How many miles on your tow vehicle

CaptnJohn

2016 F250 6.7 now almost 3 weeks old. Sitting at 3390. I'll add about 40,000 a year and 30,000 will be towing. On a good year it could see 55,000. Next will be bought in 2018.

CaptnJohn

I trade every 2 - 3 years before they hit 100K miles. Current 2016 F250 almost 3 months old and only 7200 miles so far.
I have a 2005 GMC duramax diesel with 170,000 miles. I have maintained meticulously since it was new. It runs great and looks like I bought it last week. I really enjoy my truck but my wife tells me that maybe it is time to get another truck due to its age and miles. How long do other members keep their diesel tow vehicles?

JanAndBill

2006 F350 with 128,000 will be retiring as soon as the new one gets here (about 3-4 weeks now). Still a good truck, just had that new truck itch that finally had to be scratched. Figure this will be the last one for us, so what the heck. Can't take it with you.

SD08ER

2005 GMC 2500HD with 93,000. Have a new 2016 GMC 3500 2wd dually on order. Will be here around the end of March.

wdk450

2004 Dodge Ram 3500, 5.9 (6 cyl) Cummins Turbo Diesel. Just about at 160K miles. I had valves adjusted at 100K, otherwise nothing but oil/fuel filter changes done annually. I switched to a larger area, reuseable, air filter. I use Diesel Power Plus fuel additive continuously, and added an EGT gauge that I keep below 1200 degrees. I also run the engine for a couple of minutes when shutting down, getting the EGT to below 400 degrees (to prevent turbo oil coking).

On edit: I met another RAM 3500 dually diesel owner at a gas station near Stockton, Ca. a couple of year ago, who had a gooseneck car hauler trailer and said that he contracted with car rental companies to move cars around between rental locations. This guy said that he had 1 MILLION Miles on his truck with NO DRIVETRAIN REPAIRS!!!

Last edited:

BBslider001

2004 Dodge Ram 3500, 5.9 (6 cyl) Cummins Turbo Diesel. Just about at 160K miles. I had valves adjusted at 100K, otherwise nothing but oil/fuel filter changes done annually. I switched to a larger area, reuseable, air filter. I use Diesel Power Plus fuel additive continuously, and added an EGT gauge that I keep below 1200 degrees. I also run the engine for a couple of minutes when shutting down, getting the EGT to below 400 degrees (to prevent turbo oil coking).

Now this is how any diesel should be maintained and driven. I would hold onto to this truck since it has no emissions stuff on it. Letting it idle is paramount to longevity. After staying in RV parks off and on for the last 10 years, the one thing I HATE to see is a new neighbor pull in and shut off his truck and restart it over and over again while he gets the trailer lined up in the spot. Man it's like nails on a chalkboard to me. My other favorite is the guy who starts it up first thing in the morning and put it in gear before the oil has even left the pan to circulate through the vital parts of the engine. Sometimes they put it in gear so quick that the engine hasn't even settled at idle and they are off and going! Then they wonder why it's having turbo problems.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Now this is how any diesel should be maintained and driven. I would hold onto to this truck since it has no emissions stuff on it. Letting it idle is paramount to longevity. After staying in RV parks off and on for the last 10 years, the one thing I HATE to see is a new neighbor pull in and shut off his truck and restart it over and over again while he gets the trailer lined up in the spot. Man it's like nails on a chalkboard to me. My other favorite is the guy who starts it up first thing in the morning and put it in gear before the oil has even left the pan to circulate through the vital parts of the engine. Sometimes they put it in gear so quick that the engine hasn't even settled at idle and they are off and going! Then they wonder why it's having turbo problems.

Yup!

My grandfather taught me to always start the engine and sit for at least one minute before you take off.

And I always do that . . .

And I usually get over 100,000 miles with hardly any issues . . .

Lynn1130

Start up, let the oil gauge come up to pressure before pulling it into gear. Stop, let the turbo (EGTs) come down into the 400s before shutting it off. Most oils now days do not drain off of the moving parts for some time so you are lubed but it is best to let the oil pump do it's thing. I'm at 99,000 and expect that I will make another 150K.

JanAndBill

Ltitle bit different class, but all time class 8 truck in our fleet. 99 WS with 3406E Cat. Retired it at 1,200,000 miles. Oil changed at 16,000 mile interval, oil sampled every other time, Routine services but the engine was never opened. Truck ran pretty much 24/7 and still ran great when we traded it. The other Cats usually started having problems as they approached the one million mark.

RVFun4Us

My 2012 Silverado is programmed to idle a little faster at startup. When it returns to normal RPM, I then put it in gear. So far after 4 years, no problems. It only has 40K miles but if you take care of them, the diesels will last a long, long time. So much better than gasoline engines.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
15 months old . . . 34,100 miles on it!

Just put 2000 miles of those during our trip to the AZ HOC Tucson Rodeo Rally!

macjj

2006 GMC 2500 HD 6.6 Turbo Diesel,Allison 6 speed 100K miles. Recent stay in St Lewis, Allison Repair stated recent customer had similar truck with 700k and still running strong. Thought about moving up due to weight ratios, however new models don't impress me much. Like other have stated, too many mods over the past 10 years to repeat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BBslider001

I am always a lot more impressed with the guy that pulls into the park with a tow rig that's over 100k and looks/runs showroom new than the brand new $70k tow rig that just got traded in for the previous truck less than 2 years old. There is just no reason for it, but alright. My neighbor trades in every 2 years no matter what. He has 3 6.7 Powerstrokes since 2010. I asked why waste the money on such an expensive truck that's meant to go the distance. He said "because I can". Um, ok, to each his own...(roll eyes)...