Announcing the Fall 2009 Virginia Chapter Rally

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy

firewood an other things

I am planning on bringing some firewood an a firepit plus shovels (Sometimes needed when you drive on the beach)

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I am planning on bringing some firewood an a firepit plus shovels (Sometimes needed when you drive on the beach)

Thanks Don - I personally plan on keeping the truck off the beach. I've seen too many of them buried up to the axles!:eek: DW wouldn't be happy if I did that to her truck, and you know what they say about keeping DW happy:D.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Is anyone who is showing up a day or two early up for a trip to Ocracoke? Cool place if you have never been and the ferry is free.
Other than Gus taping people backing into to their site, nothing is planned for early arrivals.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Terry,

We are going to be there on Thursday and staying until Wednesday, The camp ground honored our coast to coast membership at $10.00 per night. Then we are going to Topsail Island for a couple of days then on to Willow Tree for the SC rally.

Dave
I think that I will be off next week and if so I will probably leave here on Wednesday.I am going to call the campground today to see if I can get an extra night.

Hudson

Is anyone who is showing up a day or two early up for a trip to Ocracoke? Cool place if you have never been and the ferry is free.
Other than Gus taping people backing into to their site, nothing is planned for early arrivals.

So many people are coming early or staying late that there is another agenda for early arrivals and late stayers. I didn't publish it yet because I didn't want it to bog down the food setup. And after all that food setup traffic, Tracy asked me to hold off on publishing any more agendas, etc. until the weekend so people could catch their breath.

For example, Tracy has set up a group dinner at a great local restaurant, Uncle Pauly's, for Thursday night.

And a caravan to Ocracoke is also scheduled for Thursday, I would love to go back ... hopefully those huge, voracious, fearless mosquitoes will be gone by then. Drop me off at Howard's Pub on the way into the village and pick me up on your way back out. For those of you who are *serious* beer drinkers let's put it this way: they have Stone's Arrogant Bastard Ale *on tap* (it's true! last time I got a whole pitcher and drank it myself). Oh, Tracy will want to go to shop in all those "quaint, adorable shops."

I have to do Ocracoke on or before Thursday, because I've got too much to do on Friday. Come back from Ocracoke and go to Uncle Pauly's -- that's a day for me.

BTW, we really have to do the dinner at Uncle Pauly's on Thursday because all those people having just arrived will want to go out rather than cook. (Thursday is the most popular arrival day by far for this rally.)

Jim & Harriet

so Uncle Pauly's will be expecting us on Thursday for dinner? sounds like a plan ...
can't do the caravan to O. we won't be there until mid-late Thursday afternoon. maybe we will go on Friday with a stop at Howards ... :)

for the next event ... there is a very nice looking campground at Lake Norman ... Motorcoach Resort (5th wheels, and travel trailers also included) that looks very nice - has anyone been there?

Jim-n-Leslie

Firewood, Uncle Pauly's, & a Caravan to Ocracoke

Leslie and I are playing catch-up on the forum (taking a morning break from work and teaching), and are excited about all of the discussion. We will check into the availability of our site on Wednesday evening as opposed to arrival on Thursday. I will also have to check my work sked on Wednesday to see how early I can get out.

If we can manage an escape, we will participate in the caravan to Ocracoke and dinner at Uncle Pauly's that evening. Leslie and I went down to Ocracoke with some friends a year or so ago, and it was a great day spent in quaint-ville. :)

Lastly, we have an above-ground fire pit and firewood we will bring. We bought it a few years back when we camped at Camp Hattaras in a Coleman pop-up camper. It has served us well over the years, especially every Halloween night when we and our neighbors would wheel it out to the middle of the court, break out candy for the kids who would circle around us parading their costumes, and then later after the kids go in, sit out for the rest of the evening enjoying some of our favorite beverages... :D

About that brew - I'll have to look into that local beer. I love beer. Leslie does not, but I do. Her interest in beer waned after a few college parties in her earlier days... :rolleyes:

We'll be bringing an elevated, screened firepit and firewood. We can donate some wood for the bonfire. We have a children's metal/wood shovel plus tongs & poker for fireplace, too.

I don't know where we'd get firewood near the rally. (Since fires are so restricted it would not surprise me if firewood is quite hard to find there.)

So if anyone who likes camp fires would bring some firewood for the beach bonfire that would be great. I was hoping to bring some wood myself but I probably won't have room.

Remember also that you can have a fire at your site if you use one of those mesh covered fire pits. I'm not sure how much we'll need for a beach bonfire (probably two fire pits going at once).

That reminds me ... if anyone has a spade/shovel for digging fire pits in the beach sand that would be great too.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
I would love to go to Ocracoke thursday, but i dont know if we will get there early enough to go with you guys. Cant leave coming down till Thursday morning (working wednesday night). But definatly will be able to catch you guys for the beer drinking outing.

Oh, Hudson! Now you've done it! You've got Sam's attention with the Arrogent Bastard Ale ON TAP.:D He wants to know if there's taxi service to & from. Guess that's where the shoppers (eg. wives) come in to play, huh?:eek:

Sam's really, really excited to meet you now.

So many people are coming early or staying late that there is another agenda for early arrivals and late stayers. I didn't publish it yet because I didn't want it to bog down the food setup. And after all that food setup traffic, Tracy asked me to hold off on publishing any more agendas, etc. until the weekend so people could catch their breath.

For example, Tracy has set up a group dinner at a great local restaurant, Uncle Pauly's, for Thursday night.

