UNISTEEL® G614 RST- Anyone know them?

tdharley

Never heard of them either way.

I never heard of Heartland either, but glad I found them.

I have though heard good things about the Goodyears & Michelins.

I dont want to be the guniea pig, I am going for the Goodyears.

BluegrassMan

Just for grims, I'm going to throw another number in the equation. When I was looking at my Landmark, before ordering, The factory rep was talking about tires on "his" brand of trailer. He asked what I was running on my Sea Breeze ? I told him 285-16 @ 80lbs X 6 tires. He said essentially you are running truck tires, I said say what? He went on to say look at the tread design, If the tread wraps around the edge, that is to give traction in turning. Then he showed me the tires on the Landmark. Large grooves in the tread, no tread on the edges (more like a commercial tire) and operate at 110lbs. he explained that these tires have better rolling resistance and won't grab when turning the trailer in sharp turns thus tearing up less grass etc. I haven't looked at my tires since this discussion started, but I think I have Trail America tires. I probably only have 3-4 thousand miles on them, AOK so far, knock-knock....since Feb 06'.

tdharley

According to Goodyear they developed this tire specifically for travel trailers & fifth wheel as per their spec sheet.

Heres a look at the tread.......

2z87zph.jpg

svd

TDH,
So you are getting the the G614 (G rated) tire, and installing it on your E rated rim (80psi) and inflating the tire to 80 psi. Is that correct? It looks like the tire is good for just a tad over 3000 lbs at 80 psi, but goes all the way up to 3700 at 110 psi.

tdharley

Doesn't seem right but I know, BUT, I do know the tires fail.

I have not heard of any rims failing. Although , yes, I have heard of one on the Trailer Life Forum. But I have heard of alot more tire failures.

I am going to weigh the rig and think I am going to be over on any tires and or rims. Atleast I will know I have a more reliable tires under me at any pressure.

I would rather take a chance on a over pressure aluminum rim than a proven failure of a tire at any pressure. If I find that my weights are that far over , a new pair of rims might be in my future. Cheaper than my deductible or playing with my passangers lives. A little overdramatic I know but their my grandkids.

Yup I am a little bit of a worrier, I bought 10 presciptions worth of Tamiflu , during the bird flu scare and you would really laugh if you know what I did for Y2K.

Last edited:

svd

TDH,
Not being critical, I agree 100%. I had never looked at the inflation tables for that tire, so it looks like at 80 psi you would have the same load rating, around 3000 lbs, and a much better tire. It doesn't appear you would need to inflate to 110 psi.

Tom of Ypsi

Went to get my Goodyear tires today and was in for a surprise. The dealer quoted me a price for the RTS tires not the RST. My new price is now $954 balanced out the door and because of the miistake they will adjust the brakes and check the wheel bearings and grease if necessary. The tires will be on my trailer this Friday..

tdharley

Tom

Thats still a good price I am paying 1100.00, out the door.

We have disposal fees in Ny. Balanced & new metal valves.

tdharley

Well I just got done switching the tires.

Since it would be tough to get the rig to the tire guy, I took off 2 at a time.

I found out a couple of things. My Sams club 20 ton bottle jack can lift the whole side of the BH with no problem. I always wondered if it would work and it does.

I lifted the side of the rig at the,for lack of the proper name, the joining shackle between the 2 leaf springs , also no problem . I was not too happy with the flat round head of the bottle jack in contact with the shackle and bent a "U" shaped joint that joined the jack to shackle.

All in all it went well. There was a considerable difference in the sidewall of the Mission compared to the Goodyears. My concern with the tires being too close due to the larger aspect ratio was unfounded, it was fine.

Oh yeah there was also a 50.00 per tire rebate so I saved a little. Total job $940.00

Last edited:

svd

Tom,

How much pressure are you running? I have been thinking about these tires myself, but am curious what they look like with 80 or 85 psi. Thanks

tdharley

For now I am running a 80 lb. I did not see any marking , anywhere on the rim for max. pressure.

I am going to weigh it when the weather breaks. Our first couple of trips are close to home.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

tdharley
Are you refering to the Goodyear G614 RST's 235 x 85R 16 . I just ordered two and the cost mounted and balanced will be about 550. How does that compare to what you have?

tdharley

I know I live in NY and overpay by alot but that seems like a real lot.

Be careful there is a RTS also. I think someone else on this thread mentioned a low price, but found that it was the wrong tire.

But if not go for it.

OH I just reread your post, that was for 2 , I paid 1140.00 less a rebate of 200.00 for 4

ASK FOR THE REBATE

Tom of Ypsi

Fireflipper,

$550 does sound high. I just had four mounted, balanced, greased bearings and brakes adjusted for $954 out the door. I was originally quoted for the RTS tires instead of the RST tires, about $300 difference, so make sure you get the right ones. I carry 110# in each tire for my Landmark.

Uncle Rog

Howdy guys, I won't hurt your feelings with how much I paid for the good years, I had them installed Sat,adjusted the brakes and gave the hubs a squirt of grease. To help tdh out, I had the boys in the shop weld up a little bracket for me that has a 1-1/2" pipe on the bottom 1" long with a 1/4" steel plate 3 1/2" wide with flared ends to keep the jack on the axle for jacking. It looks like a w with the middle flat. It works pretty darn well. I know you are supposed to jack up the frame but "in the field" that frame rail is pretty high for me!! And just a thought, I am amazed I had any brakes at all, the adjusters were out 100 clicks on ALL the wheels!!! The left rear bearings were almost bone dry also.........