How Necessary is a Weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birchwood

Our good friends had a scary middle-of-the-night situation at a Ruidoso, NM campground several weeks ago. They couldn't go outside to ascertain how dangerous the situation was without becoming more vulnerable than they already were.

They called the police who showed up, but not very quickly. A lot of bad things could have happened before police arrived.

Even though they didn't have to use it, they were very glad to have had a gun on hand.
I can't even imagine being in a situation wishing I had a gun on hand.

pegmikef

I personally think that the use of and choice of weapons is directly dependent on an individual's background and training.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Although I was trained in unarmed self- defense in my 20's, that was over 40 years, back surgery, bad knee, and stiff joints ago. I am not going to be rolling around on the ground with some hopped up punk half or less my age. Yes, I carry and I will use it, if that's what it takes to eliminate the threat to my continued well-being. But this topic discussion will never have a "final" answer. The devide on the subject is wider than the Grand Canyon.

scottyb

To the OP, the answer is "as necessary as you want it to be for your well-being and peace of mind".

Phatkd

My thought is do I really want to shoot someone.I would surrender anything I have rather than gun someone down.The only people that carry guns in Canada are soldiers,law enforcement,hunters and criminals.

This statement may be true in NB,..however out west nothing could be further from the truth :) Just sayin'

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My thought is do I really want to shoot someone.I would surrender anything I have rather than gun someone down.The only people that carry guns in Canada are soldiers,law enforcement,hunters and criminals.

Whoa...if the criminals have guns dont the citizens need them too? After all law enforcement can't be everywhere at once.

ParkIt

A topic such as this between someone from Texas and someone from Canada will not have a meeting of the minds. Trust me, we live so close to the border and whenever the discussion is brought up, its the only time I refuse to talk about it.

Basic: It is a personal choice in the USA.

Peteandsharon

Although I was trained in unarmed self- defense in my 20's, that was over 40 years, back surgery, bad knee, and stiff joints ago. I am not going to be rolling around on the ground with some hopped up punk half or less my age. Yes, I carry and I will use it, if that's what it takes to eliminate the threat to my continued well-being. But this topic discussion will never have a "final" answer. The devide on the subject is wider than the Grand Canyon.

I couldn't have said it any better. There was a time when I was 10 feet tall and bulletproof. I would have just said "bring it" to someone who wanted a piece. But those days have gone bye bye and now I'm perfectly comfortable with admitting that I probably don't want what he may bring. Having watched the recent nanny cam video of the intruder beating the mother senseless in front of her daughter in New Jersey, it makes me sleep much better knowing that my .38 police special loaded with hollow points is nearby. The other point to consider is that while sleeping in your fiver, your main point of egress from the rig may be blocked by an intruder. Having a weapon there for use when there are no alternatives just makes sense.

Owenfamily

If you don't like the thought of a gun being around use a stun gun. Just make sure you get a good one. There so many differnt way to go about this.

David

Phatkd

A topic such as this between someone from Texas and someone from Canada will not have a meeting of the minds. Trust me, we live so close to the border and whenever the discussion is brought up, its the only time I refuse to talk about it.

Basic: It is a personal choice in the USA.

Please don't lump all Canadians together. There are a vast number of us who are stonch conservitives with excellent knowlage and skill sets that pertain to the proper use, functionality and proficiant use of pretty much any firearm you put in our hands.

Not all Canadians like to hold hands and sing kumbaya :)

Cheers!

TXTiger

I have a fire extinguisher but hope I never have to use it.
I have a spare tire but hope I never have to use it
i carry a tool box but hope I don't have to use it often.
I have a weapon but hope I never have to use it.

A weapon is just a tool.

If you do have to use your fire extinguisher you should know how to operate it and how to aim it to put out the fire.
If you do have a spare tire you should know how to change a tire, the pattern to tighten the bolts and the proper torque.
If you have a volt/ohm meter in your tool box is is only useful if you know how to operate it.
If you have a weapon you MUST know how to operate it and aim it and you must be mentally prepared to do so if needed.

Tool958

The only question I have on this topic is: "Why would you camp somewhere you don't feel safe?"

Frank

We always thought a Walmart parking lot was fairly safe for a overnight stop-over until last summer in Loveland, Co. We had some nutball get offended because we started our generator to get electric for the C-Pap machines we both use. The next thing we know, this guy in an old motorhome, is parked 2' from our Cyclone blowing exhaust under our coach. Originally he was about 75 yards away from us, so we didn't think anything about using the generator. They are actually pretty quiet compared to a lot of them we've heard running. Needless to say things escalated from there. The point is, I was glad there was a loaded 9mm that was there if needed. It was a crazy scene that a normal person would never think of happening to them. I was so mad after it was over, that we just left, rather than something else starting up. We haven't stayed in a Walmart lot since.

beardedone

Beardedone
This statement may be true in NB,..however out west nothing could be further from the truth :) Just sayin'

I totally disagree with your statement. I was a police officer in Alberta for a very long time and as well I have lived in other parts of Canada and traveled a lot. Gun laws in Canada are federal and the same from coast to coast. Alberta is not the wild west as you infer. Gun crime is a problem by local standards anywhere but don't give our neighbours the wrong impression. Gun crime is much lower in Canada, period! If you can properly support your argument I will review it but I don't think you can!

ParkIt

Please don't lump all Canadians together. There are a vast number of us who are stonch conservitives with excellent knowlage and skill sets that pertain to the proper use, functionality and proficiant use of pretty much any firearm you put in our hands.

Not all Canadians like to hold hands and sing kumbaya :)

Cheers!
Sorry, got a slight chuckle when beardedone (Gerry) posted since that is typically what I hear from my friends from or living in the west coast of Canada. When two Canadians go at it, best thing to do is back away quietly... ;)

The only question I have on this topic is: "Why would you camp somewhere you don't feel safe?"

Frank
Sometimes its not where you camp - it can be at a fuel stop, rest stop or anywhere you are traveling. The number of truck drivers that are shot, go missing or threatened at the end of a gun pointing at them has gone up significantly in the last few years.
Most of us tend to use the same roads and places to stop so it says something when no place is really 'safe' from anyone who wants something you have.

Phatkd

I totally disagree with your statement. I was a police officer in Alberta for a very long time and as well I have lived in other parts of Canada and traveled a lot. Gun laws in Canada are federal and the same from coast to coast. Alberta is not the wild west as you infer. Gun crime is a problem by local standards anywhere but don't give our neighbours the wrong impression. Gun crime is much lower in Canada, period! If you can properly support your argument I will review it but I don't think you can!

Not trying to give a wrong impression at all. I am a currently serving police officer and have been for a very long time. Alberta isn't the wild west, and I am well aware of the federal statues with regards to gun laws. I am just saying that not all 34 million of us think that guns have no place in society. Not trying to start an argument here,..but trust me when I say I know what I am talking about.

Cheers

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Come on, guys. This is starting to sound like a Canadian WWF "Rumble in the Tundra" cage event. Two men enter and only the grizzly bear leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.