How Necessary is a Weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redtrk

Being a lawful carry permit holder I carry everywhere it is legal to carry. Tourists (including campers) carry more cash than the usual person sometimes. Therefore I always have it when pulling the camper.

porthole

Retired
Being a lawful carry permit holder I carry everywhere it is legal to carry. Tourists (including campers) carry more cash than the usual person sometimes. Therefore I always have it when pulling the camper.

As heavy as the Cyclone is - it certainly isn't because of extra cash I carry :p

loulou57

Now all this about weapons has me very discouraged about travel. We have been camping for well over 30 years. We have stayed in private camps, provincial parks and on crown land. We have never heard of anyone needing or carrying a weapon other than if they were hunting. We were planning a trip through the US, now I have just convinced hubby against it. Did I make the right decision or am I now just paranoid?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Now all this about weapons has me very discouraged about travel. We have been camping for well over 30 years. We have stayed in private camps, provincial parks and on crown land. We have never heard of anyone needing or carrying a weapon other than if they were hunting. We were planning a trip through the US, now I have just convinced hubby against it. Did I make the right decision or am I now just paranoid?
Well, It is your decision but I would not feel unsafe anywhere I've gone RV Traveling in the good ol' USA. Sure there are many RVers carrying weapons for protection but I truly have never heard of an RVer using one to protect their life, family or property. I would think the unsafest area might be a truck stop or rest area or even a dimly lit Walmart parking lot.
loulou57, I would seriously reconsider. Take the trip!

danemayer

Hi loulou57,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

If you've been reading the discussion about travel with firearms, you should take note of how rare it is to actually use one of them outside of a practice range. You might also note that many of the people contributing to the thread have past experience in law enforcement or in the military where use of firearms was part of the job.

I wouldn't let this discussion deter you from visiting the U.S.

scottyb

The difference is, in the US, the criminals are not the only ones that can arm themselves, unlike other countries where guns are forbidden. The law abiding citizens have the constitutional right to protect themselves. You have nothing to fear from them, unless you are a criminal with bad intentions.

dhcolesj

I grew up on a farm in what I thought was in the middle of nowhere, but wasn't really. Our drive way was about 1/2 mile long. I always carried some type of rifle/shotgun while walking alone around the farm, not because of people, but animals. Snakes, Rabid dogs, etc. Sometimes when your back country you have to stay armed not because you're going to get robbed but because you might get bit. :D

whp4262

LouLou57, Is it necessary to carry a weapon to safely travel through the United States? The answer is no it's not necessary and if you are not comfortable carrying one then you shouldn't but for those of us that do carry including myself it's a matter of choice and a constitutional right. Most of us are firm believers in taking responsibility for our own protection and the protection of are families. Most of us also believe that people should be free to enjoy activities without threat of harm to themselves or their family and we are commited to not becoming victims of those few people who do not respect those freedoms. If we were camping side by side you would probably never know that I was carrying a weapon unless an unfortunate situation were to develop and in that case I would be inclined to protect your family as quickly as my own. Not every situation ends in gun fire either, a few years ago I ran into an individual on a dark street that thought it would be a good idea to rob me. I didn't have to shoot this individual to stop him I just needed to convince him that I would if he didn't change his mind and it worked.

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
LouLou57, a while back I was visiting in Ontario and had a bunch of drunks enter our cabin and cause a ruckus. I don't know what their intentions were, but they sure scared the women. And ruined my dinner.
My point is that things can happen anywhere. Ontario or in the States.
Do not hesitate to visit our beautiful country. There is a lot to see.

Peace
Dave

d_fergie

I grew up on a farm in what I thought was in the middle of nowhere, but wasn't really. Our drive way was about 1/2 mile long. I always carried some type of rifle/shotgun while walking alone around the farm, not because of people, but animals. Snakes, Rabid dogs, etc. Sometimes when your back country you have to stay armed not because you're going to get robbed but because you might get bit. :D
Pretty much the same here, with the drought Mountain Lions have been seen in town before much less the hills. I carry a round of .44 rat shot for snakes when carrying it and a couple rounds in my .22 pistol when packing it.

Ladiver

Well, I just shot one of these today. I definitely think it will take care of EVERYTHING! :cool:

500.jpg

Smith & Wesson 500

priorguy

Loulou57 I wouldn't reconsider your trip either. I've lived all over Ontario. Including at Jane & Finch (Toronto's worst neighbourhood) during my college years. I've travelled the US including Washington DC and The Bronx, never came across a situation where I needed to be armed. There are plenty of bad areas without even going to the big city. My sleepy town 30 minutes west of our great nations capital of Ottawa has been in the news twice in two years for high profile murders.

Like Morgan Freeman says in the movie Shawshand Redemotion, "you better get busy livin' or get busy diein'."

Grey Ghost

loulou57, I would not cancel the trip, life is to short to not enjoy what you are doing. I carry only because I wish too, you don't need a gun. In most case if you have one and don't know how to use it, it might be used against you, so don't carry one! We love traveling and love the USA, travel and see it while you cane. You DON'T need a gun to enjoy traveling.

jcarnevale

I did not get a chance to read all of the posts in this thread so forgive me if I'm repeating something that was already said. First, never be afraid to visit the United States, or anywhere for that matter. Just understand where your travels will take you and the dangers that exist in that area. In this thread I read a lot about life long campers never having the need to use lethal force to protect themselves or their loved ones. My only concern with this statement is that just because you've never seen evil, doesn't mean it's not there. This is not to frighten anyone and please don't get me wrong I don't recommend anyone carrying a firearm that is not willing and able to use lethal force.

But...

Please don't be naïve. If you're going to make statements like this be aware that there are approximately 1.4 million active street, prison, OMG (outlaw motorcycle gang) gang members comprising more than 33,000 gangs in the United States according to a report by the Federal Bureau of Investigation*. With the Great lakes regions boasting the highest number of gang members (my backyard). If you're happily rolling down any highway in a major metropolitan area and get a flat or any other mechanical problem that forces you off the highway into a territory owned by a gang, indicated by cryptic graffiti, think twice about stopping.

*http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/2011-national-gang-threat-assessment

WB9IIE

If you are authorized by your state to carry (concealed or open) then by all means, have a firearm available. When SECONDS count call 9-1-1... They are just MINUTES away. If you are going to be traveling with a firearm, be sure that you are legal. I would recommend going to http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html. The system of mapping is rather easy to figure out. Know your laws, rights and responsibilities.

If you are, like you say "jittery," then don't take a gun along. To carry or not is a personal choice, and there are a LOT of responsibilities that go along with it. If it doesn't feel comfortable, then DON'T.

Jim.Allison

This has to be an interesting thread, it will take me a couple of days to read it. The guy that asked the original question was heading out on a trip in May 2013 and wonders what the forum thought about carrying a gun. I just want to put my two cents worth in. Yes, you should have a defense weapon. The 12 ga shotgun, requires no permit anywhere. It can be concealed or not concealed, locked or unlocked or loaded or unloaded, in any combination of the three depending on which state you are in. You can also get a permit to carry it through Canada into Alaska. The 12 Ga is the most effective weapon against man and animals on the market today. Enough said. BTW you are not likely to need the thing while driving anyway, keep it in the fiver with a box of shells nearby. It's ok to be armed, but its not necessary to be scared. To me, handguns are trouble waiting to happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.