UNISTEEL® G614 RST- Anyone know them?

tdharley

Thanks Rog

Now you tell me about the brakes??????

Nah only kiddin' I adjusted them the other day when I had the rig lifted. They were not that bad though. Took about 15 clicks to lock up, backed off 5. Probably should of checked the magnets too, but got lazy.

PS Rog you say it looks like a W with the middle flattened..........um...........a...."U"...like I said ??????? LOL

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Uncle Rog
Please feel free to hurt my feelings. If I can get them somewhere on the road next month and save some dough it would definitly be worth the hurt. Besides I can tell my dealer that I changed my mind, and to send them back to the distributor.

Uncle Rog

fireflipper, I buy a lot of tires from a broker in Laguna Hills, his original price was 227.50 with FET plus sales tax, when I told him they were for me he knocked off 100.00 and he paid the tax. I had them installed, balanced, brakes adjusted and wheel bearings greased for 60.00. If you are out on the road and can find a large market place a good deal would probably be around 900.00....similar to what tdh got with his rebates....

dennylm

Okay all you heavy weights (7000# axle guys :))! I need some clarification for my little 3055 with 14,000 GVWR and 6000# axles. And I'm fundamentally tire-stupid!

I ordered my trailer without the aluminum wheel option because I was going to have the dealer put Goodyears and American aluminum wheels on before I picked up the new trailer last week. Unfortunately, he had problems getting the tires in time. Pulled it home with the factory Freestar 235/80 R16 Load range E (Chinese) tires and had a slow leak all the way home on one tire.

Questions:

1) To replace my Chinese tires with Goodyears, which tire is right for my 14,000 GVWR 3055 Bighorn? G614RST 235/85 R16? 85 vs 80? Load Range E,F,G?

2) Should I move up to a load range F or G tire to give me better assurance of avoiding weight problems with the tires? If so, which load range?

3) If the Goodyear needs to be able to go up to 110# depending on the weight it is bearing, don't I need to be careful about which wheels I buy? Do you recommend a particular brand of American aluminum wheel that will match the 110# psi?

Thanks for the patience and any help you can give.

Denny

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Denny load range E is the minimum for your 3055. The support 3042lbs+-
You would not have to go to F or G unless you wanted to give yourself some extra piece of mind
I was looking yesterday and was told load range E is 10 ply, F is 12 ply and G is 14 ply. That is tread ply not sidewall.
In Canada on the west coast I was quoted $155 to $360 mounted and balanced for the different brandsfrom local brands to Michelin and good year Marthons.

Uncle Rog

dennylm,first check your spec plate and see what size / range tires your rig takes. Then make sure that it makes sense, my plate calls for E range tires at 80#. With 7000# axles carrying a weighed 12k# on the axles it has got to be wrong. My rig came with G range tires,that makes sense. I am only speculating but your 14k rig should only have 10-11k# on the axles, if in doubt go weigh it and add a 1000# or so. Choose your load range from there....UR...oh yeah if you hit a nail or road debri you are going down whatever the tire, I recommend a TPMS, after messing with my Doran for a couple of days I would be dumb not to use it...

ct0218

As Sailorand said, LR E tires would give you almost 12,200 of capacity for the axles.If you are close to GVWR on the trailer, or slightly over, then you would be running at near the max load for the tires. While the industry seems to not be concerned with that, I think that running anything at its designed max is not going to last near as long as it could at a lighter load. The only way to know for sure is to weigh it--pin, and each axle if possible. I prefer a margin as large as I can get, and if the wheels are only rated for 80#, then the tires should be inflated to 80# max. The Goodyear load and inflation tables here on the forum specify the max load by tire size and inflation. Personally, I just don't like pushing the limits. It doesn't cost that much more to go to a higher LR tire.

