What do you do with your carry pistol(s) when in a nonreciprocating state?

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
If they don't reciprocate, I won't visitate. Too many other places to go and things to see in states that don't have their heads up their tailpipes.

John,

Try getting anywhere from Mass that doesn't go through NY!! It's life and we are protected by federal Law for the transport of our legal weapons - provided we have them properly secured. Bottom line is I will not take my HG to NY if I am going to NY but if I am going through NY I will bring it and keep it secured while in the state.

Kevin

porthole

Retired
No matter what you do or how you transport, if you get stopped by an ignorant to the laws LEO, then you are in a bind. Even if you are 100% in the right you could still end up incarcerated and lose possession for the weapon. You will most likely get it back, but you will spend time and money to get them returned.

Federal law is no guarantee either. In New Jersey it is still illegal to own a magazine with a capacity greater then 15 rounds. You do not even have to own a firearm to be locked up for that infraction.

There are a couple of books about with firearm laws, this one is inexpensive.

http://www.gunlawguide.com/

added:
Our son is a LEO and we have discussions like this frequently, including what to tell a LEO when stopped. Bottom line in his opinion is the mentality of the LEO doing the stop. E.g. not all LEO's are gun enthusiasts (actually few are). Those that are not tend to be a bit more of an issue to deal with.

Those that are understand why you do what you do.

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I think the bottom line is, obey the law, don't give the LEO a reason to stop you, and if you are stopped obey the officer, be respectful and everything will go well. Be a jerk and the LEO will respond in kind. As a retired LEO I have a Federal permit which allows me to lawfully carry in all states however I still don't flaunt it and most of the time leave it in the vehicle. The best rule is use your common sense and follow the 'Golden Rule".

TXTiger

In California if you do not have a CCW to carry, a handgun must be unloaded and in a locked container excluding the glove box or center consul. The trunk is the best place to transport, (but if you are in an RV or towing a Fifth Wheel or TT you do not have a trunk). If you are towing a fifth wheel and your handgun is in your rig and not your tow vehicle you should be ok. While parked your RV (Class A, Class B, Fifth wheel, or TT) is considered an extension of your home and you may have a loaded weapon inside but not on your person outside. While your Class A, C, or TT is moving down the road you need to have your weapon in a locked container other than the glove box or center consul.

MdMike

I have a protable key locking vault that wraps around something stable with a cable fastened in the vault. When in a non friendly state the gun and mag go into that vault. It is stored, locked in an area where I can not reach while driving. I have to exit the vehicle to get to the vault. When I enter an area where I am legal again I put it back into my holster.

scottyb

So, let's compile what we've learned so far. An LEO could pull you over and make you a criminal for a defective tail light. That gives him authority to search the vehicle. He finds your locked and secured weapon (does he force the lock?) and now you're Public Enemy #1. What to do, what to do? How about those of use from states that allow their citizens to carry avoid states that don't. Example: I'm from Michigan, with Michigan plates on the vehicle. Driving through NY or CA, as an example, the LEO's know that Michigan is a right-to-carry state. That makes me potential easy pickings for any minor infraction to net them some quick revenue and bigger charges, so they pull me over for a burnt marker lamp. Maybe they'll start requiring interstate passports.

If they don't reciprocate, I won't visitate. Too many other places to go and things to see in states that don't have their heads up their tailpipes.

+1. The laws only apply to the law abiding citizens. The criminals don't take heed.

If you haven't already seen this, check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0Byq5Qis

blacklabbob

If I travel through nut-case states like NJ, NY, II, I leave my carry gun home in the safe. I do carry a short barreled 12 Ga. Rem. 870 pump, and four "BB" shells in my pocket. It's loaded when camped.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Put it in a safe, lock it up and then ask the criminal to "just wait a second!" HOW STUPID IS THAT??????????????????????????

I know this is an old thread but I just joined and am playing catch up. I live in PA so I am surrounded by states that are not gun friendly and often question myself if it is worth it to carry if I'm heading through one of those states. One option that was not brought up is open carry....I know I know don't crucify me for asking I'm just curious if that is even legal in those states under the 2nd amendment? I wouldn't do it but was wondering if it is legal?

jmgratz

The best option is the get your concealed carry permit if you can in your state. Some states consider your RV and/or your vehicle as an extension of your home (Texas does) and you can carry your handgun in your vehicle and RV without issues. But it must be concealed in your vehicle. The RV is your home when you are living in it and therefore should be considered as such but most legalities. I am NOT a lawyer but a retired LE Officer and can tell you no matter where you go the only time carrying a weapon (whether it be a handgun or longgun) becomes an issue is if you make it one by using it or draw attention to yourself. Remember you do not drive around with a sign on your vehicle saying you have a weapon on board. Obey the laws, and do not make a spectical of yourself and you should be fine.

