50 Amp cord reel

jbeletti

50 Amp cord reel issue

So on my last trip out, my cord reel stopped winding. Took it into a service center who took the side of the reel apart and did some sort of pin realignment or some such and got it working again.

Cord has been used a couple times at the service center and at my home since then and today, went to reel it in - it started to reel in then stopped. Ugh!

Spoke to someone in the know at Heartland on the difficulty of replacing one. Pretty straightforward if you are super handy and have all the tools. But, on this full-body paint coach, repainting will likely be required.

The j-wrap has to be removed to do a replacement. The metal belt-line like piece that mates the j-wrap with the sidewall has to come off for the j-wrap to come off. The j-wrap has a screw in it underneath the plastic seal that goes around the rear cap. So that seal has to be partially removed. It's painted too, so that's going to crack off for sure :(

So instead of replacing the reel, I'm going to attempt to repair it myself. I have a call into TRC to discuss this. I'll likely hit the road in a week with a 25' 50-amp extension cord and use that until I get to some fair weather and am ready to tackle this repair.

Anyone ever made this repair?

danemayer

Re: 50 Amp cord reel issue

So on my last trip out, my cord reel stopped winding. Took it into a service center who took the side of the reel apart and did some sort of pin realignment or some such and got it working again.

Cord has been used a couple times at the service center and at my home since then and today, went to reel it in - it started to reel in then stopped. Ugh!

Spoke to someone in the know at Heartland on the difficulty of replacing one. Pretty straightforward if you are super handy and have all the tools. But, on this full-body paint coach, repainting will likely be required.

The j-wrap has to be removed to do a replacement. The metal belt-line like piece that mates the j-wrap with the sidewall has to come off for the j-wrap to come off. The j-wrap has a screw in it underneath the plastic seal that goes around the rear cap. So that seal has to be partially removed. It's painted too, so that's going to crack off for sure :(

So instead of replacing the reel, I'm going to attempt to repair it myself. I have a call into TRC to discuss this. I'll likely hit the road in a week with a 25' 50-amp extension cord and use that until I get to some fair weather and am ready to tackle this repair.

Jim, my old style reel was replaced at the factory last year. I didn't see what they did, but I don't think they had to paint anything.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

.......Anyone ever made this repair?

Question...still kinda on topic. Is there any maintenance we should be doing to these reels?

porthole

Retired

All the years of being relatively trouble free and in the past year they seem to be failing at in increased rate?

New source for the product? No longer made in Florida?

jbeletti

All the years of being relatively trouble free and in the past year they seem to be failing at in increased rate?

New source for the product? No longer made in Florida?

The reel I have, while the same brand, is different from those I've had in the past. This one reels out super easy and instructions state you need to hit the release button once before pulling the cord out. Maybe that has something to do with the failures... Failure to press the Release button before pulling the shore cord out.

Question...still kinda on topic. Is there any maintenance we should be doing to these reels?

Here's a link
to the installation and troubleshooting guides for this product.

Google ChromeScreenSnapz393.jpg

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Same reel with release button...Ours failed in the dealer lot during PDI. Chain jumped off
Required removing and replacement of jwrap to access motor and chain.
Ours only releases about 1 in 10 uses. Usually spool the cord off under power, not free spooling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DickO

Love the reel. However, ours went out the 2nd week after buying our 2017 Bighorn. Heartland would NOT cover full cost of replacement.

southernlady5464

While I love the power reel in our Landmark, the hole it’s in needs to be made slightly larger (both height and width, depth is fine). If you aren’t super careful reeling it back in, making sure it’s super tight each turn, it gets off kilter and has to be released to get retracted.

And it takes two of us to put it away because one is adjusting and retracting while the other has to keep it tight to roll in.

But it once in, it is nice. And releasing is a breeze.

NYSUPstater

After 1 season w/ the power reel, I do like it and no problems (knock on wood). I asked dealer upon p/u/PDI about the "what if it goes down" on how to reel cord back on and don't recall getting a specific answer. Ours seems to have metal on metal rub, but still using it--well it's in storage now for winter. We hit the release button once to unfurl and then pull cord out slowly. Although I can coil the cord back up myself (pushing/holding button) and at same time have a rag around the cord to wipe it down as it's being pulled back, it IS easier if another person operates the switch while I wipe the cord. Just can't grip the cord very tightly. So far so good. I've seen many manual cord reels in basements, but don't like the idea of it taking up room (at least w/ us) for bins we place on that side of it. Guess the manual is still better than manhandling it.

jbeletti

I got a call back from TRC today to chat about a repair for my ShoreLine power cord reel. They stated that I may need to cement/epoxy the pins into the disc, once I put them back in place.

So I may pick up some Loctite Stik'n Seal Extreme Conditions. I'm waiting to hear back from TRC on the type of plastic used in the disc as this particular Loctite product is not compatible with a couple types of plastic.

Loctite® Epoxy Weld™ Bonding Compound is another candidate, but it too is not compatible with a couple types of plastic. And it's a 2-part product, so, messier.

Last edited:

Lou_and_Bette

Same reel with release button...Ours failed in the dealer lot during PDI. Chain jumped off
Required removing and replacement of jwrap to access motor and chain.
Ours only releases about 1 in 10 uses. Usually spool the cord off under power, not free spooling

We we’re traveling with the Clickners earlier this year when John’s quit. Turned out to be the chain, like Lyle’s, but I was able to remove the front panel of the unit without removing the j wrap. This gave me access to the gears and, again like Lyle’s, the chain had jumped the sprocket. With John “bumping” the switch, was able to get the chain back on the sprockets. Jim, you might be able to access your problem this way also.

jbeletti

Thanks Lou. I need to replace my door as the hinge broke. I’ll do that at the same time I attempt the reel repair. An extra half inch of space with the cover out might be helpful.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We we’re traveling with the Clickners earlier this year when John’s quit. Turned out to be the chain, like Lyle’s, but I was able to remove the front panel of the unit without removing the j wrap. This gave me access to the gears and, again like Lyle’s, the chain had jumped the sprocket. With John “bumping” the switch, was able to get the chain back on the sprockets. Jim, you might be able to access your problem this way also.

The dealer removed and replaced the jwrap. I know this because I asked and I see their caulk is different than factory.
Lou, if it fails again, that would be my exact plan. I’ve looked underneath and determined I could access from there. Good to know that’s been achieved instead of just a theory.

Lou_and_Bette

The dealer removed and replaced the jwrap. I know this because I asked and I see their caulk is different than factory.
Lou, if it fails again, that would be my exact plan. I’ve looked underneath and determined I could access from there. Good to know that’s been achieved instead of just a theory.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss, didn’t know I wasn’t supposed to be able to access it this way 🤓