ChopperBill

Freestar tires!! Never heard of those!! What the heck are those?? Come on Heartland why dont you just put some decent tires on these things!! :mad:

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Dennylm
It seems that all your questions are pretty well covered except the rims. They need to match the weight rating of the tire. If you move up to a higher rating on the tires make sure that the rims support the smae amount of wieght.

phranc

Dennlm
Questions:

1) To replace my Chinese tires with Goodyears, which tire is right for my 14,000 GVWR 3055 Bighorn? G614RST 235/85 R16? 85 vs 80? Load Range E,F,G?

OEM would be what size you have now and load range 'E'

2) Should I move up to a load range F or G tire to give me better assurance of avoiding weight problems with the tires? If so, which load range?

Yes ,in my opinion. A 'G' would give better assurance

3) If the Goodyear needs to be able to go up to 110# depending on the weight it is bearing, don't I need to be careful about which wheels I buy? Do you recommend a particular brand of American aluminum wheel that will match the 110# psi?

Yes again , If you go to a 'G' rated tire and inflate to #110 you should replace the wheels with a higher rated wheel. But, look at your present wheels for a rating stamp.Might be on the inside. You may luck out and allready have the #110 rated wheels.
Others with more expertise will be able to help you on the aluminum /steel wheels and where to purchase..

svd

If you look at the inflation table for the Goodyear tire, it will meet the requirements of load range E at 80 psi, all we need for 6000 lbs axles, but you still get a G LR tire that should hold up very well. Anyone see a problem inflating these to 80 or 85 psi and running them?

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
I looked on my 07 3055 tires and they are the Chinese (Trail America) tires and they say on the outside side wall max 90lbs. cold ( I always thought they were supposed to be 80 max.). I checked my aluminum wheels and they are stamped for 110lbs. Looks like I should be able to go to the 'G' when I replace them. I just bought the Doran Pressure monitor for the 5th..../Doug

Uncle Rog

On the back side of the wheel in my case, you pretty much have to pull the wheel or crawl way around with a flashlight to see the stamp......

dennylm

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll look for G614RST 235/80 R16 in a load range F or G and aluminum wheels to match the max psi of the tires I pick.

I also drove over to Baton Rouge and bought the Doran tire monitor from Tim before we left to pick up the trailer. If I hadn't had it on the way back from the dealer, I probably would have had a blow out due to the slow leak I had. The monitors were worth every penny I paid for them when I think of the pictures I've seen of blow out damage to the trailer.

Thanks again for all the good info. This site is great!

Denny

tdharley

They dont make it in an 80, you gotta go for the 85. I just did it and it was no problem.

Also I had all 4 rims off and could not for the life of find the stamp. I also had the tire tech lookin.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have had several diffent rigs in the last two years of fulltiming. In addition we've had experience with both Michelin XPS Ribs and the Goodyear G614's. Both tires have given excellent service, however, you must be careful to use them in the proper application.

We previously had a very heavy TT that came with 15" D load rated tires and rims. We continually had tire problems and upgraded to E Load tires. That didn't work too well because we did not know at the time the rims could NOT support the E load pressure, they were rated at 65lbs and we actually split a rim at the weld (steel rim). We upgraded our rims to 16" steel welded rims and changed to the Michelins and never had another issue and put over 15,000 on them before trading off to the HR Alumascape.

The Alumascape grossed out at 16,900 with 7,000lb axles and came equipped with Goodyear G614 G rated tires and appropriate sized aluminum rims...ran those tires/rims for close to 15,000 and again...NOT ONE PROBLEM! Can't say much for the rest of the HR though!

Now have the Bighorn 3600RL, it unfortunately came with Goldway tires! They are, however, G rated LT tires and so far look good, but we are watching them quite closely!

Our experience is that LT tires of the proper size and load rating for your carried load are the ONLY way to go...In addition, BOTH of the tires mentioned are steel belted SIDEWALLS; this is what gives them the ability to take the stress of flexing when we make severe turns, etc.

We also use pressure pro and make certain we are ALWAYS running the proper tire pressure for the load we are carrying, which is in most cases between 105-100lbs. Good Luck and be safe!