50 Amp cord reel

porthole

Retired
Don't let any sales goon tell you what YOU need or want.
You let yourself get talked out of any option and down the road when you think ........ I really wanted XYZ, should have never let him talk me out of it.

danemayer

I asked if there was a provision or notch in the door to close door for cord while hooked to shore power and he said no (sounds odd that there wouldn't be so to keep door closed). He went onto say that there is a switch to unroll as well as roll it up,

The factory installed reels have a door with 2 "notches". Each has a pivoting piece so it appears solid when not using the cord but allows you to close the door with the cord in use.

On the older reels you simply pulled the cord to unspool. Use the switch to retract.

New reels have a locking mechanism that requires a single press on the switch to unlock so you can unspool the cord.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Don't let any sales goon tell you what YOU need or want.
You let yourself get talked out of any option and down the road when you think ........ I really wanted XYZ, should have never let him talk me out of it.
Duane is oh so right. Most sales people only sell RVs, they don't actually own or use one.

Peace
Dave

Oregon_Camper

Thanks for the replies folks!!! Spoke w/ a sales rep and he himself would shy away from it, but will get me a price for it. He said too that the 50 amp cord only weighs 15-20 lbs (thought it was heavier than that). I asked if there was a provision or notch in the door to close door for cord while hooked to shore power and he said no (sounds odd that there wouldn't be so to keep door closed).

Sounds to me like your sales rep has no clue what he is talking about. I've had the reel from the start, so I don't know the actual weight, but it MUST be well over 20lbs. Of course the door is notched for the cord...it is actually notched in 2 locations. When not in use, the notch coverings swivel back to cover the opening. This door also locks.

If I were you, I would call another dealer, perhaps Holmans or Lakeshore....get a quote from them and let them explain ALL of the optional features to you. If your current rep was so misinformed on a power cord reel...what else could he have told you wrong information about.

Lakeshore saved me ~$15k on our RV....well worth your time to call.

Last edited:

pegmikef

In some of the replies, some said they use 30 amp cords. If you have a 50 amp cord, is the 30 amp used just as an extension to power pole w/ 30 amp and adapters to connect that cord to the 50 amp cord? For our current coach, I have 50 to 30 adapters, 110 to 30, 30 amp surge guard and a 25' 30 amp cord which has been used a couple times. Of these items, what should I keep upon selling coach? Guess too, should I get 30 to 50 amp adapters, 110 to 50 if it exists and a new surge guard/protector? Of the 50 amp surge guards/protectors, what's the verdict on type? Some hardwire, some not. Some have lots of features, others plain Jane but do the job.

I would keep the 30 Amp extension and all of the adapters. I use whatever combination of the adapters I need (i.e, here at the house I use the 110 20 amp to the 30 amp adapter, then the 30 amp to 50 amp adapter to connect to the power cord) You might need to pick up a 50 amp to 30 amp for using your 30 amp extension cord on pedestals without a 30 amp outlet. I would get a progressive fifty amp EMS (they will handle whatever Amperage you are hooked up to with regard to voltage). BTW, the power cord on my OEM power reel is 34 feet long which I think is a little longer than the cord you get if you don't have a reel.

avvidclif

I would keep the 30 Amp extension and all of the adapters. I use whatever combination of the adapters I need (i.e, here at the house I use the 110 20 amp to the 30 amp adapter, then the 30 amp to 50 amp adapter to connect to the power cord) You might need to pick up a 50 amp to 30 amp for using your 30 amp extension cord on pedestals without a 30 amp outlet. I would get a progressive fifty amp EMS (they will handle whatever Amperage you are hooked up to with regard to voltage). BTW, the power cord on my OEM power reel is 34 feet long which I think is a little longer than the cord you get if you don't have a reel.

My Cyclone came with a 45' 50A which is why I don't haul it unless needed.

NYSUPstater

Spoke w/ PI about the 50A EMS as when I went to their website, they had on home page their newest product (which is probly the same as suggested ( a PT 50X). Had a very nice and informative chat w/ them and answered my questions about this product. Would seem to fit the bill nicely. 1 question I asked was about lightning strikes and the way I took their answer was, kiss the guard good-bye and hopefully not your electrical items as the guard should be 1st line of defense should there be a strike within the system. Is that correct?

As of now, Tweety's is only place I found online that sells them besides PI. Has a locking tab which by looks of things you run a small chain or so thru it and around a solid object so it cannot be stolen or less likely to be. Kinda small chain IMO and lock. Guess will keep the honest ones honest.

danemayer

1 question I asked was about lightning strikes and the way I took their answer was, kiss the guard good-bye and hopefully not your electrical items as the guard should be 1st line of defense should there be a strike within the system. Is that correct?

Surge Guards and EMS surge functions are sacrificial in nature. A strike to the power lines nearby may produce a surge that fries the Surge Protector or EMS, but the idea is that the surge is interrupted before it gets to your gear.

But there's so much energy in a lightning bolt that if there's a strike within a couple of feet of the trailer, I think your electronics may get fried just from the static charge in the air.

One of our first camping trips was to Tyler State Park in Tyler, TX. A pretty violent thunderstorm passed through and convinced me to buy the EMS before the next trip.

