How Necessary is a Weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davebennington

I carry a weapon or two with me all the time. I also carry a fire extinguisher and I hope I never have to use either one.

dave

ParkIt

Sorry Dave but your response kinda cracked me up, particularly the fire extinguisher ;)

The serious side to firearms is proper training and understanding what self protection is regarding both law and common sense.
When you have a weapon of any kind, you are only going to want to use it for stopping power against maiming, injury or death to you or another human. You aren't out to kill anyone, you just want to stop them if there is no way of escape.

Another issues is how likely an attacker will be able to get a firearm out of your hands and into theirs? If you haven't had full training classes, odds are the attacker will end up with your firearm in their hands, just not a situation you want to be in. They aren't as afraid as you are and have had time to build a good level of adrenaline whereas you haven't. The stories of how many times a person can be shot and still approach a victim are true, its the amount of adrenaline and possible drugs that make it difficult for law enforcement to stop someone from threatening approach.

The last factor is two fold: trailers and vehicles have little to no slowing effect on a bullet so one would have to be prepared any bullet is going to go through and possibly injure an innocent person nearby. The other is how well you like your hearing - an enclosed space such as a vehicle or trailer/MH is going to amplify the sound when a round is fired, many people have ruptured eardrums from that alone. One shot and you can't hear anything - another person screaming, sirens, or your attacker (if its dark you would want to be able to hear if an attacker has fled or is closer to you).

My own preference has been taking a course in the 80's offered by Massad Ayoob with a refresher course every 5 years by his early students and other Law Enforcement Officers. He has published quite a few books on the subject of gun ownership, various scenarios and general laws relating to firearms for the general population everyday person. Some of the legal material is outdated though it still has the basic foundation of deciding on a weapon for self defense, as he points out, one does not need a firearm but a good sense of their surroundings, quick exit and judgement of any perceived threatening situation. All those factors should be taken into account when deciding on a way of self preservation.

Tombstonejim

If you don't have one. Have no real idea or interest in using it. DON'T. I do but I shoot regularly and feel very comfortable with all of my weapons. I started RVing in 91. I only have had one instance where I might could have used it but just managed to talk my way out and ignore the bad guy. In of all places the a gas station in Eloy AZ.

ParkIt

If you don't have one. Have no real idea or interest in using it. DON'T. I do but I shoot regularly and feel very comfortable with all of my weapons. I started RVing in 91. I only have had one instance where I might could have used it but just managed to talk my way out and ignore the bad guy. In of all places the a gas station in Eloy AZ.
First off, well said regarding to own or not to own. Been RVing since 1992 and have never had the need for a firearm, travel by myself most of the time.

Interesting...have a friend that lives in Marana. Her and her husband have told me if I visit to stay on Hwy 10 and don't stop in Eloy unless its a true emergency. Had me baffled until now, thanks for the heads up.
Will agree that if you aren't used to firearms there are other methods of self defense, my son just about creeped me out showing me that *anything* can be used as a weapon if necessary. He is a 5th degree black belt in martial arts (Goju Ryu)...they learn a lot about self defense without having a firearm up to how to stay safe when a potential attacker is at a distance with a firearm. Pretty interesting but logical.

MTPockets

Regarding the bullets going thru RV walls. I use "Safety Shells" bullets designed that will not go thru an RV wall. They are pricey, but do what they are designed to do - stop the aggressor, then stop in the wall.

I agree with most posts in this forum. It is a personal choice on how one decided to defend himself and his family. I personally never go anyhere without one of my handguns. I maintain proficient and carry loads that are designed to be a one shot stop. I use the Winchester PDX-1 .410 loads in my Taurus Judge when inside the camper. My feelings are the gun is no different than life insurance. I do not look forward to using either but it is a comfort to know it is there and available.

kowAlski631

Returning to the original question. If you have had weapons in your life & are proficient in their use, ok. If not, don't pack for the sake of packing. Weapons are serious business.

The best "weapons" to have are your common sense & awareness of your surroundings whether or not you carry traditional weapons with you.

Martha

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
In eight years of fulltiming have never had a situation where we felt threatened, certainly not to the point of needing a weapon. Whenever we felt uncomfortable we used our wheels and left.

szewczyk_john

Not trying to keep this debate going but I want to get back to the original question posted. 24 years ago the US Marine Corps trained me in the use of firearms. I had never touched a firearm before that. Shooting came natural to me and I was hooked. I have owned a few ever since. I enjoy target shooting and I have attended a couple of training seminars since then, I am licensed for concealed carrying of my firearms and usually carry a Taurus 357 snub nose. I have never had the need to point a weapon at another human being no matter what I was doing, military, working or RVing. I do feel safer being armed and I have that right to be armed. If you do not feel the need to carry when you are not RVing then chances are you will never feel the need when RVing. Those members that tell you that they carry when RVing most likely carry at other times as well.

porthole

Retired
if a firearm is not your choice - Costo currently has a two pack of blindingly bright LED flashlghts. Won't stop a bad person but it will slow someone down, then you can use the end of the light for self defense.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you don't threaten me or mine with physical violence, or invade my home, you have nothing to fear from the weapon(s) I may have at my disposal. But begging for mercy or throwing harsh words is not my idea of a defense against someone intent on doing me harm. If that offends you, I believe Bloomberg and his crowd are doing a bus tour. Maybe they're taking passengers.

Crumgater

Johnmichael, do I see two reasons why strangers will not be bothering you in your avatar photo??

We have a 125lb english mastiff (not yet full grown)... she's more protection that I've ever felt I needed at the places we camp.

We stick to state parks and private RV parks, though. We don't boon-dock out in the middle of nowhere... if we did that... I might change my mind.

I like the idea of wasp spray... that could come in handy for it's intended purpose as well, and I'd be less likely to avoid using it against an unknown assailant.
-T

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
I do feel safer being armed and I have that right to be armed.

I think John hit it in this one sentence. Some people feel safer being armed, some people get the bejeezus scared out of them knowing there's a loaded gun in the house. That personal choice everyone mentions is really does it make you feel safer? You're probably going to read a lot more "RV'er accidentally shoots self" stories than "RV'er shoots intruder" headlines.

danemayer

Our good friends had a scary middle-of-the-night situation at a Ruidoso, NM campground several weeks ago. They couldn't go outside to ascertain how dangerous the situation was without becoming more vulnerable than they already were.

They called the police who showed up, but not very quickly. A lot of bad things could have happened before police arrived.

Even though they didn't have to use it, they were very glad to have had a gun on hand.

Eddhuy

For the most part, weapons are not necessary. I have plenty of weapons available to me in my traveling home but no firearms; however, I am making the assumption that the OP was referring to fire arms. Other than when hunting or in the military, I have never needed a firearm so I apply that to my camping experience as well. I may carry a firearm with me in the future when I feel less able to protect myself or if the current societal/economic situation worsens considerably. For now I feel comfortable without carrying a firearm. They do not scare me and I support the freedoms our country offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.