UNISTEEL® G614 RST- Anyone know them?

nscaler2

tdharley said:
I found out how to do the calculation.

If anyone cares its

.80 x 235 = 188mm........7.4"
.85 x 235 = 199.75mm....7.87"

I am not gonna worry about 47/100ths of an inch...less than a 1/2"

Wait a second if both tires increase by a 1/2" ...thats 1"...I only have 2-1/2" between tires now. Is 1-1/2" enough????

Did the same thing to our 3055 and had the same distance between the tires that you do. We got Michelin XP ribs 80x235x16 which made the distance between our tires 1 1/2". I wondered about it too. We drove them to Colorado and put about about 2500 miles on them with no trouble at all.

ChopperBill

I put on the 245/75 so I would have room for the Bal-Choks. They wouldn't have fit with the others just too close. Cant imagine having the tires any closer. But then of course that is just me. Have little bitty 10 ply balloon tires on my ATV trailer and they spin about a gazillion miles per hour and have almost 10,000 miles and they do just fine.

ct0218

TDH
Correct, it is 1/2 inch overall, but that only puts the tire 1/4 inch closer per tire, or 1/2 inch closer for the pair. You shouldn't have any problem. When I had my axle problem last year my port (street) side tires were only 1 inch apart when parked, and they never touched. Mine are 2 1/2 and 2 1/4 inches apart now.

svd

XPS Prices?

I got a price from Costco for $221 for the XPS rib. I assume that is out the door, but I am not sure. They told me if I dropped the trailer off for the day, they could install them. Is this a good price?

ChopperBill

I paid $220 each balanced and mounted. They wernt going to balance them because the never do on trailers but were happy to do it for me. Michelin had a $50 rebate that came to me in fast fashion at the time so the that made them less then $210 @. I thought I read somewhere that they have a buy three and get the forth free going on now. You might check it out.

on edit: My dealer just sold my take off Load Stars yesterday and is sending me a check for $200! Thought that was pretty cool of him. So that takes the tires down to about $170 @.

jbeletti

svd,

Even though your shop said they could install the tires, do youself a favor and double-check their equipment first.

I had a Farm and Fleet tell me over the phone they could install mine but when I got their, they had a puny floor jack that could not budge my trailer. And they had no bottle jacks.

I ended up removing them myself, one at a time in the parking lot, then reinstalling them after the tires got mounted onto my rims one at a time. What a night that was.

Anyway, it was my fault for not asking the right questions (what type of jack do you have / what is the ton rating etc.).

Jim

svd

Good point Jim, I remember reading your post. I have 4 heavy duty jack stands and a 20 ton bottle jack, I am also thinking about taking the wheels and tires in, and leaving the trailer home.

Uncle Rog

vangoes, my spec plate calls for E range @ 80#, my axels are 7000#, two E range tires @ 3000# EA = 6000#, does not work for me, that is why the G range came with the rig......

jbeletti

Good backup plan svd.

The kids running the shop at the Farm and Fleet had a lot of trouble trying to balance my wheels with the new tires. They had tons of weights all over them. I had the removed so mine are not balanced. I just didn't trust they were doing it right. They even had the latest computerized balancer.

Jim

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Jim Beletti said:
Good backup plan svd.

The kids running the shop at the Farm and Fleet had a lot of trouble trying to balance my wheels with the new tires. They had tons of weights all over them. I had the removed so mine are not balanced. I just didn't trust they were doing it right. They even had the latest computerized balancer.

Jim
I was told by several tire dealers that the wheels on trailers should be balanced using older balancers. The newer ones use the center hub to balance only and I needed a shop that has one that can use the lug nut holes for a true balance. The reason, was the wheels on trailers are not made to fit tight on the hub like auto and truck wheels. Ken

Forrest Fetherolf

Jim B.
If the wheel balancer indicates more than three ounces of weight per side of tire, I have the tires rotated on the rim 180 deg and rebalanced. This will usually reduce the amount of weights required. If the weights increase, then I replace the tire. It is not normal to have more than one area of weights per side. I use only a Coats spin balancer or equal and watch the process so I can see the balancer readout.

ct0218

You also have to check and make sure you can get in and out of the lot at the tire store, and that they have room to park you w/o blocking up their whole operation. In most of the tire stores in my area of NC and in Tallahassee I cannot maneuver in or out the entrance because of sharp turns and/or dips, or I'll put them out of business for an hour by blocking the doors. Also, that's a good point on these rims being lug centric rather than hub centric. I make sure my vehicle tires are always balanced on a Hunter 9700 series balancer, but that is strictly a hub centric machine I believe.

tdharley

I figure I am going to take off one, put the spare on, take one off the other side, get the tires put on , reinstall & then do it one more time.

I better ask about the balancing thing.

I paid $1,104.00 out the door, tax, balancing, replacing the valves & in NY state there is some tire reclimation fee.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Uncle Rog and anyone out there with 7,000# axles (at least in the 2006 models)...

My spec tag also showed 6,000# axles, a 14,000 GVRW and the wrong load range (at least I believe all three were listed - not sure because its now back in storage). I contacted Scott and new stickers were produced for both the inside cupboard door (CCC went up considerably) and the one on the hitch. I had not paid any attention until I was weighed at the rally last year and Stacy had put down figures from the front tag onto the form, including the 6,000# axles. Please check this out and ask Heartland for revised tags if you discover the same thing.

Uncle Rog

cdb, I will check that out as my sticker shows a gvw of 16k# AND calls for the E range tires. I have no spec sheet in the cabinet either.....thanks

Tom of Ypsi

Just a little info for those living in Mi or Oh, try Belle Tire. I got a quote for the Michelin XPS ribs $900 balanced out the door. The Goodyear G614 RST 235/85 R16 balanced out the door for $632. These are the best prices I have found yet. I am going to order one of these later this week when it warms up a little, don't want the installer to freeze.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Tom of Ypsi said:
Just a little info for those living in Mi or Oh, try Belle Tire. I got a quote for the Michelin XPS ribs $900 balanced out the door. The Goodyear G614 RST 235/85 R16 balanced out the door for $632. These are the best prices I have found yet. I am going to order one of these later this week when it warms up a little, don't want the installer to freeze.
Tom, I have the Goodyear G614RST 235/85R16 tires on our 2005 Mt. Rushmore,from the factory, run 110lbs and have had no problems.

Tom of Ypsi

Terry

Thanks for that info, I thought I read somewhere on the site that someone had the Goodyears. I thought it was Jim B who purchased them after taking ownership of his coach.

svd

Maxxis anyone?

I am also looking at Maxxis M 8008. http://www.maxxis.com/products/trailer/product_detail.asp?id=118

They are ST rated, 10 ply, and rated at 3400 lbs. They seem to have a good warranty, are widely distributed (Discount Tire here in Michigan), and I couldn't find any complaints on the NHTSA website. Also couldn't find any complaints on the other forums. Anyone have them on their coach?