BusManRG

I must have missed which unit/brand the OP is looking to purchase, so I can only speak to our 2017 Big Horn. The electric cord reel is one of the many reasons we went with the BigHorn over the SOB we were looking at. Hubby wouldn't be without it! And I have to believe that it weighs in at over 20 pounds. That sucker is heavy!! Not sure where they place the reel box on other models, but yes, the door is notched so it can be closed when plugged into shore power. I wonder if the sales person was thinking of an after-market reel that would be mounted in a storage bay? I have seen those and they were not able to close the bay door. Have never seen those on a Heartland though.

Sandy

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
The factory installed reels have a door with 2 "notches". Each has a pivoting piece so it appears solid when not using the cord but allows you to close the door with the cord in use.

New reels have a locking mechanism that requires a single press on the switch to unlock so you can unspool the cord.

Yeah but be very careful freewheeling that cord off the reel after hitting the release side of the switch. The reel is chain driven and one of the first experiences while still at the dealer after our PDI I spun the chain off the reel. Still at dealer, they fixed my boo boo.
I like the old style from previous rig better!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I must have missed which unit/brand the OP is looking to purchase, so I can only speak to our 2017 Big Horn. The electric cord reel is one of the many reasons we went with the BigHorn over the SOB we were looking at. Hubby wouldn't be without it! And I have to believe that it weighs in at over 20 pounds. That sucker is heavy!! Not sure where they place the reel box on other models, but yes, the door is notched so it can be closed when plugged into shore power. I wonder if the sales person was thinking of an after-market reel that would be mounted in a storage bay? I have seen those and they were not able to close the bay door. Have never seen those on a Heartland though.

Sandy

Our Big Country came with the option of a manual cord reel in the storage bay. It works fairly well, but does make access to contents a little more challenging from the off door side. It is much more helpful than trying to wrangle the cord by hand into the storage bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies folks!!! Spoke w/ a sales rep and he himself would shy away from it, but will get me a price for it. He said too that the 50 amp cord only weighs 15-20 lbs (thought it was heavier than that). I asked if there was a provision or notch in the door to close door for cord while hooked to shore power and he said no (sounds odd that there wouldn't be so to keep door closed). He went onto say that there is a switch to unroll as well as roll it up, it's hardwired in and a PITA if it goes down to operate manually.

In some of the replies, some said they use 30 amp cords. If you have a 50 amp cord, is the 30 amp used just as an extension to power pole w/ 30 amp and adapters to connect that cord to the 50 amp cord? For our current coach, I have 50 to 30 adapters, 110 to 30, 30 amp surge guard and a 25' 30 amp cord which has been used a couple times. Of these items, what should I keep upon selling coach? Guess too, should I get 30 to 50 amp adapters, 110 to 50 if it exists and a new surge guard/protector? Of the 50 amp surge guards/protectors, what's the verdict on type? Some hardwire, some not. Some have lots of features, others plain Jane but do the job.

Funny thing is overall, we are getting excited about a new coach and the agony of the wait. Makes looking forward to late April and May a lot easier and can't get here soon enough. May is going to be a busy month!!!!!

OK, Corning native here! We had a Newmar motor home There was a smaller bin on the side for the 50 amp cord and TV cable. just manually coiled it up in that bin. Not hard at all. We now have a Big Horn with a power reel which broke second time out! PITA!!!!!! If I could find a way to add a manual crank as back up, not sure I would even fix the electric. Camping world has had our unit for a month to fix numerous issues still no estimate of when we'll get it back. I see a lot of folks who have had little or no issues with the reel, but if they do, it's a bear to coil it back up.

jbeletti

OK, Corning native here! We had a Newmar motor home There was a smaller bin on the side for the 50 amp cord and TV cable. just manually coiled it up in that bin. Not hard at all. We now have a Big Horn with a power reel which broke second time out! PITA!!!!!! If I could find a way to add a manual crank as back up, not sure I would even fix the electric. Camping world has had our unit for a month to fix numerous issues still no estimate of when we'll get it back. I see a lot of folks who have had little or no issues with the reel, but if they do, it's a bear to coil it back up.

Shoreline Reels is owned by TRC. You can reach their tech support as follows:

Technical Support
At TRC we pride ourselves on our Technical Support for our products and services. You may reach a member of our Technical Support team by calling:
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. EST
Please call Tech Support at 800.780.4324 x 20311 or 727-812-0578 or

Send a Message to Technical Support

Shoreline Reels is owned by TRC. You can reach their tech support as follows:

Technical Support
At TRC we pride ourselves on our Technical Support for our products and services. You may reach a member of our Technical Support team by calling:
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. EST
Please call Tech Support at 800.780.4324 x 20311 or 727-812-0578 or

Send a Message to Technical Support

Thanks for the Info! Rewinding this by hand is about enough to drive a man to drink!:rolleyes:

mlpeloquin

First mistake, Camping World. Find an independent RV repair shop. Heartland works with most and they will get you in and out quickly. They depend on their good reputation so most do fantastic work. The longest my fifth wheel was in the shop was when my neighbors car rolled into my slide. It was still usable, so after getting an estimate, $1986.00, I took it out for a trip. When I came back the parts were in and I had it back in three days.

First mistake, Camping World. Find an independent RV repair shop. Heartland works with most and they will get you in and out quickly. They depend on their good reputation so most do fantastic work. The longest my fifth wheel was in the shop was when my neighbors car rolled into my slide. It was still usable, so after getting an estimate, $1986.00, I took it out for a trip. When I came back the parts were in and I had it back in three days.

Gotcha, Not a big Camping World fan but we bought it there three months earlier so wanted them to take care of the warranty work. Should have called Heartland to see who would be able to do the work.