Leaf springs

Paul & Nan

Our experience is that the Trail Air tilts depending on the direction you last moved (ie forward or back, and the terrain). As for replacing with Lippert springs, do not waste the time and effort, they will send the same ole junk I am sure. We replaced with better and at least for today all is well. In fact, everything inside stayed where it should have, what a change that is. It is sad to see that folks that went with Lippert repalcement are in the same spot, again. Overloading would only be a problem if you had the right springs for your axels and then went over. JMHO Nan

Tankie

It sure is funny that Lipperts excuse is that everyone has overloaded their springs and its not their product that is the problem.
The thing that burns me is when I emailed HL custmers service was there response:
I would recommend weighing the unit when you have it loaded for a trip to verify that you are not over-loading the unit in the future, just so you are certain that it is not a fault of yours.
Funny that they think I overloaded them as well.
I made the mistake of letting the repair shop install the old ones w/new ones Lippert sent. Shame on me , that won't happen again :mad:.
I will be in contact with them both again now that I have a certified weight ticket.

lwmcguir

These are 4000# Lippert Springs. They are as good as Dexter or the other brands. Apparently the quality is better with the heavier springs or could be different suppliers as well.

Attachments

• HPIM2552..jpg
    HPIM2552..jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 78

Tankie

Where did you get them? Are they on 7k axles or 8k?
It looks to me that they are an 8 pack. My 7k are only a 6 pack. Thanks

lwmcguir

The complete setup is Lippert 8K axles and CP with wet bolts. Bought them from Lippert. Love the improved ride and stability. Not having to worry about a broken spring is definitely worth something as well.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We too have the 8K springs and they are on 7K axles...Lippert thought we were overloaded and increased the spring size. However, we too we over 1,000lbs UNDER our axle capacity at the time. The 8K springs actually have 7 leafs, and we've had no more problem with flat or broken springs...it's been more than a year and probably over 10,000 miles.

Tankie

Thats odd Mike at Lippert keeps telling me I can not install 8k springs on my 7k axles.
I have seen his name on another post, but who is the service manager at Lippert? Thanks Lonnie

beardedone

Beardedone
Thats odd Mike at Lippert keeps telling me I can not install 8k springs on my 7k axles.
I have seen his name on another post, but who is the service manager at Lippert? Thanks Lonnie

I have 4000 lb springs on each end of my 7000 lb axles. I have mentioned in the past that all we did was add an extra leaf, new pin and then added CP with new and re-positioned shocks. Rides a wee bit higher and the axles are actually further apart now but it rides like a dream. It can be done.

Tankie

Gerry you had this done at a spring shop?
I am having CP installed tomarrow will ask the if they work w/spring shop that can do the same. Thanks

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Tankie,
Let us know how Hendersons does for you. They are about 100 miles from us and in the same town our dealer is, since they moved. It would be interesting to hear what you think.
Kristy

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I strongly suggest that anyone who is trying to deal with Lippert Warranty and has received no satisfaction should only speak to one person. His name is Andrew VonSchoink and he is the VP of Warranty. I will not publicly put out his email address out of personal privacy respect but email or call me and I will provide it to you. Lippert's phone number is located on the Portal page of this forum. The buck stops at his desk and he most likely be willing to speak to you about Lippert components that are on Heartland rigs. He has personally told me that Lippert stands behind their products.I also want to clearly state that I cannot speak for Lippert's components safety or efficacy, I only wish to assist all my Heartland friends in resolving their Lippert issues by improving the communications between all sides. I am personally distressed that Lippert doesn't just replace problem suspension parts with the next step up, as I am a strong believer that the customer is always right. Even if it costs them some coin, the good advertising is worth it.

boatdoc

Tankie,
Let us know how Hendersons does for you. They are about 100 miles from us and in the same town our dealer is, since they moved. It would be interesting to hear what you think.
Kristy

Hi Kristy, Does Mark have visions of your springs looking like ours??? Looking forward to the Rally!!
G&D

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Gary,
Ours look OK at least so far. That doesn't mean we won't listen... Hydraulic jacks could be calling. lol

Paul & Nan

After a polite, but strongly worded email to Lippert yesterday we recieved a reply from Michael Locke at Lippert, asking for pictures, vin, serial #s on axels, reciepts, etc. and he would try to help us. We will send all info by certified mail and see what happens. Hopefully they will step up and do what is right, and perhaps look at a total recall. Gee, one can dream. LOL

I strongly suggest that anyone who is trying to deal with Lippert Warranty and has received no satisfaction should only speak to one person. His name is Andrew VonSchoink and he is the VP of Warranty. I will not publicly put out his email address out of personal privacy respect but email or call me and I will provide it to you. Lippert's phone number is located on the Portal page of this forum. The buck stops at his desk and he most likely be willing to speak to you about Lippert components that are on Heartland rigs. He has personally told me that Lippert stands behind their products.I also want to clearly state that I cannot speak for Lippert's components safety or efficacy, I only wish to assist all my Heartland friends in resolving their Lippert issues by improving the communications between all sides. I am personally distressed that Lippert doesn't just replace problem suspension parts with the next step up, as I am a strong believer that the customer is always right. Even if it costs them some coin, the good advertising is worth it.

