Pinbox Frame Flex (Again) in So. Ca.

RandyDeb

I called Heartland customer service this morning and talked with Bob this time. After discussing the facts that its a 9 year old trailer and that I'm the second owner he gave me his email so I could send him some pictures that he would forward to Lippert. He didn't sound hopeful, but its a start.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll keep you posted

Randy

RandyDeb

Update
Bob has the pictures and has sent them up the chain, so now we are waiting. I also took some measurements and without moving the trailer just setting it down on the truck and picking it back up I have 5/8 of an inch flex and ripples in the sidewalls on both sides.

Randy

Last edited:

RandyDeb

Update

After calling on Friday and again yesterday, I got an email from Bob this morning stating that both Heartland and Lippert declined to address the flex issue on our 3670. Can't say I'm surprised, but I'm sure disappointed that this is the way its going to go. Its a game of "hot potato" Heartland says its Lappet's issue because they build the frame and Lippert says it's Heartlands issue because its there design! I'm not ready to eat this yet so if anyone has a contact name number or email of someone at Heartland that I can contact I would appreciate the help!

Randy

danemayer

Randy,

Once the warranty expires, any work paid for by Lippert or Heartland is usually a marketing accommodation in the interest of customer satisfaction. There are a few examples of such accommodations going past the original buyer, but not many.

You should ask Heartland to schedule you into the service center in Elkhart for repairs at your expense. Even if it costs several thousand dollars, on top of your purchase price, you'll probably still have a great deal on your 2008. And there's always a chance that after they open up the front and see what's wrong, they could change their mind about who pays.

RandyDeb

danemayer
Re: Pinbox Frame Flex (Again) in So. Ca.
Randy,

Once the warranty expires, any work paid for by Lippert or Heartland is usually a marketing accommodation in the interest of customer satisfaction. There are a few examples of such accommodations going past the original buyer, but not many.

You should ask Heartland to schedule you into the service center in Elkhart for repairs at your expense. Even if it costs several thousand dollars, on top of your purchase price, you'll probably still have a great deal on your 2008. And there's always a chance that after they open up the front and see what's wrong, they could change their mind about who pays.​

Dan,

I can understand the marketing accommodation in the interest of customer satisfaction, because right now, I'm a very unhappy customer! I thought Heartland was better than this! As for making an appointment with Heartland to fix it at an inflated cost of a couple more thousand dollars! Why would I do that? Help me understand? Are you thinking that I'm buying this trailer now? I have owned it for over 4 years. Not to mention that its 800 miles each way and would require two trips I'm sure. That's going to be 3 or 4 days of travel for each trip and another $1,000.00 in fuel plus hotel rooms after the trailer is dropped off. I think that as a "supposedly valued customer" I would get more from Heartland than an email saying "sorry your on your own", but please come and buy another product from us!

Randy

danemayer

danemayer
Re: Pinbox Frame Flex (Again) in So. Ca.
Randy,

You should ask Heartland to schedule you into the service center in Elkhart for repairs at your expense. Even if it costs several thousand dollars, on top of your purchase price, you'll probably still have a great deal on your 2008. And there's always a chance that after they open up the front and see what's wrong, they could change their mind about who pays.​

Dan,

I can understand the marketing accommodation in the interest of customer satisfaction, because right now, I'm a very unhappy customer! I thought Heartland was better than this! As for making an appointment with Heartland to fix it at an inflated cost of a couple more thousand dollars! Why would I do that? Help me understand? Are you thinking that I'm buying this trailer now? I have owned it for over 4 years. Not to mention that its 800 miles each way and would require two trips I'm sure. That's going to be 3 or 4 days of travel for each trip and another $1,000.00 in fuel plus hotel rooms after the trailer is dropped off. I think that as a "supposedly valued customer" I would get more from Heartland than an email saying "sorry your on your own", but please come and buy another product from us!

Randy

Randy,

It seems to me you have a limited set of choices:

1. Pay Heartland to fix it.
  2. Pay someone else to fix it.
  3. Fix it yourself.
  4. Don't fix the problem.

Heartland has the expertise to fix the trailer. You or other shops? Who knows.

Not fixing it is probably a non-starter because if you keep using it without fixing it, you may eventually wind up in a condition where it can't be towed for use, or transported for repair.

I'm a pragmatic person. When you said Heartland and Lippert declined to fix it at their expense, I just jumped right to what I think is the only viable answer.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Randy,

Yes there is a possibility of a frame flex issue.

Did Lippert or Heartland explain all the OTHER things that could cause your symptoms?

Just playing devil's advocate, maybe someone dropped it on their truck bed? Maybe it was towed with a gooseneck adapter? Maybe there is unseen water damage? I am really curious about the dealer that sold it this way.

I know you are unhappy. But like Dan said, Take it to Heartland and get their hands into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RandyDeb

I see your points. No explanation on "what else" it could be. Say I do take it to Heartland and have them fix it. What kind of warranty do they provide on there shop work? I read through the posts on this thread and looks like it's not a sure thing that it would get fixed even after serval times through there shop. I'll call Bob back tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Thanks guys

CDN

B and B
Hello Randy,

I am just reading this whole thread. The age of your trailer, exact same issue with Wildcat and other Forest River pin box failures in the same manufacturing years. It was so bad for Wildcat they abandoned Lippert and when with BAL fames that where eventually bought by Lippert.

