of tires, with a reasonable amount of tread will bring a decent price. But you must be confident in your asking price, if you don't believe the buyer won't believe either.

BTW :

The price of a thing is what you say it is.

A sale takes place when the price of a thing, equals the value of a thing to a qualified buyer.

I think you were lucky in selling yours for that price. I'm not sure I'd get that much. I recently bought a set of 20" wheels with michelin tires for my truck for $600. I sold my old wheels and tires (17") for $350. They also had michelin tires on them