Towmax tire blow outs, Heartland may want your tire

Miltp920

Well, my replacement tires will not be Sailun. My tire guy called Sailun about mounting the S637 on a 16x6 rim, and Sailun said no. So I am back to deciding between Calisle 12 ply or GY G614, they both can go on my current rims. $660 or $1500.

Cool, I actually like Chinese...food. Sailun is going to be an improvement over China made blowmax, just due to G rating, and I dont have to spend $2000 on tires and rims to correct this problem. If they fail, I will surely report it here to help out my fellow countryman.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I will never use a Carlisle tire. I had them on a sob fiver and had side wall failure with damage to my fiver and only 2k miles. Inflation was checked before each day's drive and was at max as recommended. They would not stand behind the failed tire nor even help with repair to the camper. They make good low pressure tire for ATVs but are bombs for high pressure vehicle or trailer tires!

Miltp920

Sorry you had trouble with Carlisles. How heavy was your camper?
Were your carlisles 10 ply or 12ply? camper two axle, or three? Before or after 2010? These 12 plys are rated at 3960lbs. Since my blowmax were rated at 3520, I am gaining 1600lbs margin on total weight. I appreciate your response, I am just trying to understand as much as I can to compare my set up to yours.

I will never use a Carlisle tire. I had them on a sob fiver and had side wall failure with damage to my fiver and only 2k miles. Inflation was checked before each day's drive and was at max as recommended. They would not stand behind the failed tire nor even help with repair to the camper. They make good low pressure tire for ATVs but are bombs for high pressure vehicle or trailer tires!

superduty08

My old five was a 2003 and came with the Carlisle that blew. It's gross weight was 12500. It was a defective tire by all description and the tire dealer agreed but couldn't get any support from Carlisle. I think they were 10 ply. I was real disappointed because I liked their ATV tires.

Miltp920

Thanks for your respose, I am just trying to weigh my options. I heard Carlisle re-tooled after 2010 to improve their quality. There are not that many options to choose from for a heavy 5er.

My old five was a 2003 and came with the Carlisle that blew. It's gross weight was 12500. It was a defective tire by all description and the tire dealer agreed but couldn't get any support from Carlisle. I think they were 10 ply. I was real disappointed because I liked their ATV tires.

We have a 2013 Big Country 3596RE and our Tomax tires blew within nine months. We never drive over 60MPH and kept the tires at 80 PSI. We change tires to Good Year 614 and had no troubles since. Our original rims would allow us to up grade to the Good Year 614 that we run 110 PSI. Last year we had the trailer weighed at the Goshen Rally to confirm we were not overloaded on any one wheel or axle. Note the Good Year 614's run cooler than the Tomax tires.

Jim & Donna Heibeck
Fort Wayne, IN

Miltp920

Thanks for the response. Nice camper, your BC. Just looked on line, we are very similar in weight. GY wingfoot did tell me that their g614 would mount on my 16x6rims without seeing my aluminum rims. I know the G614.is the best option, but it is the most expensive option too. I was hoping to hear more from a two axle heavy rig who had success with any other brand 12 or 14 ply tire besides the G614. GY would not tell me how long or how many miles I might expect from "the best option". Everyone else will tell you 3-5 years for a trailer tire. I was wondering if twice the price got you twice the service life assuming proper load and inflation? OR is the G614 the same as any other ST due for replacement every 3-5 years. So do you know how much over 110psi the tire reaches under load, I assume they heat up some and increase psi a bit over 110psi?

We have a 2013 Big Country 3596RE and our Tomax tires blew within nine months. We never drive over 60MPH and kept the tires at 80 PSI. We change tires to Good Year 614 and had no troubles since. Our original rims would allow us to up grade to the Good Year 614 that we run 110 PSI. Lastq year we had the trailer weighed at the Goshen Rally to confirm we were not overloaded on any one wheel or axle. Note the Good Year 614's run cooler than the Tomax tires.

Jim & Donna Heibeck
Fort Wayne, IN

superduty08

Check out the sailun 637 g rated tire. They have the only certifications as American tires and are from China. My research found no negative comments on these tires and I went through several rv forums. They are coming in my new BH3260 and I have decided to accept them based on my research. I originally was going to swap my Michilen zips rib tires. The sailun run around $500 less than the Goodyear.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Sorry you had trouble with Carlisles. How heavy was your camper?
Were your carlisles 10 ply or 12ply? camper two axle, or three? Before or after 2010? These 12 plys are rated at 3960lbs. Since my blowmax were rated at 3520, I am gaining 1600lbs margin on total weight. I appreciate your response, I am just trying to understand as much as I can to compare my set up to yours.

I run Carlisles on my utility trailer. They have treated me well but that trailer never gets loaded near it's max rating either.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Miltp920

I was ready to pull the trigger on those s637. they are second best to GY, I think with that QA rating. My tire guy said he called Sailun and they recommended against mounting on my Sendel T09 rims. Even though my rims are rated at 3750lbs at 110psi. I think it was the fact that my rims are only 6 inches wide. I dont understand because the tire store I visited today said "if the factory OEM tire on my rim was 235 80, then they were comfortable putting any 235 85 on my rim since the width is the same. One will do it, the other won't? Maybe I should call Sailun.

Check out the sailun 637 g rated tire. They have the only certifications as American tires and are from China. My research found no negative comments on these tires and I went through several rv forums. They are coming in my new BH3260 and I have decided to accept them based on my research. I originally was going to swap my Michilen zips rib tires. The sailun run around $500 less than the Goodyear.

mobilcastle

I run Sailons and they have been on the rig since 2010. I don't know what my rim size is but they are factory rims. Max pressure 110. I think if the Goodyear's fit the Sailons will also fit. I know I will go right back to them when I need a new set. They are excellent tires. I have never read about a blow out on a Sailon in any forum. I started posting on these tires several yeas ago. I think Goodyear's are way over priced. JMHO-Good luck.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Don't know if you can safely mount Sailuns on 6" rims, but if not, since they both call for 6.5" rims, maybe the same is true for GY G614s.
I switched to the G614's on this rig and the last.
GY states to mount on a 6.5" rim width. Both rigs came equipped with a 6" rim width.
So anyone with the same wheels from the factory that have changed out to G614's are doing the same, probably without knowing.
I've had no issues in a lot of miles.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

I switched to the G614's on this rig and the last.
GY states to mount on a 6.5" rim width. Both rigs came equipped with a 6" rim width.
So anyone with the same wheels from the factory that have changed out to G614's are doing the same, probably without knowing.
I've had no issues in a lot of miles.

Peace
Dave

X-2 I did the same

Fishon458

Blew all 4 of the towmax tires in one month. 3 of them in a 200 mile trip home.
Both side skirts your damaged. Made for a long day with a high cost. Where do I start to get help with substandard tires on this toyhauler?