What did you do to your camper today?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Today' activities

My new vent lids and ladder end caps came today. Replaced the cracked endcap easily, then went on the roof to replace the vent lids. Thus began the three hours of up and down the ladder and having to fully disassemble the Heng fans in order to attach the new lids to the crank mechanism. Videos of replacing the lids show it as a 5 minute job. B. S., the lift bar does not move far enough to remove the lid or install the new one unless you detach the mechanism from its mounting to angle it enough to do it. With Heng fans, that means removing the interior trim and dropping the fan to get at the screws that hold the crank mechanism. Not as simple as it sounds. Also does not include having to make a replacement for the little mounting screw that slipped from your fingers in the bathroom and drops down the heat register you forgot to cover and having to fabricate a replacement from your longer on hand stock. Many fine strings of expletives were vocalized. Good thing the neighbors are gone with their 3 little girls.

Anyways, the new lids are on, the mechanisms work, the cracked ladder endcap is replaced (I now have spares) and I'm filling myself with after dinner adult grape juice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Today I removed and replaced the doors for the hydraulic/battery cabinet and the propane cabinet. Both had swelling due to water absorption and freeze/thaw over the past few seasons. I was lucky enough to get Jon Holbert's used doors from him (got his two large cargo doors earlier). Couldn't find them anywhere else. Fairly easy project.

Learned why the hydraulic cabinet door always seemed to need a hard tap to close. When they chopped out the opening, they left some excess in a corner and jammed the frame in place. Cleaned it up, the new frame slid in and the door works properly.

Geodude

Upgraded to a wet bolt system today. 20170909_155011.jpg

The old shackles were getting pretty elongated after only three years, and the magnificently cheap plastic bushing were worn through. I really wish this would have been built better right from the get go.

20170909_154914.jpg

Last edited:

Dennyha

Yesterday, I replaced the cheap CMC Chinese bearings on the driver's side of the camper with Timken bearings. I thought that I might as well upgrade the bearings while I was pulling the hub to repack the bearings. I still need to replace the curb side bearings.
I've been associated with the bearing industry for over 30 years, and I've never heard of CMC Bearings.
The wheels sitting on Timken bearings look better already. The removed bearings are sitting in front.

IMG_1356.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
No photos, but yesterday we replaced our shocks. We had MorRyde do a shock replacement, at the same time we had the SRE4000 suspension upgrade while we were near Elkhart (for the National Rally in June). We supplied appropriate Bilstein shocks, which are considered a replacement trailer shock. However, before we even made it from Elkhart to Nashville, one of the shocks was busted. We replaced it, there. A second busted between Nashville and our home in Texas. The other two looked suspect.

Finally, we had a weekend with decent temps, and no other plans, so we could do the other three.

In the process, we also moved our coach on our site, about 15 feet, back to our "fall/winter" location, which gets more sun and away from acorns and leaves from the trees.

In the process, we discovered a baby rattlesnake!

With no way to kill it, we got help from a neighbor. He brought his trusty shovel and dispensed with the little bad dude. (Sorry, he was cute, but no, not on my site, and not near where my 78 year old neighbor walks around in his flip flops.)

What an adventure!

CoveredWagon

No photos, but yesterday we replaced our shocks. We had MorRyde do a shock replacement, at the same time we had the SRE4000 suspension upgrade while we were near Elkhart (for the National Rally in June). We supplied appropriate Bilstein shocks, which are considered a replacement trailer shock. However, before we even made it from Elkhart to Nashville, one of the shocks was busted. We replaced it, there. A second busted between Nashville and our home in Texas. The other two looked suspect.

what replacement shocks did you use. Any idea why the others failed ?

TravelTiger

what replacement shocks did you use. Any idea why the others failed ?

We replaced the Bilsteins with a standard trailer shock from Amazon, by AP Products. At the time in Nashville, it was all we could get delivered in 2 days, and was within our budget at the time.

Why the shocks failed? I can speculate, but don't know for sure. There are too many unknown factors.

Last edited:

Alan_B

Sorry, I am a bit confused here. Did the Bilstein's fail, or was it the the Amazon Products shocks that failed?

thanks

TravelTiger

Sorry, I am a bit confused here. Did the Bilstein's fail, or was it the the Amazon Products shocks that failed?

thanks

The Bilsteins failed. Here is a pic of the first one we discovered. Oil from inside the shock was everywhere. Once we cut and pulled the blue rubber boot down, you could see it was compromised.

7063958811c1bd787b8103be48eab894.jpg

PS I went back and edited the previous post to be more clear what failed.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I replaced the stock shocks on the 3010 with the Monroes suggested here on the forum. 2 of those failed first trip out.
Still running the stock shocks on the current 3270. When and IF I replace them, I think I'm installing the Joy Rider shock kit

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Finally got and installed my Torklift steps today. Love them so far...

f13a9364f14993fd09b9836271a75a44.jpg

Dan & Sally Sullivan

I was working on our new 2018 3575EL. I was cutting and putting in drawer liners. Figuring out how to setup the kitchen, which was harder than I thought it would be. We had a 2008 Big Country for 10 years.
All in All, lots of work, but so excited about our new rig!
Sally

BobTheBuilder

20170914_094833.jpg20170914_161823.jpgBuilt a deck from shipping pallets. We are on a private lot that slopes and will be here for about a year. I went to a pallet broker to get ones that were in decent condition, all the same size and square. They were $6 each and I used pressure treated 2x6s and 2x4s to make supports.

Alan_B

View attachment 54565View attachment 54566Built a deck from shipping pallets. We are on a private lot that slopes and will be here for about a year. I went to a pallet broker to get ones that were in decent condition, all the same size and square. They were $6 each and I used pressure treated 2x6s and 2x4s to make supports.

Wow that looks nice! When I read "a deck from shipping pallets" I was not expecting something this nice.

CoveredWagon

Fixed the ****** entry door. It's been a problem from day two on. The delivering dealer sort of fixed it but. I unscrewed the rain gutter and pushed it out if the way, then filed down a few interfering spots on the door. Amazing what a 1/16 of an inch can do. Now you don't have to slam the **** thing 😆