venture landing motor question

sunriverman

Ref: 2010 , Hearland Sundance, the switch works fine underload extending the legs.
When I attempt to raise the legs it blows the 30 amp fuse. Works fine manually like there is nothing binding in the gear box.
All electrical connections are tight and the batteries are at 13+ amps
What am I missing? Thank You.
Rod

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you are operating your landing gear using battery power only the voltage from the battery can quickly go down if the battery is getting weak.
Are you plugged in to shore power? If not give that a try.

Peace
Dave

sunriverman

Yes, the trailer is plugged into shore power. Seems like there would be much less load on the motor as it lowering the unit ie, raising the leg.
Guess I could reverse the two black load wires to the switch to see if it blows the fuse on the way up.
thank you for the idea.
rod

wdk450

I would guess that you have some sort of short in the commutator/brushes area of the motor that is caused when the mechanical reverse rotation direction causes loose electrical components to short.

If you are buying a new motor LOOK AROUND A LOT on the internet/E-Bay. Most all of these motors are pretty much the same (there are some "heavy duty" ones), but the prices ranged from around $100 for Stromberg Carlson to around $500 for Lippert.

tlkidd

Is the fuse blowing when you start to raise the legs or when you are almost fully raised? I had a similar problem with my unit but it turned out that the legs were bottoming out at the upper level. I had to mark the legs so that I didn’t try to raise them to far. Hope this helps.