The choice is yours as to repair. If it was mine and this age of trailer I would get it fixed up, repaired at reasonable cost and dump it. I had a 1 year old Travel Trailer that had a slide that never ever worked right from day 1 first trip out. I dumped the trailer 13 months in, took the hit, screamed at Forest River (they had 2 year warranty at the time) and bought a new fifth wheel with a small discount from Forest River. The TT I owned was sold and parked on a to never to see the road again hence no more slide issues.

We can not spend your money, only you can. I think you have the answer from Heartland and being the age approaching 10 years it is a little far out for a total vendor/manufacture solution. Possible approach a agreement where you drive there, cover your own costs and then ask if Heartland would allow you to get the repair completed at their out of pocket cost.

Just a thought

Brian

dsamford

Same thing

Our 2009 BH 3400RL did the same thing. Sold it to a "permanent Camper location" so it wont be moved again.
I didn't tear into ours. But sure it wouldn't be pretty or cheap.

Attachments

• IMG_2635.jpg
    IMG_2635.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 67

RandyDeb

Sorry for not getting back to you guys for a few days.

No deal with Heartland. Bob in service said no thanks, don't even bring it here because we don't do that kind of repair anyway! I then called Lippert and talked with Philip. After giving him the seral number he said they already had a file started and gave me the case number. He then directed me to take it to a dealer (didn't need to be a Heartland dealer) and give them the case number, contact information so that the issue can be looked at. I have an appointment to drop the trailer off late tomorrow afternoon. I'm assuming the dealer will open the front and take measurements and try and find where the problem is and send that info to Lippert. Philip didn't make an issue of the facts of age or second owner, yet anyway. Not sure what Lippert intends to do other than help address the problem and get it fixed. If they would offer to fix it if I could get it to them, I would consider that a big win! But not going to hold my breath. Either way, it needs to be fixed.

Obviously Bob at Heartland had talked to Lippert because they already had the file started, but I'm still disappointed in how Heartland has responded to what I consider a know problem with there product. Sorry if that puts anyone off!

I'll keep you posted

Randy

wdk450

Lippert used to do factory repairs on frames, but I think their operation is just geared to steel welding with no fiberglass disassembly. Having a repairer NEAR the Lipert factory in Goshen, Indiana may be a plus, as I think they have welding crews who travel. The description of the Heartland repairs in the past frequently mentions welding crews from Lippert coming to Heartland to do repairs.

TravelTiger

Sorry for not getting back to you guys for a few days.

No deal with Heartland. Bob in service said no thanks, don't even bring it here because we don't do that kind of repair anyway! I then called Lippert and talked with Philip. After giving him the seral number he said they already had a file started and gave me the case number. He then directed me to take it to a dealer (didn't need to be a Heartland dealer) and give them the case number, contact information so that the issue can be looked at. I have an appointment to drop the trailer off late tomorrow afternoon. I'm assuming the dealer will open the front and take measurements and try and find where the problem is and send that info to Lippert. Philip didn't make an issue of the facts of age or second owner, yet anyway. Not sure what Lippert intends to do other than help address the problem and get it fixed. If they would offer to fix it if I could get it to them, I would consider that a big win! But not going to hold my breath. Either way, it needs to be fixed.

Obviously Bob at Heartland had talked to Lippert because they already had the file started, but I'm still disappointed in how Heartland has responded to what I consider a know problem with there product. Sorry if that puts anyone off!

I'll keep you posted

Randy

Thanks for keeping us updated and letting us know how it's going. I for one am also really surprised at this "Bob" at Heartland. They do frame flex repair, and have for many years, even before they had their new service center built! (I do believe Lippert comes and does the actual welding on the frame work.) Maybe someone other than Bob needs to be giving the answers.

RandyDeb

Tony,

I did ask Bob for a name and number of someone "up the chain" in an email and got no reply. That was a week or more ago... If anyone has a contact name I would appreciate the help. Trailer went to the shop last night.

TravelTiger

Tony,

I did ask Bob for a name and number of someone "up the chain" in an email and got no reply. That was a week or more ago... If anyone has a contact name I would appreciate the help. Trailer went to the shop last night.

Randy,

BYW It's Erika making the comments.

I would ask for Jim Fenner, he is over the service area. He is a long-time Heartland employee and has treated us very fairly through the years. I've treated him with respect and courtesy, and he has done the same.

RandyDeb

Update

As of this last Friday, Lippert authorized the dealer 1 hour of labor to open up the front of our BH and take pictures of any broken welds they can find. I have not called Heartland yet because of not having any new information. Would like to know what they find and what Lippert says before I call Heartland again...

JMP

Lippert used to do factory repairs on frames, but I think their operation is just geared to steel welding with no fiberglass disassembly. Having a repairer NEAR the Lipert factory in Goshen, Indiana may be a plus, as I think they have welding crews who travel. The description of the Heartland repairs in the past frequently mentions welding crews from Lippert coming to Heartland to do repairs.

While at Heartland Service Center in Elkhart during August this year having warranty items done, Lippert had mobile welding teams on site repairing three trailers. I think one was a gateway, one was a bighorn, and I do not recollect the other trailer.

Last edited:

BigGuy82

I was just browsing and stumbled ontp this thread. How does one know if they have pinbox frame flex? What are the signs? Where do you check for this?

TravelTiger

On our previous rig, on the 5th wheel overhang (under the bedroom) area, the caulking would crack and separate when hitched. (Notice this caulking has been redone a few times. I'm better at it now than back then.) And then close up when unhitched.

e27f3b6df5e057b74427509c8c972ce6.jpg