Post Rally Feedback - Lady Drivers (backing/driving session)

BluegrassMan

Guy's
Any of you ever got in an argument over the walkie-talkie ? We have, most of the time DW forgets to press the button while talking. I've had to get out of the truck and walk back. Believe it or not.

Tom of Ypsi

Denny,

I can relate to that. I usually keep looking in the mirror, wait for Judy to quit talking then talk in mine and say push the button. After two or three times I end up walking back a looking the situation over myself.

jpmorgan37

I guess I'm lucky. I just listen and do the backing. Sue does the talking. If it gets too quiet, then I stop and go back to see if she's still upright ;>)

John

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
I must admit, I'm usually the one not pressing the button to talk or releasing and still talking. My wife grew up with farmers and her dad used radios for years on his farm equipment so she is used to using a radio.../Doug

Forrest Fetherolf

I bought a friend RV Education 101. He bought a shortbed with slider and a used toy hauler. He forgot to extend the slider and wiped out his rear window. Forgot to look up and his wiped out his antenna. Drove off without the hitchpin latched and dropped the rv on the truck bed. Got stuck at the beach, tried to 4wd out and snapped the front axle.
Now don't under estimate this guy, he is a fine mechanic and drag races his VW bug..........8.82 seconds @ 159 mph in the 1/4 mile.
The dvd mentioned placing orange safety cones to guide you when backing up. This certainly might help and reduce family disputes.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Forrest - if Robin Williams can make such a great film out of a rented motorhome, maybe he can be signed up to do the same with a 5er.

I never laughed so much as when I saw that film - probably because some of that had happened to me.:)

arisce

Training course

I just e-mailed Jim and my partner. We will post the final date, place and time soon.

jbeletti

Just wanted to update the rally attendees that the Trailer Backing Training is still and go and still being planned.

William Parent (1/2 of arisce) and Bill Axel (1/2 of kaxel) will be our trainers.

This training session will most likely be concurrent with other sessions occuring in the main building. That said, our trainers and trainees will miss a few other sessions in the main building.

We are working out timing and logistics and will have more detail in the final agenda. We'll most likely have a signup form for this. The signup may be held onsite, not before the rally. Depending on the popularity of this, only a handful of people will have the chance to get behind the wheel. But many others will be able to be there to observe and learn.

Jim

nhunter

Here's a switch. I have gotten out of truck and ran the radio and let dw back in the trailer. She was amazed how easy it handles.

jbeletti

Another update on this. Rob Reid of Great Lakes RV Center has agreed to supply a trailer and cones for this event. Event timing is being worked on by the Seminars Committee and the agenda will be updated with the timing of this training soon.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Jim I would be interested in training (depending on time I dont want to miss the factory tour. Let me know where to apply.
Thanks Wayne

jbeletti

Hi Wayne,

Right now, we think we'll be doing an onsite signup for this. This is looking to be a 2 hour session that will be going on at the same time as our other seminars. Probably after lunch. William Parent (DH 1/2 of arisce) will be the coordinator/main trainer.

Most people "will not" be able to get behind the wheel. Many people will be able to listen, observe and learn.

Sorry that we will not be able to accommodate a large number of people behind the wheel but from a timing perspective, it's just not possible. Still, plenty to learn by just being there.

Thanks for asking the question Wayne as I am sure others had the same.

Jim

Forrest Fetherolf

Got Goodyear.........

Forrest Fetherolf said:
I bought a friend RV Education 101. He bought a shortbed with slider and a used toy hauler. He forgot to extend the slider and wiped out his rear window. Forgot to look up and his wiped out his antenna. Drove off without the hitchpin latched and dropped the rv on the truck bed. Got stuck at the beach, tried to 4wd out and snapped the front axle.

My friend's story continues..........while enroute from Los Angeles to Phoenix and after viewing the video, he walked around the rv at a rest stop and discovered a tire problem. Fortunately, his pit crew (11 month old son) was ready with jack in hand; he not only helped change the tire, but also works on his race car. Never to young to learn....

Attachments

• Phoenix001.JPG
    Phoenix001.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Phoenix003.JPG
    Phoenix003.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Phoenix005.JPG
    Phoenix005.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 46

jbeletti

Great (and cute!) pics Forrest.

That bulge on that tire is huge! Hope he got a free replacement from Goodyear.

Jim

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Thanks Bill & Bill

Many thanks to the two "Bills" for providing the trailer towing/back up training. Sharol enjoyed it very much and felt confident enough to do some towing on our way home. I let her take the wheel at Houghton Lake MI on US-127 Northbound and she even had to go through a narrow barreled lane of construction. She did very well and drove for about 20-30 miles. Thanks also to whoever provided the tow vehicle and trailer.

We arrived home today about 3 PM and are buttoning things down as we have a severe weather warning with the possibility of tornados for tonight.

Cheers to all.....

Tom & Sharol

arisce

Lady Drivers

Hello ladies,
Just wondering if any of the ladies who attended the Friday trailer-backing up sessions with my Bill and Bill Axel did any driving on the way home as was suggested. I drove for approximately 3 hours each day and found I was very comfortable driving the unit and even passing big trucks on the highway. I even managed to enter and exit 2 gas stations along the way without damaging the rig! I was certainly more comfortable driving home this year than last, so obviously practice makes the experience less daunting every time. Now I will work on cornering and then backing up the rig as I am determined to be able to manage it if Bill ever falls ill or can not drive it. I figure if Kathy and Connie can do it, so can I.
Any feedback on the Friday session from anyone who attended it? It would be great to know if it was helpful and if something similiar should be planned for 2009 when we are back in Elkhart and have access to the big parking lot. Hope to hear from you soon.
Karen

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Saundra really enjoyed the class and told me that I should have attended it as well. So, in 2009, I will sign up for it.

jbeletti

I heard great things about this session. The parking lot at the Fairgrounds seemed to be ideal (as we could get) for it too. Albeit very hot out that day.

I'd like Nancy to take this one. Perhaps the "Two Bills Training" guys can reprise their roles!

Jim

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
Karen
Lana drove about 40 miles on the way home and did very well. It did not take her long to keep up with traffic on I80 and had to tell her keep at 65 miles per hour and not 70 miles per hour. She said it was neat to drive and is now ready to drive in a city also. I was so glad Lana was brave enough to just try it with everyone whatching. That is a bit different also and I was not telling Lana you are doing this all wrong. A great program for anyone who has never been behind the wheel of a 5th wheel coach. Great job to both Bills. Evans & Lana