Potential Diesel Owner

ncrzrbk

I have my first Ram a 2012 2500 CTD. I have had no issues with 33000 mikes. Pulls my Sundance very well. I have been very impressed with the motor and exhaust brake. The interior is perfect for our family with CC. The most common issues I have seen on the cummins forum on the newer models was related to CEL's being thrown for the radio and nav. Most people love the improved mileage with DEF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

happykraut

I'm on my third Dodge Ram Diesel 02, 04.5 and now 08. Only problem so far was a in-tank fuel pump. The 08 has about 103,000 mi on it. Getting ready to get a 2015 Ram 3500 SRW. I don't drive a Dodge because it's a Dodge, I drive it because it has a Cummins in it. Before I bought my first diesel I walked into a new dealership in Durango CO. Very unusual they sold Fords, Dodges and Toyota's under one roof. I asked the service manager if I should purchase a Ford or a Dodge. He chuckled and said that 10 Fords come into his shop for every Dodge. Buy the best, get a Cummins(that should rile up a few LOL).

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Remember...the NEW Dodges are now dealing with DEF...this is where the majority of issues are coming from.

Kbvols

I'm on my third Dodge Ram Diesel 02, 04.5 and now 08. Only problem so far was a in-tank fuel pump. The 08 has about 103,000 mi on it. Getting ready to get a 2015 Ram 3500 SRW. I don't drive a Dodge because it's a Dodge, I drive it because it has a Cummins in it. Before I bought my first diesel I walked into a new dealership in Durango CO. Very unusual they sold Fords, Dodges and Toyota's under one roof. I asked the service manager if I should purchase a Ford or a Dodge. He chuckled and said that 10 Fords come into his shop for every Dodge. Buy the best, get a Cummins(that should rile up a few LOL).

Bernie...No brainer...Duramax !! That'lll keep the pot stirred up. Lol.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Yep...even though we've had some issues with this 2011...we have placed an order for a 2015. Supposedly GM has fixed the bugs in the emissions system...sure hope so! Love my Chevy!

GWRam

I'm looking for a good dependable TV. If I make the change it will be with the Ram. Really want the 3500 dually but am afraid to have that much truck sticking out. So, I'll probably opt for the 2500 and upgrade my toy to fit that. Reason being, I'll be using the TV as a daily driver also. Thant will eliminate being able to tow a BH or Elkridge. Maybe the Elkridge light. Is anybody towing a heavier 5th wheel with the 2500? Again thanks for the replies.

Baker,
I'm not sure why you would need to eliminate the BH or Elkridge. I tow with a 2013 RAM 2500HD Cummins Crew cab short bed. Stripped down model. We tow a Gateway 3650BH 41' 15500lbs, very similar weight to the BH. Tows like a dream. Our 2500HD (vin #) is well within the tow limits and pin weight limits required of our Gateway. Each truck will be different a little bit based on configuration..gears, tires, transmission and features that add weight to the truck. Ours is a strippo. Rear Bench, Front split bench with fold down console and 4xx4 shifter on the floor were it belongs(IMO). Base model Radio is my only regret. Its basically a high end radio from the 1970's with sat radio capabilities included, AM/FM no cd. I will say the sound is awesome though with the kicker speaker system.
I know our 2500 works well, not to say a SRW 3500 wouldn't be nice. Just longer. At least when we were looking all the 3500 we saw were long beds. With our Q24 hitch in our short bed turning clearance is not an issue (cap to cab) at least on level ground.
Dave

'Lil Guy'

Baker,
I'm not sure why you would need to eliminate the BH or Elkridge. I tow with a 2013 RAM 2500HD Cummins Crew cab short bed. Stripped down model. We tow a Gateway 3650BH 41' 15500lbs, very similar weight to the BH. Tows like a dream. Our 2500HD (vin #) is well within the tow limits and pin weight limits required of our Gateway. Each truck will be different a little bit based on configuration..gears, tires, transmission and features that add weight to the truck. Ours is a strippo. Rear Bench, Front split bench with fold down console and 4xx4 shifter on the floor were it belongs(IMO). Base model Radio is my only regret. Its basically a high end radio from the 1970's with sat radio capabilities included, AM/FM no cd. I will say the sound is awesome though with the kicker speaker system.
I know our 2500 works well, not to say a SRW 3500 wouldn't be nice. Just longer. At least when we were looking all the 3500 we saw were long beds. With our Q24 hitch in our short bed turning clearance is not an issue (cap to cab) at least on level ground.
Dave
That's good to hear. Off the top of my head, I thought the HH and Elkridge have hitch weight of around 2400 lbs. Along with the hitch, isn't that getting near the GVW? I'll check into it. Really don't want the 3500 for a daily driver. But I'll be going with the Ram when I go diesel. Thanks for the input. Hate to have a flat on the rear pulling that rig.

scottyb

I can't speak for Ram, but there is little to no difference in the ride between a F250 and a F350, GM 2500/3500, all things being equal. There is more difference in the ride between a SWB and a LWB. If you are pulling any 5th wheel, there are many reasons to buy a 350/3500, and almost no reasons to buy a 250/2500.

gtsum2

pretty big difference between ram 2500 and 3500 srw. For 2014 the 2500 gets the same frame as the 3500, but the 2500 has coil springs in the rear. Most Ram 2500's have payload capacity around 2200-2600lbs...my 2014 loaded Laramie 3500 SRW has payload capacity of 4075lbs. If pulling a 14k fifth wheel, you will most likely max out the Ram 2500 payload capacity from hitch and pin weight before you get any passengers in the truck. And yes, my 3500 SRW rides rougher than the Ram 2500 with coil springs

porthole

Retired
Remember...the NEW Dodges are now dealing with DEF...this is where the majority of issues are coming from.

