Post Rally Feedback - Lady Drivers (backing/driving session)

gawelsh

:eek: :eek: George is so happy about the planned training for the '07 Rally - backing up that Mt Rushmore is still pretty challenging for us. Along with the crew cab truck, the overall length of the rig is intimidating !!! He will definitely be "signing up" for the training opportunity - THANKS for arranging it for everyone. It's appreciated.

We'll be coming in Wed to the Rally and will look for compassionate fellow RV'ers to help us get into our site ! We're so excited about it and can't wait to meet everyone.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
we live in Nc so we will not be making the rally,but I would like some backing tips. Towed a TT for many years and could put it about anywhere I wanted it but ,backing our Mt. Rushmore is a horse of a different color. I am slowly learning but I am still having some problems.:eek:

K

Ken Washington

Terry,
You have to remember to stop your turn sooner than with a TT. It will come with time, I am still trying to get the hang of it! Also, always try to back to your left and not the blind side.

Ken

jpmorgan37

One thing that we use that has helped me immensely over the years are walkie talkies. Sue gets behind me and watches and I have mine on the console beside me. She see's what I can't and has saved me problems many times. A few bucks invested has saved much in frustration, wear and tear and insurance deductibles.

John

dieselengineer

Charter Member
gawelsh

I am just over the other side of the river in Hershey

JPmorgan

I second the comment about the radios. They were the best investment for backing. I set my radio on auto (talk hands free) and clip it to the sun visor. My wife is the spotter. I told her to keep talking most of the time, since silence to me means that I must have run over her. Just simple instruction in relationship to the back of the coach is all that is needed. Like "back to door side" or "back to off door side" and obvious "STOP"
This also works for extending the slides.

jpmorgan37

DE;

Amen!!!!! Since I am somewhat dyslexic and have a serious problem with right and left, Sue tells me drivers side or passenger side.

John

trdeal

Thanks for all the advise. We do use walkies and this helps. Because of my wifes work schedule, I usually take the camper to the campground and set it up by myself, and usually I do back into the spots on my left. Now, I will admit, there is always plenty of volunters , sometimes to many, to help me get backed in, and really I am thankful for their help.But I guess we all have those stories. I know it takes time.

K

Ken Washington

Terry,
I know that you go a lot to Ocean Lakes. Don't you just love those pull though sites?

Ken

trdeal

Ken,
LOVE THOSE PULL THROUGH SITES. I would love to be sitting in one right now.:D :D :D :D :D :D

K

Ken Washington

Terry,
Just a quick note. Our grandson will arrive today!!!!! We are just about ready to leave for the hospital. It's a good day for his birthday!

Ken

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
A hint we picked up a couple of years ago is my wife will stand on a spot where I want a back corner. Obviously we pick a corner where she is in view oin a mirror, this makes it a bit easier to get set where you want it. Usually minor adjustments after that. We also use the radios.

trdeal

Ken, Sounds like you are a little excited. I don't blame you. I would be too. Don't have a grand child yet. I don't think my son and his wife will be ready for a while, but I am ready when they are. Congratulations. Renee and I hope that all goes well with the delivery. Keep us posted.

jpmorgan37

Congratulations Ken;

It's an exciting time. Now, just wait until the Great Grandbabies come along. That's a new enjoyment all over again.

God Bless,

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Towing Training

We haven't seen any more threads for some time about possible Towing Training for the Ladies at the 2007 Rally. Is anyone pursuing the feasability of having a class ?

Sharol would be interested in learning at least the capability to tow the trailer and manuvering in a forward direction.

If such a class couldn't be fitted in during the 3 days of the Rally, perhaps Sunday afternoon something could be done. I think we would be willing to stay a bit longer to take advantage of the training.

Tom & Sharol

arisce

Tom and Sharol,
From what I understand and Jim can correct me if I am wrong, Scott has agreed to get us a rig and the fairgrounds has given us space to set up some sort of area where people can learn a few things about pulling and backing up!!! My husband and at least one other man have agreed to train us. Jim was going to work it into the timetable so we will now await his reply to this posting.
See you at the rally. It is great fun.

jbeletti

Hi Karen,

You have it correct. Scott has ensured me that we will have a trailer be it from a dealer or the factory. Tanya okayed the use of the parking lot and Larry (slaytop) will be advising me soon as to where it will be on our Friday schedule. As it stands now, Larry is planning to take one of our presentations outside for a hands-on with the wheel/hub/brakes/axle area. It is during this time that we anticipate having the trailer driving/backing class going. That said, if Bill really, really doesn't want to miss the hands-on thing, we can probably move the driving class a bit.

Jim

On edit: Corrected day from Saturday to Friday :eek:

Last edited: