Give Heartland your feedback on the 2012 Landmark - what do you want?

ejwright

We purchased the 2012 San Antonio a month ago. Really like the layout and it pulls great but we have had several issues with it and some "design" flaws.
- On the very first night our furnace "blew up" and nearly caught the whole thing on fire.
- Speaker in the bedroom had a hole put through it (looked like the installer put his screwdriver through it and just when ahead and put the cover on)
- Bedroom air conditioner had the filters installed backwards and were impossible to removed without tools.
- Light over the bed and been installed backwards and only pointed at the wall.
- Closet sliding door sticks (have had this looked at twice and still can resolve the problem)
- Door handles on closet and bathroom kept coming off - dealer finally GLUED them on.
Most of these issues have been or are being handled but this appears to be a QC problem at the factory.

As for the design flaws -
- The television in the living room does not pull out. In order to get to the back of the TV we had the dealer remove the CD drawer that is above the desk and cut a hole in the wood panel behind the TV. This is ridiculous - the drawer is almost impossible to remove and I really don't relish having to remove it every time I want to attached my camera or computer.
- The "Toy Lock" has been installed direction in front of the basement access door. You would have to remove anything you had locked up in order to get into the basement. There was plenty of room to install the lock elsewhere without blocking anything.

Just today we started hearing a "thump" every 20 to 30 minutes while set up in a RV Park. It sounds like it is coming from the landing gear/levelers or the frame.
Some times it actually shakes the rig. I can't see anything going on or changing. - Any ideas?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hi ejwright and welcome to the forum. It seems that there can be problems with a new coach no matter who the manufacturer is. Yours are minor and should be taken care of by your dealer.
As far as design flaws, sometimes we need to find a way to work around them. Without know what model and floor plan you have it is difficult to get more information on the forum. But, I am sure that your TV can be removed. I removed mine and added a few extra cables and keep them tucked behind the TV so that when i need them they are available. Such as RCA plugs for the WII and HDMI for the PC. Some people have changed over to a swivel mount. Either option would be a better fit than removing a drawer.
Your Toy Lock would only require that a couple of screws be removed and then move it to where you deem appropriate. Your dealer may be able to do this for you.
The thumping that you hear is not uncommon. It has been reported that by putting a piece of plywood or plastic block under the landing gear or levelers will eliminate the noise. Ours does it a bit when on a solid pad. Not enough to bother us though.

Peace
Dave

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Ej wright...as for the "thump"...I assume you have level-up. If so, is one side of the unit more than several inches higher than the other? If it is, try putting blocks under the leveling jacks on the side that need to be raised up. Sometimes extending the pistons too far will cause this "thumping" noise.

Took me a long time to realize what it was, but now, when I know we're somewhat unlevel...I just block the low side, and haven't heard a sound in a VERY long time....

letourno

Quebec Chapter Leader-retired
Make the Grand Canyon a few inches longer in the rear so that the sofa could stay there. Also find a way to provide for a deeper entrance wardrobe. Simplify the light fixture over the kitchen counter (remove the canopy). Finish the outside wall of the bathroom in wood matching the decor. Provide a light color wood finish such as natural maple. Finally arrange for the computer table to be part of a desk that would slide out entirely so that one would not have to be a gymnast to access what is underneath when the shelf is open, and provide the options of a nice folding coffee table and a matching table that fits between the lazyboys (rounded corners, of course).
Inside the basement, plan a few shelves such as the Redwood offers.

4ever

Viewed the 2012 online and am glad I own the 2011. Personally I don't like the new desk set-up or the black bathroom cabinets.

DougS

Doug S
4ever, I agree with you, we like the large desk area in the early 2011 models. I guess we have the same taste, the picture in your signature of your RV and truck look like ours.

jjwink

We love most of the features in our 2011 Rushmore. However upgrading the furniture would be very desirable. The drawer under the Flair sofa and the sofa itself it poorly designed. It has no feet under the front so when you sit down the front goes down and the drawer won't open. If much is put in the flimsy plastic tub it won't open and close and ours has even come unscrewed.

Reconfigure the kitchen island for those of us not wanting the 4 door fridge. We ordered ours with a standard fridge and when it was delivered we found out the fridge won't open when the slides are in --such as when we are on the road. If the island were just an inch or 2 inches narrower it would solve this problem. The pantry could be put to the left of the fridge to remedy this problem.

Would also like the udc separated. That huge outside basement door catches the wind and the rivets are wearing out.

Put true day/night shades in - especially in the bedroom. We solved the problem by making curtains out of room darkening fabric.

Stabilize the printer shelf - ours has come off 3 times now --with nothing on it.

Have the unit come with 2 standard dining chairs and 2 folding chairs. Most of us only need 2 chairs.

Change the toilet to one that is taller and has a seat that is "adult" size. On the Dometic in ours the seat is inside the rim of the actual toilet.

letourno

Quebec Chapter Leader-retired
Question for the Landmark Manager: where do you stand with all the suggestions and comments generated by your request. Will there be something new soon?

Meanwhile I just saw the new Redwood BR, the one with a bonus room at the rear. Now that is a good idea for full-timing: this can be a useful laundry/worksuop/storage room. It would also justify adopting the 6 legs hydraulic system to better support the rear end when using the washer-dryer. I also agree with the suggestion of 2 regular and 2 folding chairs (which could be stowed under the sofa if it were not a sofa-bed). Add the option of heat pump. Design an easy access trap between the basement storage and the plumbing/electrical underfloor area and run plumbing and wiring in a more orderly fashion. Simplify the color scheme inside and out. I did not like the proposed very busy graphics, it does not convey the feeling of a residential unit.

Far from saying that the Landmark is not already a good product, however it is time to reaffirm its identity as a true residential unit and a full-timer's dream machine. I would be willing to trade my BH for a Landmark with just a portion of the ideas expressed so far.

olgoat

I own a 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon and what I would like for heartland to change is the supplier for the landing gear. I've owned my RV for just under a year and two of the landing gear have started leaking. My coach is presently in the shop to have the second landing gear replaced. The manufacturer (Lippert) is none to quick to send out new ones, Friday will be three weeks and the repair shop still doesn't have the replacements and we were going to go on a trip this weekend.

Zamora

We purchased a 2012 Key Largo in July and also like the layout and features. However we have had numerous problems with it and are unhappy with the QC.

Our furnace blew up also and almost suffocated us with the burning fumes. It turned out that the blower squirl cage, made of plastic, disitigrated and the parts flew into the hot heat exchanges. Our furnace was sent to the factory and they replaced it without telling us what had happened. Our dealer told us.

Upon leaving the dealer I noticed I could see both axle hubs on the passenger side in the rearview mirror. I had upgraded to the 8K axles when we ordered. Long story short the unit had three matching springs and one a different length. The spring hangers were bent, the alingment was out almost an inch and the EZ flex were both shot. It took four months with Heartland for them to agree to have this repaired.

Thought you might like to hear the results of the furnace.

Our unit also makes the thumping sound when parked. I think most comes from the sun or heat of the day on the black frame as it doesn't do this when it is cool.

Last edited:

bdennis

We have a 2012 San Antonio we Purchased July 13th 2011. We Like the it except that it has been at the Dealer more than
at our home in the RV Shed. We have had numerous QC Problems and, have only been on two Trips, One to Florida (2weeks) and one to New Mexico (10 Days). It is still at the Dealer, Explore USA in Boerne Texas. When we purchased it this was our Dream 5th Wheel and expected many years of Joyful Travel with it. At his point I beleive we got a Lemon and am starting to regret the Purchase. It is sad because it is a beautiful 5th wheel with alot of nice features that sold us on it. We had to cancel a Christmas Vacation due to the unit still at the Dealer.

We took delivery of our 2012 Key Largo the end of last August. We had been fairly well pleased with the unit until we discovered some of the design changes that were made within two months after we took delivery. Nothing was mentioned about forthcoming changes when we placed our order in July. Now I wish we would have waited a couple of months. Some of the new features we regret we missed out on are:
- Mega-Mini shower with additional storage over the mega shower.
- Outside entertainment center
- Six point hydralic leveling system in lieu of the 4-point leveling system with rear electric stabilizers.
Anyway the main point of this reply is to say since the Landmark is Heartland's luxury 5th wheel we would like to see the body stripping graphics continued across the ends of the slide outs. The minimal cost would dress up the coach to be worthy of being Heatland's luxury 5th wheel.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
DeanandSue, welcome to the forum.
Yeah, I agree that continuing the graphics around the end of the slides would really add a lot. Good idea. Might be cost prohibitive though.
Be sure to check out the IL Chapter rally in Lena this coming September. Always a fun time.

Peace
Dave

TXBobcat

Fulltime
This may be a little far out from many thoughts about making a 5th wheel, but I saw someone's post on a forum sometime ago where someone posted photos about building a fender over his tires beneath the trailer to protect it from blown tires. I know this adds cost to the trailer but it would save a lot of problems trying to repair all the damage that can be caused by the steel belts on tires. I would hate to see the body torn up, light wiring damaged and brake lines damaged. Could turn something into a dangerous situation.

It would be nice to make it an option.

Camper51

We looked at another 5th wheel that had a slot for the stove covers at the back of the stove, in front of the backsplash. Just lower them into the slot when the stove is being used. What a great idea.

cpl0199

i have 2012 big country that has been in the sop since middle of october 2011. i loved our unit when i purchased it but now i am sorry i bought it. i would love to sell it, but the value has gone down.

porthole

Retired
Having done over 20 years in the automotive service business I just don't understand why so many people, trailer brand not important, end up having their units in the shop for months at a time.

Must be shop mentality of "people don't need" their trailers". That type of service would never fly for cars and trucks.

Although, like the post above, many times you hear "in the shop" for 2-3-4 months or more, but never hear a reason why, good or bad.