Aux fuel tank material

Garypowell

Starting to think about an aux tank for diesel. My thinking is simple 28 to 51 gallon tank for the bed and gravity feed.

Curious about aluminum vs steel. Steel is usually powder coated and less expensive but heavier. Aluminum better looking to me, lighter but usually a lot more expensive.

Weight is is very important but at what cost.....

1 Is one material better than the other is my main question?
2. What is the weight of diesel per gallon if someone knows?

thanks as always,

B

BouseBill

7.3# per gallon. I put a cheaper tank from Northern Tool in the F-450. A 60 gallon tank: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200370684_200370684, I think to save time you could order direct from the company in Florida. I was in a time sensitive position and needed the tank within a specific time frame for installation. It took NT 10 days just to get the order to RDS. When I called RDS to inqurie as to the status of my order they were more than willing to work with me. I think they jumped my order to the front of the line because it shipped the next day, and arrived with a fuel gauge.
It was much easier to install than I thought. My son and I had it installed in a couple of hours. Gravity feed with a cut off valve to ensure you don't overflow the main tank. you should order the installation kit.
Aluminum, very light weight, one guy (even me) can lift it and move it around for easy installation.
The most I've ever managed to get in the tank is 56 gallons.
It does the same job as tanks costing much more.

MTPockets

This is from Transfer Flow web site:
Transfer Flow replacement tanks are made from 12 and 14-gauge aluminized steel for superior rust resistance and strength, while our in-bed auxiliary tanks are made from 1/8” aluminum diamond plate or 14-gauge aluminized steel. Transfer Flow's DOT legal refueling tanks are manufactured from 12-gauge aluminized steel.

What is aluminized steel?
Aluminized steel is steel that has been electroplated with aluminum at the steel manufacturers. By electroplating the steel with aluminum, it acts as a corrosion resistant material. It’s the same material we have used for over 31 years for our aftermarket and OEM fuel tanks!

jnbhobe

Diesel fuel weighs 7.15 lbs per gal. As far as steel vs aluminum I prefer the aluminum but it needs to be fastened down so it won't slide around. I have a 60 gal tool box combo in my bed with gravity feed and an 12v solinoid as a shut off alond with a manuel shut off.