Dodge, Ford & GM Exhaust Brakes

DW_Gray

I don't personally know anything about the other two, but my Dodge's J-brake is outstanding. When going downhill with 18K pounds behind me, I rarely have to apply the foot brake. If I let it do its work while in the tow/haul mode, it will slow me down well below the speed limit. Sometimes I have to apply a little throttle to maintain a safe speed.

porthole

Retired
Have a look at some other articles, try Google. Maybe we are we using different terminologies to explain the same thing, but I'll give it one more try.

GM uses the turbo vanes as an exhaust brake (just as in the Cummins) and the Ford exhaust brake is noted as a new feature. It is exhaust back pressure braking, and no doubt uses the turbo vanes to achieve the effect. These all work by throttling at the turbine inlet. Ford has used the transmission to effect engine braking on previous SD models (I had one) but the truck now boasts an "exhaust brake" in addition. All three use transmission down shifting to aid in deceleration, in addition to exhaust brakes.

Has Dodge stopped using the Exhaust brake made by Jacobs?

Again, an exhaust brake is in the exhaust. The turbo vane control is a engine braking, turbo braking.

The "exhaust brake" is both new in Ford and GM, GM just had it sooner, and more then likely they both got the idea from Banks. Because until Banks made their electronic brake neither Ford or GM had the feature.

Dodge has been using the Jacobs "exhaust" brake, which is not a "Jake Brake" for years, both from the factory and as a aftermarket- warranty approved item from Jacobs.

And it was only until recently that engine controls were introduced to make it effective with the automatic trans, torque converter lock up etc.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Duane,
With the introduction of the 6.7L engine in 2007.5 Dodge stopped using the aftermarket type exhaust brake by Jacobs. They went to a system which manipulates the turbo. So, while you refer to it as 'engine braking', all three manufacturers call this an 'exhaust brake'. I thought your explanation of the different braking systems, especially the difference between a Jake brake and exhaust brake was really good.

Willym

Bob is right. They are classified as exhaust brakes, because, although they may be sited before the turbine, they operate to control exhaust back pressure,and hence braking. I expect that Ford and GM will improve their units as they get more experience.
trans.png

caissiel

Ford has been using an exhaust gate since the 7.3.
It was used for engine heating but never used as a brake.
My 6.0 with variable vanes will hold my truck at cruising speed going downhill.
In hilly terrain I usually shift in high gear and let it go on cruise.
It usualy goes uphill at the same speed as down hill +- 5 MPH.
When I crossed the NC mountains my wife driving behind me with her car was thinking I was falling asleep at the wheel because she was not seeing any brake lights while I was descending the 15 Miles stretch.
never downed on me that she would be so afraid.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Thanks everybody for your feedback. I test drove a 2011 GMC the other day and it seemed to work pretty good without a trailer. I will probably get another Dodge as I have been very satisfied with the 2 I've had. My BD add on works reasonably but I still have to brake a lot going down steeper hills and I don't want to have to do that so much..../Doug

ricatic

I do not have to "ride the brakes" with my 2011 Ford to maintain or even reduce speed on the 8% grades I traveled. One tap to turn it on and an extra tap for additional speed reductions. It may not be as simple as the Dodge but it works well. JMO

caissiel

The exhaust brake is not all that is required to work well.
The transmission has to be designed to be able to work in harmony with the engine brake system.
Most Allison and Ford transmissions have Hydraulic braking system that work with the engine holding back.
I have no Idea what the Ram has but I am sure its being used also.

Since I have a standard transmission the trany is controled by me and use the engine RPM to slow the trailer down.

I am sure the 3 manufacturers have good braking by now because there's been lots pressure lately with trailer capacity and Power being the big race.

lynnmarti

We have a 2008 Dodge 3500 srw pulling a 3400RL and use the exhaust brake regularly. It really saves a lot of wear and tear on the truck brakes.

KL7j

I had both trucks at one time to comparre, a 2011 F350 single rear wheel and a Dodge 3500 DRW. Both with 6 speed autos. The Ford's exhaust brake is activated by pressing on the brake pedal. No switch. The Cummins has a switch to turn it on and works in Drive or in Tow/Haul.

I towed the same 5th with both trucks, the Ford towed 2000 miles and the Dodge so far 4000 miles so I have had them both towing through some miles.

Both trucks have transmissions that downshift in Tow/Haul with exhaust braking, but the Ford needs to have brake applied. This is well documented in the Ford forums.

The Dodge exhaust brake is superior and very noticable, it works in or out of Tow/Haul mode, and can be turned on before a hill. Applying brakes to get exhaust braking for me was an implementation mistake by Ford as one might like to slow down ahead of a grade without applying brakes. In the Cummins, it is all controllable and definitely felt. I could not tell much exhaust braking even happening with the Ford as the tranny with the brake applied heavily really downshifts and races, it feels mainly like the tranny was down shifting/braking but not much assist from exhaust braking.

I changed back over to a 2011 Dodge/Cummins as I liked the drivability of the Cummins better based on my 2008 Dodge/Cummins before the Ford purchase. Really like the Cummins exhaust brake being switchable. The Ford does a bit more shifting, gets better mileage and a bit more power, but the Cummins has plenty and each shines in different circumstances.

I did not drive a new Duramax, they were not available yet when I was looking, plus the new GM body is due out 2012 on the new GM 2011 frame, so I have no idea how that implements or it's effectiveness.

This Duramax versus Ford on exhaust brake efficiency pretty much shows what I found in the Ford, that the Ford down shifted but the exhaust brake was very poor whereas the Cummins would hold back on the hills. Looks like the Duramax does well too, in the down hill test with load the Duramax held, the Ford did not.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/11/chevy-vs-ford-in-heavy-duty-rumble-in-the-rockies.html

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have an '06 Dodge Ram 3500 auto that did not come with an exhaust brake. I went to Banks and had them install their version called "Banksbrake". This works in harmony with your trans. in tow/haul mode. They are switched on/off with two separate toggle switches.It also has a torque converter lock up that prevents slippage when decelerating.
IMHO an exhaust brake is the single best investment you can make for your diesel tow vehicle.
Along with my Banks tow chip the control I have with this setup is night and day over stock. I probably use my brakes about 50% less than I did with the stock setup.