And a caravan to Ocracoke is also scheduled for Thursday, I would love to go back ... hopefully those huge, voracious, fearless mosquitoes will be gone by then. Drop me off at Howard's Pub on the way into the village and pick me up on your way back out. For those of you who are *serious* beer drinkers let's put it this way: they have Stone's Arrogant Bastard Ale *on tap* (it's true! last time I got a whole pitcher and drank it myself). Oh, Tracy will want to go to shop in all those "quaint, adorable shops."

I have to do Ocracoke on or before Thursday, because I've got too much to do on Friday. Come back from Ocracoke and go to Uncle Pauly's -- that's a day for me.

BTW, we really have to do the dinner at Uncle Pauly's on Thursday because all those people having just arrived will want to go out rather than cook. (Thursday is the most popular arrival day by far for this rally.)

Hudson

[99] bottles of beer on the wall...

Oh, Hudson! Now you've done it! You've got Sam's attention with the Arrogent Bastard Ale ON TAP.:D He wants to know if there's taxi service to & from. Guess that's where the shoppers (eg. wives) come in to play, huh?:eek:

Sam's really, really excited to meet you now.

Perhaps Chrissy you might be interested to know that I have three wet bars in my house: the main bar in the theater, the "nightcap" bar in the master suite, and the wine bar off the kitchen plus two dry bars: the traveling bar which fits in the elevator and goes anywhere inside or outside and the outdoor bar in the pergola.

The main bar boasts the largest fridge in the house. The cold side -- set for 50 degrees -- is just beer (and French vermouth for my Tanqueray #10 martinis). The freezer side is beer steins, all kinds of beer glasses, cocktail glasses, plus some vodka, Jaeger, schnapps, etc. on the bottom shelf. I've got at least nine kinds of tequila and six kinds of bourbon on hand at all times. My next upgrade will be a soda gun and a two-head tap for beer.

But the thing that will really get Sam is that in the main bar I have a set of wall shelves to display unique bottles of beers I have consumed personally. From Stone Brewing Company alone I have:

• Arrogant Bastard Ale
  • Ruination IPA (22oz and 12oz)
  • Imperial Russian Stout
  • Smoked Porter
  • Old Guardian
  • Oaked Arrogant Bastard (12oz)
  • Double Bastard Ale ('05 through '08 releases)
  • Double Bastard Ale (3 Liter double Jeroboam, '08 release)
  • Vertical Epic (06/06/06, 07/07/07, and 08/08/08)
  • Anniversary Ale (#6 through #12)
(All in 22oz bottles unless otherwise mentioned.) The 12th Anniversary isn't even opened yet (cellaring it for later). I've had the Stone IPA but don't consider it special enough to display. I have at least six full cases of Stone beers in the wine/beer cellar (down from a high of thirteen cases since my beer store closed) including an unopened case of the 2006 Double Bastard Ale.

I am planning an RV trip to the brewery in San Diego next year (wanna come along?) Pssst, I always put a full case of Arrogant Bastard (or a mixed case of AB and Ruinations) into the rig at the start of every camping trip.

There are also bottles of Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA, Raison d'Extra, and Worldwide Stout on that shelf along with some Thomas Hardys, etc.

When I go to a beer store where they know me the owner gets out his hand truck and expects to make more than one trip. My brother-in-law is buying one of those beer stores and wants me to be a partner ... mmmm.

<gauntlet thrown down ... all others bow down before the master>

For me to pass the torch on luau drinks for the rally was a serious act of faith and trust on my part.

Jim & Harriet

driving directions

you-all know way-more than I about the entire "beer" drinking side of life... three "wet bars" hummm...

so what do you know about the best route to the rally?

we are heading there from Roanoke,Va - no easy way to drive directly southeast. we are used to the drive to Raleigh (two kids are college grad's from that city) and then planned to get onto 64 - anyone know what that's like?

really did not want to go the northeast route via Richmond and Norfolk?
any thoughts?

thanks for your help.

Hudson

Ocracoke

so Uncle Pauly's will be expecting us on Thursday for dinner? sounds like a plan ...
can't do the caravan to O. we won't be there until mid-late Thursday afternoon. maybe we will go on Friday with a stop at Howards ... :)

for the next event ... there is a very nice looking campground at Lake Norman ... Motorcoach Resort (5th wheels, and travel trailers also included) that looks very nice - has anyone been there?

Here's the deal on Ocracoke. We can't rally do it Friday or Saturday because there's too much rally stuff to do and it is a long drive. We could do it Thursday or Sunday depending upon which day the Ocrocoke-interested people will be there. You have to be arriving Weds to go Thurs and/or you have to be staying through Mon to do a Sunday run. With the drives and the long ferry rides it is a full-day affair -- but well worth it, especially if you've never been. Here is a whole thread with a poll about this.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
you-all know way-more than I about the entire "beer" drinking side of life... three "wet bars" hummm...

so what do you know about the best route to the rally?

we are heading there from Roanoke,Va - no easy way to drive directly southeast. we are used to the drive to Raleigh (two kids are college grad's from that city) and then planned to get onto 64 - anyone know what that's like?

really did not want to go the northeast route via Richmond and Norfolk?
any thoughts?

thanks for your help.
A few years ago we took my mom and dad down to see the lighthouses on the N.C. coast.We came back on 64 and best I remember it was a good road and 4 lane most of the way,if my memory serves me correctly.

Hudson

Yes, Uncle Pauly's is expecting us for dinner as a group of up to 50 people. Tracy talked to Uncle Pauly himself. They are ready for separate checks, etc. They did warn that since we are just doing the "order right off the menu" thing then please do not be upset about the wait. We will be definitely be overloading the kitchen by all ordering at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.