Leaf springs

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
IMHO you may the correct decision in getting the MorRyde IS with the disc brakes. Did you get the never lube bearings too?

Hello esbeasley

Your situation mirrored mine. It is very disappointing to invest thay much money and have such a problem. On the plus side I now have an under-carriage system that is far superior and gives me quite a bit more piece of mind.

The experience with my own 7000# spring replacement is that the new ones will look the same after you change them.
It happened to me that I changed them for nothing, and lippert told me my old ones might be to soft, but the new one on the same place look the same so I keeped the old ones for spares.
The Lippert springs used have a flat section in the center and when loaded they bend back. Most ached springs will not bend in W but if there is a flat section and loaded I feel it can't help but bend backward. If your plates and U-Bolts are loose they will surely make the spring look much more bend in W.
Just my experince that Lippert never clarified with me that the spring all look like that when loaded.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Thats odd Mike at Lippert keeps telling me I can not install 8k springs on my 7k axles.
I have seen his name on another post, but who is the service manager at Lippert? Thanks Lonnie

THAT IS BULL...when our unit was in the factory last year they noticed the flat springs, they had Lippert come out and they put 8K (seven leaf)springs on our 7K axles!! Been driving around on them for more than a year....

boatdoc

The experience with my own 7000# spring replacement is that the new ones will look the same after you change them.
It happened to me that I changed them for nothing, and lippert told me my old ones might be to soft, but the new one on the same place look the same so I keeped the old ones for spares.
The Lippert springs used have a flat section in the center and when loaded they bend back. Most ached springs will not bend in W but if there is a flat section and loaded I feel it can't help but bend backward. If your plates and U-Bolts are loose they will surely make the spring look much more bend in W.
Just my experince that Lippert never clarified with me that the spring all look like that when loaded.

Laurent, Lippert can't clarify any thing for you because IMHO they don't know anything about suspension parts. If you look at the underside of any other frame maker's trailer you will NOT see springs bent it the "w" fashion. I checked and still continue to check other trailers and have not found a single one that has "w" springs. Don't let them baffle you about how their springs are made or "loaded", their stuff is nothing but china crud and they don't care one bit about anyone but themselves and churning this crud out one after another. I've installed hundreds of boat trailer springs and not one has flat spots or a"w" in them. A spring is arched, period.

lwmcguir

A properly loaded spring is arched to leave room for travel when the roadway has a pothole or bump. If the spring isn't arched then it is either to small or is worn out. Springs shouldn't wear out for many many years. I have posted several photos of what loaded springs should look like just as Gary is stating.

Tankie

What the deal is Lippert says I can up 8k springs on but I have to pay for it. I wish they would of been straight with me in the first place, I would of just bought the 8k and been done with it. Now I have to get the 2nd springs replace, sure am glad they care about my wallet :rolleyes:.

StevenJ

I e-mailed Lippert again and responded right away, they said a serviceman e-mailed me in january 2010 for a shipping address to send new parts. I didn't see the e-mail or get a phone call, but it seems they are ready to resolve the problem now. My original e-mail was in January 2010. They are offering to send new springs and anything else I need. They said the new parts are made from another manufacturer and won't be the same parts. My question is should I take the parts or not, one post I read said the new parts were not any better than the old ones. I asked about going to a 8000# leaf springs(we have a 2008 3600RL Bighorn, 7000# axles), Lisa said the they may be too stiff for the frame and it may cause the frame to develope camber( frame bending?). I can do the work myself with 10 ton jacks and the proper tools, I'm just wondering if I should get the 7000# or bump up to the 8000# springs, I should ask Lisa if the warranty would be voided if I used the 8000# springs. This all transpired in the last week so if anyone else is having issues it would be a goood time to e-mail them. Go to the Lippert site, then go to service tab.

SmokeyBare

StevenJ,

I would take the parts and trust that Lippert has made the needed changes to their suppliers so the "Spring" problems they have had go away.

Marv

Tankie

I wish I would have upgraded to the 8k springs and been done with it. I had to spend $400 to replace the the old ones with the new springs Lippert sent me and they don't look much better than the old ones.

boatdoc

I e-mailed Lippert again and responded right away, they said a serviceman e-mailed me in january 2010 for a shipping address to send new parts. I didn't see the e-mail or get a phone call, but it seems they are ready to resolve the problem now. My original e-mail was in January 2010. They are offering to send new springs and anything else I need. They said the new parts are made from another manufacturer and won't be the same parts. My question is should I take the parts or not, one post I read said the new parts were not any better than the old ones. I asked about going to a 8000# leaf springs(we have a 2008 3600RL Bighorn, 7000# axles), Lisa said the they may be too stiff for the frame and it may cause the frame to develope camber( frame bending?). I can do the work myself with 10 ton jacks and the proper tools, I'm just wondering if I should get the 7000# or bump up to the 8000# springs, I should ask Lisa if the warranty would be voided if I used the 8000# springs. This all transpired in the last week so if anyone else is having issues it would be a goood time to e-mail them. Go to the Lippert site, then go to service tab.

What warranty??? Your trailer is an '08 and when they sent me my NEW POS springs they said there would be NO warranty because a 18Y/O highschool dropout, working for a dealer wasn't installing them, I WAS, so NO warranty. They don't believe in warranty, no way no how!!!!

Tankie

If you happen to be on a lot just take a look at the springs on the new units that have just traveled from the manufacture.

StevenJ

I had been e-mailing to Lippert and dealing with Lisa. Her last e-mail said they are waiting for me to tell what parts I need and they will send them. It looks like I should upsize to 4000# springs, my concern is that Lisa said it may causr the frame to camber(frame bending) from too stiff of a spring. I was wondering if anyone had upsized and had any problems or maybe if you did check for frame bending?

Tankie

I have been dealing with Mike at Lippert and he never said anything about frame issues with the upgrade to 8k springs. Just that if I did Lippert only replaces like with like and the total cost would come out of my pocket.
I know that there are a few people on here that have upgraded to 8k springs. Do a search for Lippert warranty doen't care about safety. Good luck.

lwmcguir

I had been e-mailing to Lippert and dealing with Lisa. Her last e-mail said they are waiting for me to tell what parts I need and they will send them. It looks like I should upsize to 4000# springs, my concern is that Lisa said it may causr the frame to camber(frame bending) from too stiff of a spring. I was wondering if anyone had upsized and had any problems or maybe if you did check for frame bending?

Sounds like Lisa might need to be re-trained. Interesting that a 500 pound rating increase could bend the H Beam. With not springs just an axle perhaps. Pretty silly comment from someone that should know a bit more than that.

lwmcguir

I have been dealing with Mike at Lippert and he never said anything about frame issues with the upgrade to 8k springs. Just that if I did Lippert only replaces like with like and the total cost would come out of my pocket.
I know that there are a few people on here that have upgraded to 8k springs. Do a search for Lippert warranty doen't care about safety. Good luck.

A lot easier on the frame if you have springs that have a bow in them and can actually give when you hit a pot hole. The other side is a spring that is already sprung and the frame has to take the beating. What happens when you have empty cargo flat bed trailers? Do the frames bend. What a stupid comment from the Lippert person.