Diesel Tuning Systems....

J

Jumpshot

I have yet to change my filter yet (12k miles) but Jon (Jon&Patti) at the MI rally last weekend showed me his mod where he cut a long hole in a plastic shroud around the radiator in front of the air filter opening. It was unbelievable to me (6.0 PSD) that the path to the air inlet was so restricted. Jon removed the grill and used a 4" hole saw to cut a hole, then moved it down to cut again and ended up with a nice elongated hole. He then covered the hole with some metal mesh to catch the big stuff from entering the filter.

Jim
Hey Jim, I noticed in your picture that your 5th wheel is leaning forward past level. Is that OK?

jbeletti

Jumpshot,

I think it may just be an illusion based on the angle the shot was taken. Turns out that after this image was taken, I had the rig weighed at the rally in Branson and found a few hundred pounds more weight on the rear axle than the front axle.

Had the gang move my hitch down so that I was trailering more level and hence, more balanced on the two trailer axles.

Jim

dieselengineer

Charter Member
So Jim how is the mod to the air box (Swiss cheese) working out? One of the many mods to my truck was adding a snorkel (drop tube, 5 inch) to the bottom of the stock filter box. Works great, pulls in the cooler dense air from under the bumper. Dropped my EGT, both pre and post turbo by 150*.

swpoole

Smarty Junior Madds Technology

I'm running the Smarty Jr on 2006 5.9 cummins and found upgrading HP caused a lot of smoke. Presently getting upgraded sofware to deal with smoke issue. Anyone using the Smarty and having similar problems?

Dmaxcc6spd

I'm using EFI live to tune my Duramax. :D

I have a tuned ECM from www.KennedyDiesel.com. I think he uses EFI live, but also have the advantage of an in house dyno to test his tunes. I have his economy and towing tune. Both are great. He also has bigger power tunes, but I doubt they would be particularly practical for towing heavy.

John's customer service is great!

lawnboy01

I have a tuned ECM from www.KennedyDiesel.com. I think he uses EFI live, but also have the advantage of an in house dyno to test his tunes. I have his economy and towing tune. Both are great. He also has bigger power tunes, but I doubt they would be particularly practical for towing heavy.

John's customer service is great!

Yes, he is using EFI. What kind of mpg are you getting with the Kennedy tune?

bill40

Hi Roger,
I don't know that much about the Edge system. I ahve the Banks powerpack system on our 05 duramax. I started using there products on my first diesel back in 95 (not the best year for chevy diesels) Have always been pleased with Banks product and their service. Take your time a research the different systems. Good Luck Bill

dieselengineer

Charter Member
swpoole
The smarty jr does make the cummins smoke some until the turbo adds the boost. Free up the intake, and exhaust will help some. The big gain with the smarty is the reduced EGT and added timing.

gwblackjr

Edge Plus

I have a 2008 GMC Crew Cab Dully with the LBZ Duramax. I installed the Bank air intake system and a 5" exhaust system along with the Edge with Attitude. This Edge Attitude system costs a little more but being able to change the settins on the fly is very important towing my 2008 3055 Big Horn. I have a lot of reserve power when I need it and my towing mileage is a solid 1.5 to 2.0 MPG higher. (Normally around 13.0 to 14.4 MPG) It burn cleaner with very little black smoke and when not towing I get 17.4 MPG City and 19.8 + highway. My towing speed is between 58 to 65 MPH depending on the wind.

The improvement are a little pricy but with my next trip to Alaska and fuel prices, I felt it would help pay for itself in the long run. The truck runs smoother and and the extra power feels great. The turbo temp is lower in the towing mode which help with my emgine life.

jpjulian

When I bought my 2008 F-250 6.4L diesel July '07, I asked one of my shooting buddies, who also happens to be a diesel technition for a Ford dealership which "hot-rod" chips to look at. His response was quite simple, "a warranty is a terrible thing to waste." There are labels in the engine compartment and multiple warnings in the owner's manual. The engine's ECM will record whether a tuner or downloader has been plugged into the OBD II port whether or not the tuner manufacturer says it will leave a trace. Ford's stance is the opposite of "does not void manufacturer's warranty", (Diesel World, March 2009 page 51). You tune, you brake it, you bought it. As for the Edge tuner.... another friend of mine had one on his 6.0 Powerstroke. 3 trannys later it was on Ebay. Granted, he had the power level cranked up and he seemed to always have his foot on the go pedal, but tranny rebuilds are pricey.