Underbelly Covering Cut

gtrnholm

I took my Big Country to the dealer to find and repair a water leak. During the search and repair they cut the membrane covering the underbelly and then repaired it with tape that they said was specifically made for this. What I want to know is this normal practice or should they have just removed the screws that holds the membrane on.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It's difficult to remove the underbelly if you are in a hurry! My guess is they took a short-cut.

We've removed a large area by cutting all the way across near the front (just behind our spare tire by the front legs) and in front of the rear stabilizers, then unscrewed the screws all the way between our cuts. Re-screwed and re-sealed with home window flashing tape. Has held up OK for 2 years. If it's a small area cut, good quality flashing tape will work just fine, but keep an eye on it.

brianharrison

This is a normal repair procedure - the tape they used is more than likely Scrim tape, or underbelly tape - which is specifically made for repair to the seams in materials like coroplast (underbelly material).

Hope this helps,
Brian

sjs731

I had to have a repair done while in Kentucky and while the guy doing the work wanted to drop the gas line etc. I had him cut the underbelly. I knew he was going to do a great job when he got out a square to make sure the cut was straight. Anyway, he used scrim tape to fix it and that was 2 years ago and it is still sticking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

Westwind

I cut ours to get to a Hydraulic slide piston that had come loose preventing our kitchen slide street side) from working. I used Gorilla tape after cleaning the corrugated cover and it has held up very well. Gorilla Tape is one sticky stuff and I highly recommend it it's been two years and it's holding up well.

Northern Virginia
+1 on the Gorilla tape. Not only is it really sticky, it is the thickest duct tape on the market.

If you want to make sure it never comes off, before applying the tape, spray a light mist of 3M Super 77 aerosol glue on the area of the coroplast that will be taped, let it set for about 1 minute, then apply the duct tape.

After a day it is almost impossible to remove.

mobilcastle

It is normal to cut it. When I cut mine I drilled holes along the cut and put some tie straps in before taping. If the tape comes loose the straps will hold it together.

Birchwood

When I had to cut the underbelly membrane to change my black tank I purchased some black tape from Pine Acres RV Moncton to seal the joint.This was 3 years ago and its still like new.It makes an easy access point for future problems.

JanAndBill

I had this happen as well, the only difference was mine was a warranty repair. Threw a fit with dealer, and called HL, they ended up replacing the whole section, and resealing it.

Birchwood

I had this happen as well, the only difference was mine was a warranty repair. Threw a fit with dealer, and called HL, they ended up replacing the whole section, and resealing it.
I am interested in knowing how they reseal the coroplast as I had water running from our Landmark for 2 days after travelling 8 hours in heavy rain.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Birchwood, you could completely seal off the underbelly.....but what a job it would be. You can't seal off under the propane tanks area, cause it has to be open in case of a leak. Your best bet is to drill a 1/4 hole in the low spots of the coroplast and any rain water will drain out. Did mine 5 years ago and no issues sense.

MTPockets

I am interested in knowing how they reseal the coroplast as I had water running from our Landmark for 2 days after travelling 8 hours in heavy rain.
We had gaps around spring hangars that allowed water intrusion driving in heavy rain. I had to pull down the corroplast to dry out a couple hot days. I then sealed those gaps by cutting flat aluminum strips to fit around the hangers and applying black sealant and screwing to the frame. No more leaks.