Lynn1130

jmgratz,
I had to reply to your comment, tongue in cheek, and as a retired LEO. I have a very large NRA sticker on my rear truck window, driver's side. If the officer cannot figure out when approaching my vehicle that there is a VERY good chance that there is a gun in my truck we need to send that troop back to the academy.

In most cases if he/she has run the plate, and that is SOP my CC will pop up.

BTW, Arizona license plates draw attention to drug interdiction officers working the Interstates. I have been "inspected" by a number of DI officers in Oklahoma and New Mexico. They pull out as I go by, pull up along side, check out the gray haired old guy and then back off. Not the typical drug runner.

jmgratz

jmgratz,
I had to reply to your comment, tongue in cheek, and as a retired LEO. I have a very large NRA sticker on my rear truck window, driver's side. If the officer cannot figure out when approaching my vehicle that there is a VERY good chance that there is a gun in my truck we need to send that troop back to the academy.

In most cases if he/she has run the plate, and that is SOP my CC will pop up.

BTW, Arizona license plates draw attention to drug interdiction officers working the Interstates. I have been "inspected" by a number of DI officers in Oklahoma and New Mexico. They pull out as I go by, pull up along side, check out the gray haired old guy and then back off. Not the typical drug runner.

I have found my Texas plates indicate I am a cowboy who carries a gun. Guess LEO find it strange I tow and RV and not a horse or cattle trailer LOL. I crossed into Canada once and was asked at the border 'where is the 357"? I told him back in the RV. He saw the Texas plates and automatically knew I was carrying. Guess that is what they call "profiling". :)

jimtoo

A few years back we crossed at Niagara Falls and they ask if I had fire arms and I told them no,, not with me. They replied ,, well your from Texas aren't you ... and I said yes...The made me pull over to another area and spent over an hour searching for my fire arms that I told them I did not have. But I was told they considered everyone from Texas to be a carrier of fire arms and alcohol. They even ask if I was going to sell my alcohol...

Another thing I been thinking of.. a decal or sticker for rear window or bumper... "Licensed for CHL" or something like that.. anyone seen anything like that... or would you want to display such?

jmgratz

I would rather not have a sticker like that as it is an invitation to car burglars to break into your car because there might be a weapon in it. Funny (strange) how stereotyping is. When I was a kid I thought everyone from Texas had an oil well in their yard, a horse, cows and was a cowboy. Moved to the City in Texas from Indianapolis IN and there really wasn't that much difference. I really was disappointed about the oil well though. Sure could use one now.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I ran into a similar situation some years ago. The twit on the Canadian side kept demanding to know what weapons I owned. I kept telling her I didn't have any weapons with me and what I owned was none of her business. This went on for several minutes until she got frustrated and told me to move along. And I had Michigan plates on the car.

Lynn1130

To each his own. It has been on the truck since new and it has not been broken into yet. My experience (35 years of LE) is that if you leave something in plain view you increase the chance of a theft. Stickers on windows mean little to the thief. They generally do not take the chance of getting caught just to rummage through the vehicle. "Baby on Board" Does that mean that every car with that sticker has a baby left in it? LOL

Thinking about it. The thief might worry more about the owner catching him in the act and the gun is on the owner and not in the vehicle.

To the question-If you are in a nonreciprocating state and wish to temp fate, do nothing different. If on the other hand you wish to keep your weapon and avoid a costly fine and perhaps some time in jail waiting to see a judge lock it in the trailer. And don't try taking a gun or ammo into Mexico or Canada. The Mexico thing will get very ugly and the Canada crossing will not be fun. Use common sense.

porthole

Retired
Keep up to date with the state laws. If yo have a smart phone there are a couple of apps good for that.

NJ, NYC, DC - better mind your P's & Q's

retirie

retired investigator
my attornies say that in states with that do not recognize Texas CHL federal law takes precedence. You must carry the wepon locked up in a separate container and the ammunition locked up in a separate container. in this case federal law allows you to pass through the States. Some states like New York well not even allow you to stay overnight in a hotel.

Last edited: