Where should we hold the 2014 North American Heartland Owners Rally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

funntheson

Re: Close to a decision on where to hold the 2014 North American Heartland Owners Rally

dbylinski,

No, not on my "own turf". Maybe just, let's say less than 1500 miles, or so?

New Jersey to Goshen, every other year=700 miles.

California to Goshen every other year= 2200 miles.

Goshen is like a "home rally" by comparison, for the majority of the Eastern US.

HOC is losing the West IMHO.

And please don't confuse economics with lack of appreciation.

I think everyone appreciates the great job Jim does!

Trace

Very well said Trace. I agree 100%.

wino2

Re: Close to a decision on where to hold the 2014 North American Heartland Owners Rally

Trace hit the nail on the head. Also some of us poor soles are still working. Also no one has said they wanted it 10 or 15 minutes from our homes. Just not clear across the country. I think most of us in the West could live with a two day tow, for a rally, maybe three days. If Wyoming was a success why can't you go back there again.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

Trace hit the nail on the head. Also some of us poor soles are still working. Also no one has said they wanted it 10 or 15 minutes from our homes. Just not clear across the country. I think most of us in the West could live with a two day tow, for a rally, maybe three days. If Wyoming was a success why can't you go back there again.

Even year rallies are alternated between the west and the east. In 2010 the rally was in Nashville, TN. In 2012 it was in Gillette, WY. In 2014 it will be back in the east and in 2016 it will be back in the west. I'm sure Jim will ask for suggestions a couple of years out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

funntheson

Even year rallies are alternated between the west and the east. In 2010 the rally was in Nashville, TN. In 2012 it was in Gillette, WY. In 2014 it will be back in the east and in 2016 it will be back in the west. I'm sure Jim will ask for suggestions a couple of years out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, so we have 3 years in a row that we have to drive 4500-6000 miles round trip, followed by one where we might get lucky and only have to drive 2500-3000 miles round trip.

How about y'all?

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired

The truly unfortunate part of this discussion is that for every one member pleased by a location choice there is always one who is disappointed.

I still work and cannot attend Goshen as it is the last week of school. I have been a member, Chapter Leader and now Northeast Region Director. Since joining in 2009 I have attended 1 North American Rally. 1 out of 5 possibilities. Yes, it breaks my heart that I can't go just like some others may be feeling about the 2014 decision right now.

No matter what, a location choice will upset some members. I also fully understand your position on the West Coast. I get it! I did my homework and discussed the issues with Jim prior to the Gillette Rally. I am on your side!

Lou_and_Bette

Jim, to paraphrase a famous quote and in a voice only you can hear "if you book it, we will come"

funntheson

Just to be clear, I am not trying to upset anybody, or place blame on anybody. The truth is, I would love to attend a National rally, but we are not at the stage in our lives that we can travel that far to attend.

TXTiger

Lou_and_Bette, you are so correct. I have booked it and I will be in Goshen in June. See you there. Dave, Amy and I will be waiting for you. Dave I have not forgotten about the bottle of Single Barrel JD ! ! !

Jim, to paraphrase a famous quote and in a voice only you can hear "if you book it, we will come"

porthole

Retired

If Wyoming was a success why can't you go back there again.

No doubt in 2015 it will be out there someplace, maybe all the way to the coast. Won't matter to us, we couldn't do Wyoming and certainly couldn't do the west coast.

I don't see any issue with splitting the off years between east and west, and we go accordingly.

As to the Goshen rally being "only" 750 miles for some and 2000+ for others - that factory came before the HOC, and Elkhart - Goshen is the RV captial of the world.

funntheson

How about this: 1 year Goshen, 1 year Eastern US, 1 year Western US?

This would at least make it possible to attend the National rally once every 3 years.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
And from another perspective, Goshen is most likely the only rally we will attend. Since we use a seasonal site from May through September in the "Tip 'o' the Mitt," pulling off it to travel more than a day and be gone more than a week isn't in our plans. I can understand the problems of traveling cross country for the rallies, but it's not likely that any solution will please both coasts at the same time. It is what it is.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
How about Hawaii? It's nice in June :cool:

Now that I'd consider doing! If we can get somebody with some pull with the US Navy to provide a couple of aircraft carriers for us to pull our rigs on... Last time I checked, they hadn't built a bridge yet. ;)

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
okay John, count me in on that Aircraft carrier. As long as you pay your taxes it should be free, right

tracks

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to update you on the 2014 rally.

I have decided that the 2014 rally will be held generally in the east.

That said, I have 2 finalists for 2014:
  • North Carolina State Fairgrounds in Raleigh, NC
  • Bethpage Camp Resort in Urbanna, VA
I plan to make a decision by April 15th.

Thanks, Jim for careful consideration, either location will work. The Bethpage Camp is very nice facility and close so that gets my vote for what it worth. The hospitality you’ll find in Virginia is hard to beat and happy to have your money.

:cool:Tracks

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
FWIW, Wikipedia says Gillette Wyoming is in the "West" by about 100 miles, as South Dakota is not considered to be a "Western" state.

Of the 12 rallys listed by Jim in the OP, we now know 10 of them will end up having been in what would be considered the East, with one in the "West" and one to yet be determined.

I can see where this might look a bit lopsided to the casual observer.:) Trace

Last edited:

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Now that I'd consider doing! If we can get somebody with some pull with the US Navy to provide a couple of aircraft carriers for us to pull our rigs on... Last time I checked, they hadn't built a bridge yet. ;)

John, if I can get tractor/trailers and construction equipment to Trinadad-Tabago. We can get TVs and 5ers to Hawaii. Ocean barges! We can make anything happen. Only limited by our wallets. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.