Anderson Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch

RNMAJ

Flipping the chains sounds like something I'll do on mine, since trying to crawl into the bed with the fiver on the hitch is at best difficult. I believe the way chains are attached is not an issue, its using "safety chains" is the legal issue, I believe that currently only Indiana and Texas require chains, but I use every where just as an added safety factor. I am aware that should a fiver break loose the safety chains will only slow it down momentarily, ask me how I know?

Rollin_Free

Flipping the chains sounds like something I'll do on mine, since trying to crawl into the bed with the fiver on the hitch is at best difficult. I believe the way chains are attached is not an issue, its using "safety chains" is the legal issue, I believe that currently only Indiana and Texas require chains, but I use every where just as an added safety factor. I am aware that should a fiver break loose the safety chains will only slow it down momentarily, ask me how I know?

It works really good to have hooks on both ends of the chain. I purchased hooks identical to the ones already on the chains and am able to quickly and easily remove and store the chains with the hitch in the basement of the 5er. Putting them back in the truck is just as quick and easy.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Arrived in Elkhart at 4 AM this morning....waited outside the dealership until they opened.....Did the PDI, paperwork, wrote the check and the Sundance is fully mine. Drove a whopping 3 miles with the Anderson Hitch to the RV Resort....so thinking in the morning about taking my time heading back to AZ....will stay in Iowa for a day or so to visit family, Colo a day or so....Total of 1894 miles from the ranch to Elkhart and 22.4 final MPG for the entire trip....Let's see what happens on the way home!!!!!!!!

Really liking my new 3100 Ck Sundance!!!!

Doublegranch

I really think the "Aussie" girls are smiling even more! They have missed the North Trail....now they have ROOM to move around...
This is pretty cool.....Need to hitch and unhitch a few more times before I am comfortable with the level up system....Thank goodness the RV Resort is all pull thru for my first time!

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
You will never get the girls outside now. Enjoy your trip back. You will have fun towing the Sundance.

Doublegranch

JohnD:
It has been a driving marathon! As soon as I rest up some, I will take plenty and post a few....

Aandaar

Two trips now and over 4K in miles so far. I love this hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck, Victoria, and Miss Callie

RamblinFever

I had the BW turn down installed with the Anderson. I hated the location of the chain loops so I asked Anderson about drilling into the frame of the hitch to use a carabiner or similar. Anderson said no problem. That;s what I'll use for the breakaway cable too.

I went out and measured my Duramax to the top of the tripod ball where I have it set which is 16 1/4" and the bed to the top of the roll up cover rails is 22". The tripod is sitting top of the bed rids and that is where all measurements were taken. This gives me 6" clearance from the 5th overhang to the rollup cover rail.

When I hook up the 5th wheel hitch, for convienence I set a 2x8x5' on each side of the tripod for two reasons. I have to take them anyway for leveling the trailer and it helps center the hitch perfectly in the bed of the truck. This is not a requirement at all however I like knowing that the hitch is square to the bed without looking. It may only be an 1/8 to 3/8 difference between the sides and it is insigficant but to me it matters. Probably the OCD in me but do what works for piece of mind for you.

The other thing I did was purchase a dedicated 1/2" torque wrench to tighten the hitch bolts. I make sure to torque all three bolts to 40' lbs starting with the top one.

I'm not sure you can attach the chains to any part of the hitch and meet the legal requirements. Worth checking into.

- - - Updated - - -

I was concerned about line up also. I just installed a new Anderson June 2016. There is an outer ring on the pin box that helps to funnel the ball into it. A bit easier than prior versions.

I very much appreciate the discussion on the Anderson. Gary appreciate all the research and information you provided. This is certainly an option for me. I may have missed it but is it difficult to hook up i.e lining the coupler up with the ball? That is one of the things I like about my current hitch pretty easy to hook up. Anyway appreciate the info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tomsws6

Tom:
That looks good, great idea....I haven't mounted mine yet but may do it this afternoon.

Installed the hitch. It was a piece of cake. I'm wondering how I'm gonna install the release mechanism when I go and pic the trailer up Friday at the campground.

Attachments

• IMG_20160706_171800059_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160706_171800059_HDR.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20160706_171808274.jpg
    IMG_20160706_171808274.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 54

SNOKING

Installed the hitch. It was a piece of cake. I'm wondering how I'm gonna install the release mechanism when I go and pic the trailer up Friday at the campground.

If you are going to use safety chains, you will have to work on how they attach, as the clips will not fit those puck adapters/chain points! Some have reversed them and shackled them to the puck adapters and clip them to the king pin adapter. Chris

SNOKING

Do you need chains? I didn't order them.

What are the regs in your state? Are you going to travel in states that require them. Andersen should be able to give you a list of those states. They ducked the question for a few years and then finally came out with the option for the chains. In reality it is a ball hitch and not a 5th wheel hitch, and most states require safety chains for ball hitches. Some are waving it for the Andersen according to internet chatter/rumor! FWIW gooseneck hitches require chains in just about all states. Why would the raised Andersen ball be any different, it's basic design is the same.

So it appears that Deleware has no requirement for safety chains.

http://www.expediter.com/natm pdf folder/B folder/B3 6-State Safety Chain Laws-Table.pdf

Chris