Dometic fridge fans

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
On my slide mounted DM2862, the fan is mounted at the top rear of the fridge, near the upper vent panel and faces up. The cooling fins are on top of the fridge, towards the front of it. I'm beginning to think I might be able to get even better efficiency if I remount the fan so it exhausts towards the vent and not the roof of the slide.

But the added interior fan assembly, along with the little battery cube fan I have at the bottom of the fridge seem to be holding the temp at 36-38 on setting #3. It is hard to read that little plastic alcohol thermometer. Might look for a digital one.

Duramax1

I have the same fridge as you but when I wire the fan as you did the fuse blows. Any idea why?
Here are some pics of the installation:
View attachment 25392 View attachment 25391View attachment 25390
There is a "piggyback" connector that comes with the kit. Just clip the red wire to the proper length and crimp the connector to it. The power lead to the light switch is then attached to the "piggyback" and the "piggyback" is connected to the switch. ( Don't substitute my simplified directions for the manufacturer's supplied instructions!)

Duramax1

Four fuses and several hours later I have the fans working. The instructions were for a red/black wire while my fans came with a white/black wire and using the black wire as a ground was blowing fuses.

porthole

Retired
So, after trying it for a couple of weeks I have determined that the kit causes the opposite effect in the Cyclone.

With it running, my fridge temp never gets below 45-46 degrees. I tried sliding the thermostat all the way up with no effect.

Last night around 9 I checked it again, 46 degrees. Turned off the fans.Today at 9am the fridge is at 40.

Although I have no ice on the fins.

danemayer

So, after trying it for a couple of weeks I have determined that the kit causes the opposite effect in the Cyclone.

With it running, my fridge temp never gets below 45-46 degrees. I tried sliding the thermostat all the way up with no effect.

Last night around 9 I checked it again, 46 degrees. Turned off the fans.Today at 9am the fridge is at 40.

Although I have no ice on the fins.

Duane, the fan should just circulate the air better inside. I wonder if there's something wrong with the one you got and the fan motor is generating heat.

porthole

Retired
Duane, the fan should just circulate the air better inside. I wonder if there's something wrong with the one you got and the fan motor is generating heat.

Nope, the fans are cool.
Those fans are so small I would think they would have to be on fire to generate any heat :rolleyes:

Maybe location on the fins is the ticket. Mine are about centered.

porthole

Retired
Tried it multiple times over the last 3 weeks.
Fans on equal temps in the 40's
Fans off = temps in the high 30's

If you hit the fan with your finger while reaching for the switch you will break off a fan blade.
If you hit it again you will break off another fan blade.

The blades are delicate.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I have had my fans in mine for probably a month or more and so far they seem to be doing a good job keeping our frig in the low 30's even on the hottest days. Fingers crossed.

Bobby A

I have had my fans in mine for probably a month or more and so far they seem to be doing a good job keeping our frig in the low 30's even on the hottest days. Fingers crossed.

Hi Mark & Linda

Lisa and I have had the fan (only one) installed for a month or more and it has done what you all have said it would. My temps are at mid 30's using only 1 of those fans and temps setting is on number 4 on the fridf. We are in HOT Florida and weather is very humid and temps are in the low 90's. I am very happy with the fan and the temps its giving me. Maybe I will order another fan and get better results.

Bob & Lisa Altizer

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hi Mark & Linda

Lisa and I have had the fan (only one) installed for a month or more and it has done what you all have said it would. My temps are at mid 30's using only 1 of those fans and temps setting is on number 4 on the fridf. We are in HOT Florida and weather is very humid and temps are in the low 90's. I am very happy with the fan and the temps its giving me. Maybe I will order another fan and get better results.

Bob & Lisa Altizer

Hey Bob and Lisa,
Glad to hear your fans are working too. Hope you two are doing well.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Mine should be delivered tomorrow or Thurs to be installed this weekend. Among other little mods this has been one I've been wanting to do.

whp4262

Mine should be delivered tomorrow or Thurs to be installed this weekend. Among other little mods this has been one I've been wanting to do.

I bought a fridge fan and it works pretty good. Just one caution I want to mention about the blades. Mine has a switch to turn it off and on. I was reaching in to turn it off after we unloaded the fridge, got distracted and stuck the tip of my finger into the fan. Not only did it hurt a bit but it snapped one of the blades off. The blades are pretty brittle so you want to make sure nothing touches them while it's running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

ucwinters

Four fuses and several hours later I have the fans working. The instructions were for a red/black wire while my fans came with a white/black wire and using the black wire as a ground was blowing fuses.

I had the same problem - popped a fuse and the fans wouldn't work after replacing the fuse. Contacted the seller and sent them back for replacement. I read the instructions a little closer on the 2nd set and everything worked OK.

aatauses

Thanks,
How did you attach wires after you connected into the light switch---did you just tape them up?
al
currently in Surprise, AZ

porthole

Retired
i bought a fridge fan and it works pretty good. Just one caution i want to mention about the blades. Mine has a switch to turn it off and on. I was reaching in to turn it off after we unloaded the fridge, got distracted and stuck the tip of my finger into the fan. Not only did it hurt a bit but it snapped one of the blades off. The blades are pretty brittle so you want to make sure nothing touches them

bt dt gtts

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks,
How did you attach wires after you connected into the light switch---did you just tape them up?
al
currently in Surprise, AZ

I wrapped them into a coil and pinched it with a small zip tie. Then zip tied that to the shelf.

dm2776

Well we have now moved into our Sundance full time. Been in it for 2 months now and the frig started building up ice on the fins. So I purchased 2 of these fan units from eBay and they work awesome. Anyone having any issues should try these. It took me about 10 minutes to install 2 of these side by side and I had to chip off some of the ice to get them clipped on the fins. It took them about 3 hours to melt all the ice and they have been clean every since. Plus the fridge is now very cold in all corners.

my problem is water on fans and my eggs froze. think this will help that ?

mobilcastle

If you are having trouble with fridge cooling go to the appliance area and read threads on insulating and baffling the slide to improve air flow behind the fridge to make it cool better.