Potential Diesel Owner

jrd3

John & Debbie
Hello, everyone I am new to forum and towing a 5er. We shopped for 5 years and decided on Heartland 2014 Big Horn 3570, and are very happy with it. A few problems but nothing major. Since this discussion is about trucks I wanted to share our experience. We live in Southern Calif. and purchased the trailer in Michigan. So our first tow experience was significant to say the least. After looking at Chevy's and Rams we bought a new 2013 Chevy 3500 SRW, CC, LB, Duramax/Allision LTZ. Both are nice trucks, the deciding factor for me was the Allision transmission which is every bit as important as the engine. The truck exceeded all my expectations in towing power, braking, load handling, and mileage. Our mileage was 14.3 MPG for the entire trip home which included climbing over the Rockies. My average speed was between 61-63 MPH. I did exhaustive research on weight and limits and always felt the truck was in command of the weight. I will say I was very weight conscience and understand limitation for a SRW truck. After arriving home I weighed the rig and found the unit under capabilities of the truck in both pin weight and CGVW. However with all the storage room I can see how easy it could be to overload. I enjoy the forum and learning from all you experienced 5ers.

'Lil Guy'

One last question. What kind of mileage should you expect on the new Ram 3500 CTD. With and without a load. Thanks in advance. A rough number would be great.

gtsum2

One last question. What kind of mileage should you expect on the new Ram 3500 CTD. With and without a load. Thanks in advance. A rough number would be great.

I have 10k miles on my 3500 srw and city is 17-18 and hwy is 22-23. Towing quads to and from the hills of west va and back over about 16-16.5. Haven't towed a 10k trailer yet

'Lil Guy'

I have 10k miles on my 3500 srw and city is 17-18 and hwy is 22-23. Towing quads to and from the hills of west va and back over about 16-16.5. Haven't towed a 10k trailer yet
Way more than I would have expected. thanks for the reply.

jayc

Legendary Member
We have around 79,000 miles on our '10 Ram 3500. We get on average, 11-12 mpg pulling our Landmark and 18-21 on the highway without it. We bought the dually specifically to pull the LM because it pulls it so easy and gives me peace of mind in windy conditions.