Tankie

All I can say is.... WOW what a ride:cool:. I love the CP, drove about 250 miles and I can not believe the differance. I just can't believe I waited so long.

Kristy, I am very happy with Henderson, they are very knowledgable and personable. Gilbert listens to your concerns and questions. I had an appointment to have the CP installed, but when I arrived I had concerns about the 2nd set of Lippert springs. He had one of the Techs inspect my springs, as he was he informed me my tires were rubbing on my shocks. He could not believe that the shocks were installed at such a angle. They just took those sorry shocks off to stop them from damaging my tires anymore, plus they were bent.
They are going install new springs and alingn my axles as well as move my upper shocks mounts and install new shocks on my next visit.
For me I can only have work done when traveling through the area moving from jobs. Gilbert did everything he could to accomadate me. They were busy that day but they were very prompt and efficent.
IMO you can not go wrong with Henderson Line-up.

noobee

All I can say is.... WOW what a ride:cool:. I love the CP, drove about 250 miles and I can not believe the differance. I just can't believe I waited so long.

Kristy, I am very happy with Henderson, they are very knowledgable and personable. Gilbert listens to your concerns and questions. I had an appointment to have the CP installed, but when I arrived I had concerns about the 2nd set of Lippert springs. He had one of the Techs inspect my springs, as he was he informed me my tires were rubbing on my shocks. He could not believe that the shocks were installed at such a angle. They just took those sorry shocks off to stop them from damaging my tires anymore, plus they were bent.
They are going install new springs and alingn my axles as well as move my upper shocks mounts and install new shocks on my next visit.
For me I can only have work done when traveling through the area moving from jobs. Gilbert did everything he could to accomadate me. They were busy that day but they were very prompt and efficent.
IMO you can not go wrong with Henderson Line-up.

Please add your service comments about Henderson here: http://rvservicereviews.com/Index.asp. It will be helpful to others.

CS

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC

Kristy, I am very happy with Henderson, they are very knowledgable and personable.

Thanks. Good to know!
Kristy

lwmcguir

CP is the best improvement we have ever made to one of our campers. The 5th Airborne pin box would be a close Second.

esbeasley

Our 3580 is 2 years old last week. We have put about 8000 miles on it:

The problem: doing an inspection I found:

a) the rear axle springs on the off door side had started to "cascade" - it had about a 3/4" offset between 2nd and 3rd leaf.

b) the shock absorber had been rubbing the tire on the same axle: clearance between tire and shock on that axle side are a lot closer than on other axle.

c) found where the front axle, on the same side, the shock had never been connected (it was in the bracket but no evidence of nuts,washers, etc.) The shock is bent

d) on the door side found bent shock.

e) ALL the shocks are mounted at an odd angle to function correctly.

Had a local shop inspect and retorque (6 of 8 bolts), remove unattached shock (had to do while trailer was "hanging" to get enough clearance in the brackets). Started a conversation with Heartland about the problem, sent pictures to them and Lippert and the result was: here is a shock to replace the one that was not attached. Period.

Took a 200 mile trip and checked the bolts: two needed to be retourqued. Enough is enough so I arranged to have everything replaced from the frame down. Had the trailer weighed : neither WHEEL had over 3000# on it, so a total of 6,000# per axle (7,000# axles)

Upon removal of the Lippert axles and springs, we found:

1) the rear axle was 1/2" shorter on the off door side between the brackets and the backing plate. This was the one that was rubbing the tire.

2) ALL the shocks were bent and had been totally compressed from the original date of installation: you could not compress and remove the shocks (or install the new one sent by Heartland) as the distance between the frame bracket and axle bracket was not sufficient to remove/install a fully compressed shock. Once you hung the trailer from the frame and took pressure off the axles, the axle would drop and the shock would extend and could then be removed. One shock had threads so screwed up it had to be cut off.

3) The spring hanger bolt for the rear axle off door side in the Trail Air center bracket was worn flat on 2 sides. This is the axle the cascaded springs were found on originally

I can not tell you how disappointed I am in this. I have owned 7 RV's in the past 30 years+ and have NEVER had an issue like this and the effect this will have on my future buying pattern.

I replaced the suspension with the MorRyde IS and disk brakes. The ride is better, the brakes are AWESOME :p

Attachments

• torn spring eye off door rear axle.JPG
    torn spring eye off door rear axle.JPG
    430.1 KB · Views: 38
  • fully compressed wear mark on shock.JPG
    fully compressed wear mark on shock.JPG
    390.2 KB · Views: 36
  • typical shock.JPG
    typical shock.JPG
    494.1 KB · Views: 35
  • center bolt worn flat.JPG
    center bolt worn flat.JPG