SCR systems using DEF are not causing the majority of issues.

EGR is the biggest culprit followed by DPF's and regen sceaniros.
All 3 have issues with EGR and DPF systems. They all will require maintenance eventually for the exhaust filters. The Cummins claim to fame with the emissions is that the were able to go the longest before needing a SCR system.

EGR has been an Achilles heal with gasoline and diesel engines since it was introduced in the 70's. There is potentially nothing worse for a diesel then to dump exhaust gas back into the turbo.

Removing emission devices and adding tuners is not the answer. Before long you will not even be able to buy a tuner. As of now some of the big players are dropping out or being forced out by mega fines and EPA penalties.

Besides, the current crop of trucks run so clean that we no longer have to scrub the right side of the trailer when you get home.

Now, if you want the best bang for your buck, you probably can't beat a stripped down Ram with Cummins for price. Ram's start out with the lowest vehicle MSRP, so pricing is an advantage.

But, it you are looking for the flat out best equipped, best riding, most towing, best looking truck, your only choice in the light duty market is the Ford Super Duty.

Duane
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bohemian

The total difference between a Chevy Silverado CC SWB SRW 4x4 in 2500 vs 3500 is about 75lbs added weight from upgraded frame, suspension, and drive train components. A change from about 3000 lbs payload to about 4000 lbs. with the exact same tow capacity.

It is payload that is the determining factor in properly/comfortably towing most 5th wheels

Jim.Allison

Ditto.....I put 15 psi in airbags to level nicely, that Cumins 6.7 runs like a scalded dog pulling the BC3650RL. Other than the little hiccup i went through here, Im happy as all getout. I topped a pass in New Mexico, I looked at the wife and said "that is just sick" that my RAM pulled that grade without flinching. then coming down the other side the exhaust brake held me on my cruise control setting. As far as the rough ride, that can be eliminated by the installation of airbags and keeping about 10 psi in them (a prescribed by airbag manufacturer). The ride will smooth out without affecting the already fair amount of rake. Once the springs have slid around a little the ride gets way smother. I bought it to pull and pull it does, I get excellent fuel mileage and use hardly any DEF fluid. Pulling or not, my RAM rides like a cadillac.
Baker,
Dave

Bohemian

From what I have seen, both the 2500 and 3500 are available in short beds. Only the duallies come only in long beds. Dealer inventories another matter all together. Most dealers rarely have 3500s in stock.

Boostable

Buy what you like and enjoy it. All the new trucks are super nice and all will have varying issue. That said, I am a GM guy and the 2015 is leaps and bounds a better truck then my 09.

'Lil Guy'

I really appreciate all of the good info from this site. As I try to get a clearer picture of the diesel, it appears that most of the complaints with them is occurring on the other Ram sites. Seems the diesel is made to work. Not knowing all of the tech terms of the new clean air systems installed on the new rigs, it looks like they do their thing better on the highway pulling a load. Going to the dealer tomorrow to try and test drive a 35 against the 25 Ram. Also thinking the 2015 Ram might have some of the electronics, ECU gremlins worked out a little better. It also appears some of you here are towing the BC, BH and Elkridge FW with the 2500 truck. They seem to average 23 to 27 hundred pounds of hitch weight. Are you not concerned with the payload of the trucks? What tires and wheel size works best for payload? I'm currently looking at the Elkridge Extreme Lite 289 model in a brochure. Haven't seen one on a lot yet. This is due to it's hitch weight of 1725 LBs advertised. I'm sure you give up a lot of build quality when you shave all of that weight, But I'll move these questions to the Elkridge family site. Again, thanks for the info received here. Dealers want to sell trucks and I want to get it right the first time. Like to get a fair idea of what I want and need when I go in. This is going to be a major purchase. I really don't want to have to deal with a dually. Seems it's enough problem hauling these toys with just 2. Only concern is a blowout on the rear with the extra weight. Anyone know what to expect if this happens? Again, thanks for the replies.

pegmikef

Don't forget that that hitch weight is dry without any options or necessities like a generator, one or more batteries, two propane tanks, stuff in the basement and anything loaded in the front end in the bedroom. It doesn't take much to add two or three hundred pounds to that tongue weight

whp4262

I've been towing and using my dually as a daily driver for the last 9 years. You get used to it pretty quick and it's not as difficult as it might seem.

Boostable

How you like that 2015....ours goes online the week of the 25th...

I am really enjoying the truck. MANY MANY subtle enhancements/upgrades from the previous years. Truck tows extremely well and more then enough power/torque to get the job done. The only thing I did was added bags to the rear, but after the fact not sure it was a must. It does help me to get the nose up a bit on the highway.

I usually tune my trucks with EFI Live and my 09 made just under 500hp and 800lbs of torque tuned. The 2015 would be ridiculous tuned which is why I have not done it yet, it doesn't need it. lol

Trucks a beast, I am sure you will love it!!

Jack