Dometic fridge fans

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Finally got around to installing the fan. Pretty simple upgrade. And the fridge temp is colder than it's ever been. Still need to experiment with the thermistor position and control panel setting to find the sweet spot.

bighorn3370

John did you wire the fan to the light like the others? Also have you found the right settings? I just placed my order today for the fans. I have only had a problem one time with fridge. For $15.00 I think at least it would help circulate the air. Ernie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yes, I wired it to the fridge light, so you don't need the black ground wire (taped it back to the extra cord). I've got the fridge set on #3 and am still playing a bit with the thermistor position. But the temp is still holding around 36 or 37.

porthole

Retired
Did mine yesterday.

And I did manage to blow the fuse for the light.So if you do manage to do that, the fuse is outside. Remove the vent, find the small black box and remove the screw at center top. Look at the pictograph on the cover to see where to place the screwdriver to pry the cover off.

2 small glass barrel fuses there, one for the light.

hcriddle

Ok, I did mine this afternoon. when I started the fridge was at 41 degrees. When I finished it was at 45 degrees. Now it has been 2 hours and 20 minutes and it is at 48 degrees. I did get some stuff out for dinner and put things away but that is the only time it has been opened. Did I do something wrong or should I just keep waiting? This has pretty much been the pattern when it is 100 degrees outside.

danemayer

Buddy,

If you had the doors open for a while to put the fan in, and then had it open again later, it may not recover until early morning.

Just to be clear, the fans circulate the air actively, rather than passively. If the air in the frig is warm, it's circulating warm air until the cooling unit catches up.

hcriddle

Thanks Dan. That is what I was hoping to hear. I just started to wonder when the temp kept rising.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned about the fans is that you will find that the ice no longer builds on the fins. You'll only need to defrost the freezer!

hcriddle

Not real sure I like these fans. Temp is now at 53 and it has been two days since I put them on. Not sure what to do from here. I believe it was doing much better without the fans.

hcriddle

Yeah Dan I have seen this. I think I am going to have to add the computer fans behind the fridge to try to beat the Texas heat. Interesting though that the temp was doing ok before I put the fans in. It would get up into the 40s during the day but would cool back down at night. Now it is climbing even when the doors have not been opened all day. The only change has been the addition of the fans.

danemayer

I don't know Buddy, if it's not recovering overnight, that doesn't sound like a problem with airflow in the back. You may need to add fans for the 103 degree days, but you should be seeing the temp go down quite a bit by morning.

If it's really a problem with airflow in back, the freezer will be strugglling too and ice cream will be very soft. But if the freezer is ok, I'd double check the door flap and the seals and make sure the drain hose end cap is still there.

hcriddle

Dan, the freezer is not doing well either. I had to eat my Blue Bell really fast because it was so soft.Fortunately Blue Bell ice cream is good any way you get it. I just put a bucket of ice in the fridge and the temp has dropped two degrees in the last hour. I think it is going to be the fans in the back. I am going to call Dometic in the morning and get the fan kit. I forgot that I never did that because I was in Illinois and the fridge did fine up there. My own fault!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Buddie, sounds like the same issue we had our first summer of ownership, in 2010... when we went to Las Vegas (115*) we really really noticed the issue. After dealer installed baffle and extra fans, we've had no problems since.

wdk450

Buddie, sounds like the same issue we had our first summer of ownership, in 2010... when we went to Las Vegas (115*) we really really noticed the issue. After dealer installed baffle and extra fans, we've had no problems since.

Thinking over the whole RV refrigerator in a slide venting issue, I am wondering why:
1. The RV manufacturers don't put insulation between the refrigerator back fins and the RV exterior wall? That would block all airflow possibly bypassing the refrigerator cooling fins.
2. Why the very back of the refrigerator cooling unit doesn't have a sheet metal back to keep the venting airflow within the cooling fins area?
3. When the refrigerator manufacturer adds fans to the venting airflow path why do they add them near the cooling fins rather than at the top vent outlet, blowing out? This would create the desired "draft" through the venting airflow path, and remove any sitting hot air from the top of the refrigerator compartment.

TravelTiger

3. When the refrigerator manufacturer adds fans to the venting airflow path why do they add them near the cooling fins rather than at the top vent outlet, blowing out? This would create the desired "draft" through the venting airflow path, and remove any sitting hot air from the top of the refrigerator compartment.

The added fans by the dealer in our case were added to the top outside vent area, along with a piece of wall board that essentially blocked all but the top opening of the vent cover. We noticed this was the same method of install for the fridge on a NEW 2014 ElkRidge, coming off the assembly line, in Elkhart, this summer.IMG_0752.jpg

RoadJunkie

The added fans by the dealer in our case were added to the top outside vent area, along with a piece of wall board that essentially blocked all but the top opening of the vent cover. We noticed this was the same method of install for the fridge on NEW 2014 ElkRidge, coming off the assembly line, in Elkhart, this summer.View attachment 25702

Are the newly installed fans thermostatically controlled like the origionally installed fan?

TravelTiger

Are the newly installed fans thermostatically controlled like the origionally installed fan?

Ours (dealer installed) are. You can definitely hear them running when they need to. Not obnoxious inside the coach, but you will notice it walking outside by the vents.