Minimum recommended tools for fulltimer?

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
HappyKayakers said:
Already used it on new shower faucets, outside water filter, anode rod replacement, and accesories for air compressor.
The reason I ask this question was because in all my many camping quests its the main thing people ask to borrow. Its as if everywhere I go someone develops a water leak, kinda gives one a complex.;) KEN

davebennington

tdharley

I also installed a RDS 60 gal toolbox/tank combo in our truck from Northern tool, nice unit altho not very deep tool box it does allow you to carry some necessary things and put them under lock and key. I agree I cannot get 1100 miles like jpmorgan37 but I can go further than the stock tank allows. Well worth the money IMHO.

Dave

SmokeyBare

I selected a deep tool chest behind the cab. One that comes level with the side rails of my truck bed but deep enough so I can store a Honda 2000si Generator inside. This chest also holds my Wrenches and Sockets, hand tools as well as spare nuts, bolts, and anything I feel will help fix what I own.

There were a few times I should have filled up and for some foolish reason didn't. Well the thought of having a few gallons of additional fuel sure sounded good as I watched the gauge dance dangerously close to the Empty side.

I selected several 5 gallon plastic fuel containers lined up between the tool chest and my fifth wheel hitch. I was able to squeeze 6 across with room for two half size containers I use for gasoline for the generator. To keep them from blowing out of the bed when empty I run a strap through the handles and ratched it tight. I have also a wire cable going through the handles attached on one end with an Eye Bolt and the other locked to a second Eye Bolt. Of course... I selected
RED containers and should have looked for YELLOW which is the correct color for Diesel fuel.

As for tools... all that have been mentioned but I also have a Electric Drill, battery powered. I often wished I bought a kit that included a small circular saw along with that Drill...

Boys and Their Toys.....

Marv

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
As far as the ladder goes, I bought a telescopic ladder the reduces to maybe 3' by 2' give or take a few inches. It is good for up to 250 lbs. so I'll have to watch my weight..../Doug

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

bsnider
I am a carpenter/retired firefighter. When my better half and I full timed I took everything but the kitchen sink. This included a set of battery operated tools, which included a skill saw, saber saw, drill, small vac, and a chain saw. It was a kit form Ryobi. You should sit and think about just what you would be willing to tackle and what tools you feel yo may need. The wrenches, screwdiver set, and socket sets are a must. As is the torgue wrench, and a 6 ton bottle jack, or in my case two.
I have a folding ladder from Camping World mounted on the top of the basment area with the old fashion TV antenna mounts. It is the six foot model and I wish I had the seven footer, but alas I full time no more, so it is not a problem now.

Glenn

kognito

tdharley said:
Hey kognito

I have been wrestling with the tool box/ fuel tank thing.

Did you install it yourself?

The things that keeps stopping me is, first the weight. By the time you get done filling it and the box weight you are coming close to 500lbs. And 2nd the $1,700.00 price tag, it seems to me it gonna take along time to see any savings.

Whats your take on it?

Talk me into it, I am on the fence.

With installation it was closer to 2400. Here is (was) my problem. I have the Tow boss (4.30 gears) but I have the short bed dually. Weight is no problem, but the factory fuel tank is only 29 gallons. I had to add something, but was limited on space due to the 6.5 foot bed. This gave me double fuel (at 10.2 mpg towing, 29 gallons doesn't last too long!) and tool box, and clears my hitch and trailer.

Also, in NJ, this is the only legal extra fuel tank I could add. (other than factory installed) I'm going full time soon, but cops in NJ can be "troublesome"

Doug

http://www.outbackers.com/forums/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=5310

click on link to see my current setup (you don't see too many short bed duallys on the road!!)

bigdog6.6

Fuel tank

I had a Transfer-Flow fuel tank installed. It's a 70 gal. straight tank (no toolbox), If you do much traveling they make a difference when you have a choice of where to re-fuel. As you know, there is quite a difference in the cost of diesel at different places. My truck had an oem tank that held 26 gals. and to me that wasn't enough for full timing. The tank is fully automatic, it pumps fuel into tour oem tank as needed and is monitored by a computer.
So far, it has worked like it is supposed to.

Bigdog6.6 07 Chev 2500HD Duramax
07 BigHorn

cramor

tools

i guess i might get carried away when it comes to tools. but then again we can never have enough and they are a good investment. cordless drills can be very handy. i do most of my own work so the more the merrier. just put firestone over loads on the truck had to drill eight holes in frame. with the overloads on i realized my shocks where back so had to change those out, a good socket set came in handy. i made a box for the truck behind cab that is for just my tools measures 54X24X20 and it is full. even have a work bench that i take down and stow i like to tinker. dont for get wire tie wraps come in different sizes and can be very helpful

Luckyhat12

I carry a full set of cordless tools just because I own them and I am not leaving them in storage for the batteries to die. I have a full set of sockets that I keep in my truck all the time. With my craftsman box and some extras in the drawer that are specific to my needs and I can do anything I want to. it is this one.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00933260000P?mv=rr

I have rebuilt motors, changed transmissions, installed airbags, 5th wheel hitches, exhaust brakes, rear ends, shocks, stands and tie downs and pretty much everything else I have done in the last 4 years out of that box. I also keep a 3lb mini sledge hammer for things like rebar and things that may be in the ground that could puncture a tire. I also keep a 12 or 15" crecent wrench in a storage box because just when I think I won't need it, I have used it 3 or 4 times to bend things back to where they should be or to tighten trailer balls or to just use it to hold a flexible piece of material when I need to drill a hole in it. It works surprisingly well.

I have a saw-zall in my cordless tools but if not I would have some sort of bow saw, some hedge clippers or snips for those times that limbs are hitting my fents or antennas. Sawzall is great for getting fire wood as well. saves the arms. I have a 2-3lb dead blow hammer to keep from marring and deflecting pieces. I use it more than any other hammer I have ever owned. I have a small drill bit assortment. I have a caulk gun as well.

I also bought an extendable paint handle that is 7ft long from Home depot. I bought the wash brush that goes with it and I also bought a windshield bug scrubber that will screw onto the same handle. This helps with the bugs on the front of the camper.

I am going to be buying a telescoping ladder so that I can get to the front areas of the camper because the ladder on the back just doesn't cut it for all applications.

The other things are listed... 12ton bottle jack because it was on sale as cheap as the 6 ton. some small jack stands and rubber wheel chocks for the trailer.

I also bought a 2gal air compressor that I keep in my truck toolbox. It fits nicely and airs up my tires, airbags and air ride hitch. I also keep a clip on tire air chuck and let the compressor work for me. I set the regulator at the pressure where I need whatever blown up to and clip the chuck on and let it run till it stops. This helps a lot when you are airing up 10 tires, 2 airbags and an air ride hitch.

Just some of the things I have.

Cirrus

For all of us diesel guys..........I never leave home without a spare fuel filter and strap wrench to remove it. I've never had a batch of bad fuel yet, but it seems to happen to some people too often, and then your day just turns to "bad" while parked on the side of the road.
Duct tape...oh yeah!
Full set of Metric- SAE sockets and wrenches
19.2 volt drill/driver
Fuses, washers, nuts, bolts, screws
Torque wrench
Teflon Tape
Electrical tape
First Aid Kit...for of of those little ouches....while fixing things:)