what does your 3055RL weigh?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Wyleyrabbit, a SRW 3/4tn will come with 245 tires, a SRW 1tn will come with 265 tires. The 265's will give you a higher weight rating. I put 265's on my 3/4 tn. Without going out and looking, I believe they are rated about 3100#'s each at 80 psi. Our 2955 is the same as a 3055 in weight. If you can, get the 1tn dually. my 2cts Bob:D

wyleyrabbit

Hi everyone,

Based on the great information here (thank you to everyone that posted their numbers), I think I'm going to go with the Silverado 3500HD DRW truck. My calculations are for the GM trucks; not sure what might be different with a Dodge or Ford.

From the information posted by fellow forum members thus far, the average pin weight is 2,781 lbs. Assuming that (in rough numbers) a full tank of diesel fuel weighs about 250 lbs, the 5th wheel hitch is about 200 lbs, and I have 800 lbs of people (including the dog) in the truck, there isn't really much left to think about in the decision.

The 2500HD max payload is 3,059 lbs, minus the approx. 1,250 lbs of people, fuel, and hitch leaves only 1,809 lbs for the king pin; that puts the average 3055RL hauler overweight by 972 lbs and the lightest unit posted over by 766 lbs.

Going over the calcs once again for the 3500HD SRW, I have max payload is 3,592 lbs, minus the approx. 1,250 lbs of people, fuel, and hitch leaves only 2,342 lbs for the king pin; that puts the average 3055RL hauler overweight by 439 lbs.

Finally, going over the calcs for the 3500HD DRW, I have max payload is 4,728 lbs, minus the approx. 1,250 lbs of people, fuel, and hitch leaves 3,478 lbs for the king pin; which would put the average 3055RL hauler under by 697 lbs and even accommodates Sailorand's 3,240 pin weight with 238 lbs of payload capacity to spare. :)

I realize that the vehicle manufacturer's engineers have likely put in some wiggle room above their figures, but I guess I'd really rather not venture into the twilight zone, both for safety and for peace-of-mind.

Thoughts?

itsbeertime

This thread has been very enlightening. One of the units I'm looking at is a 3055. So now I can be even more overweight than I already am.:eek: But I'm glad to see (not) that I won't be alone. I always wondered how many people knew how overweight they were. Just watching rigs go by me down the highway scares me sometimes seeing what people are towing with a 250/2500. Most probably don't have a clue though. It's a nice change here to see at least people are aware. And it's be even nicer if we all could afford that nice new 1 ton.

itsbeertime

You mean like the one I bought? :cool:
Heh...looking at your sig now you're going to need a bunkhouse. I've got one in perfect condition. I'm going the opposite direction. No longer need a bunkhouse.:D

Congratulations btw!

itsbeertime

Teenagers. One no longer comes along and the other isn't that much farther behind. But I still want a floorplan where I can accommodate 4 people when needed. That is the tricky part, and why I've been looking so long. Oh, and I'm not buying a new truck right now either. So that narrows things down even more. Otherwise I'd probably get a 3550TSL.

wyleyrabbit

That's why we went with the floorplan we did. The nine year old gets the hideabed, and in a few years he will likely be in a tent with his friends and in a few years after that might stop coming with us. The baby will start out in a playpen for sleeping, then eventually a sleeping bag on an air mattress or on the hideabed.

Chris

itsbeertime

That works great. My kids are spoiled and have never heard of a tent. And they are both tall. I'm going to have to add a dinette to whatever and it's going to be a fight as to who gets stuck sleeping on it because they are roughly only 5-1/2' wide. But I'm more thinking one of my kids and a friend, so it may not be as much of an issue. When they sleep over here they lay where ever without too much of a compliant. Tent. HA! That would guarantee them to stay home. :)

wyleyrabbit

Teenagers like sleeping in tents, don't they? I know I always did. A good sleeping bag on a good air mattress...ahhh, I'm going to miss those days. ( ok, no I won't but that's my story for my kids for when they become teenagers! )

Chris

itsbeertime

Not teenagers today. I did too. We used to pitch a tent in the back yard just for the **** of it and sleep out there. No more. Things have changed. Kids never go outside anymore. If they don't have their tv, video games, A/C, cell phone, etc. the end of the world is near. On the other hand, it snowed here the other day...for the first time in years. An inch, lol. They closed the schools for TWO days. HA! Every kid in the neighborhood was out playing in it...the first day. The second day they were all recovering from too much excersie the frist day. Not a soul was outside. :)

wyleyrabbit

Itsbeertime,

Agreed on teenagers. :)

So how are you coming along on deciding on your new rig? Have you researched all of the construction differences between the BH and the BC? For us, we really wanted full aluminum framing, not some hybrid with wood framing mixed in.

Next, we decided against anything with a rear kitchen because we'd lose the nice big window, and apparently they're bouncier when towing.

Chris

itsbeertime

Well, the truck thing is making it more of an issue. I really like the floorplan of the BC3550TSL as it can be used for more than just a bunkroom. But it's to big for the the truck by far. Yeah, I know, there's people pulling Landmarks with my truck. But I won't.

I was under the understanding :) from reading and talking to people that the BH and BC are the same construction with the framing and wood and stuff, especially the wood framing in the rear. I was told that it's the "upgrades" that are the diff, not the construction. So if that is the case it's a moot point. I've been looking at Cameo's for the last year. So it's tough to compare. I really like them and would be quite happy with one but the floorplan thing has been the issue. The wife saw a rear kitchen she really liked last year, but all in all we don't use the kitchen hardly. Eveything is outside. At least for me. The kids are another story. So I'm having a hard time deciding. We're going to look again on Saturday. Probelm is one dealer 1-1/2 hours one way has a few, and the other dealer 1-1/2 hours the other way has a few others. I need to see them in person. I can look at a floorplan and have a real good idea, but until you walk into it and sit in it there is no way to know for sure. Our current oen we were in for 20 seconds when we bought it and it was like "this it it". I haven't had that feeling since.

Last edited:

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I use a srw F350 to pul my 09 3055 with complete confidence. My Chevy buds claim they like the drw much better than their former srw Chevies. Since mine pulls very stable, I enjoy the easier parking and less expense with the srw.