What do you do with your carry pistol(s) when in a nonreciprocating state?

pegmikef

I ran into a similar situation some years ago. The twit on the Canadian side kept demanding to know what weapons I owned. I kept telling her I didn't have any weapons with me and what I owned was none of her business. This went on for several minutes until she got frustrated and told me to move along. And I had Michigan plates on the car.

That is really funny because I went to a family reunion in Toronto, ON a couple of years ago and the Canadian side harped for about five minutes on what weapons did I own, how many, etc. I told him I had none with me and that was all he needed to know. I had Texas plates on the truck (no trailer).

danemayer

my attornies say that in states with that do not recognize Texas CHL federal law takes precedence. You must carry the wepon locked up in a separate container and the ammunition locked up in a separate container. in this case federal law allows you to pass through the States. Some states like New York well not even allow you to stay overnight in a hotel.

retirie,

As I understand it, Federal Law takes precedence when you're traveling from a state that allows, through a state that doesn't allow, to another state that does allow you to carry. But if you stop overnight, you may not be considered to be just traveling through. Probably varies by state and locality.

In addition, if they discover you have a weapon, New York and New Jersey will ignore federal law and arrest you, confiscate your weapon and then allow you to use federal law as an affirmative defense. You'll eventually be acquitted, but you'll pay attorney's fees and be seriously inconvenienced, which is their goal.

And although this may vary by state and locality, in some places, your RV is only considered your home when it is unhitched and hooked up to utilities. While towing, or while ready to tow, some jurisdictions will consider it to be part of your vehicle, subject to more restrictive law.

It's definitely a complicated topic and difficult to figure out what's legal and what's not in any given location. Except in Texas of course.:)

porthole

Retired
What Dan mentioned above for New Jersey is best to be aware of. NJ will ignore federal laws and do their own thing.
A recent move in from Colorado followed by the book all laws for federal and state and was still arrested, time in jail, $$$ for his defense and. He is now working on having his record expunged. A nightmare.

google Brian Aitken

retirie

retired investigator
i dont pay attornies fees as my insurance is with a team of attornies that represent me for free in gun related indictments, criminal, and civil issues. i think it is only for texas residents though. if interested i can post info. $130 a year.

scottyb

In addition, if they discover you have a weapon, New York and New Jersey will ignore federal law and arrest you, confiscate your weapon and then allow you to use federal law as an affirmative defense. You'll eventually be acquitted, but you'll pay attorney's fees and be seriously inconvenienced, which is their goal.

And although this may vary by state and locality, in some places, your RV is only considered your home when it is unhitched and hooked up to utilities. While towing, or while ready to tow, some jurisdictions will consider it to be part of your vehicle, subject to more restrictive law.

Simple solution. Spend your tourist dollars elsewhere, like Texas, Arizona, and others. Texas does consider your car or your RV as an extension of your home, and a CHL is not required to possess a concealed weapon. The legislature 1st passed the law in 2009, but a few Liberal DA's tried to pull the intimidation tactic and interpret the law to their own standard. In 2011, the legislature reinforced the law and removed any doubt as to it's interpretation. We welcome your guns and your dollars.

retirie

retired investigator
could not have said it better myself. in texas if you dont want to carry dont but dont try and force those anti conservitive tactics on everyone else. the constitution and founding fathers delt with that problem years ago.

WB9IIE

Jim,

That being said I do not believe that he can search your camper as it is considered your home.

tom

During a traffic stop, a police officer may search anything in plain view. If he wants to search your car or camper he is supposed to ask your permission. With your permission, he is only allowed to search areas accessible to the occupants... If it's locked, he must again ask permission to search the locked area... glove box or trunk or center console. As far as the trailer, same thing goes there. You have the right to deny his search, but then he can hold you and ask for someone to bring him a warrant. A vehicle is a "movable crime scene," and the rules are a bit different than your home.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
During a traffic stop, a police officer may search anything in plain view. If he wants to search your car or camper he is supposed to ask your permission. With your permission, he is only allowed to search areas accessible to the occupants... If it's locked, he must again ask permission to search the locked area... glove box or trunk or center console. As far as the trailer, same thing goes there. You have the right to deny his search, but then he can hold you and ask for someone to bring him a warrant. A vehicle is a "movable crime scene," and the rules are a bit different than your home.

The 'rules' vary from state to state but the basic rule is with 'Probable Cause' (PC) the Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) can search with your permission or with a warrant. A warrant will only be issued with PC. What is Probable Cause? Probable Cause is facts and circumstances which would lead a reasonable man to believe a crime has or is about to be committed. Probable Cause is a major legal issue that has been 'cussed and discussed' in the courts for years. A warrant will not be issued for a 'fishing expedition'. Keep in mind a LEO can search without a warrant anytime and anyplace you give them permission to search, however, that permission can be withdrawn at anytime. This applies to your home, vehicle, RV person, bags etc.

JanAndBill

Most states including some of the more strict ones, consider your trailer as a residence when same is in a campground, attached to utilities. Otherwise, it is a vehicle.

Birchwood

As a Canadian guns is not an option for our protection.Only the police ,military and criminals carry guns in Canada year round.I have spend 35 months in Florida (wild west) last few years and not once wished I had a weapon.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We just will not travel in nonreciprocating states. I do not like going anywhere a criminal can target me by having a reasonable amount of intelligence and by simply looking at my license plate. The furthest we will travel east anymore is the UP of Michigan. We did go to Ill years ago but due to their unbelievable gun laws these day we will never again. It seems to me the further east you travel from Illinois, the fewer constitutional rights you have.
[h=2][/h]

Grey Ghost

We live in Arizona and I have a carry permit and carry in this state and other states that reciprocate such as Colorado, Texas and Utah and others around us. When traveling to California I still have mine in the door compartment right next to me and while camping I carry an ankle holster for my .38. I just like the idea of being able to protect me and mine if necessary. I'm military trained and would have no problem protecting myself or mine if the occasion or situation called for deadly force. Rather be judged by 12 than carried by six! I'm a sincere believer that it is your american right to carry a weapon if you want to and if your trained to safely use one. I believe there are more crimes in New York which involve weapons that in Arizona so do preach to me that weapons kill. The gun does not kill, the person does the killing and if that person wants to hurt you they don't need a gun to do it. Should we outlaw ball bats also, I could really hurt someone with a ball bat and just because I own one doesn't mean I'm going to do anything with it accept what it was made for. I don't carry a gun because I want to hurt someone, I carry it because I don't want them to hurt me or mine. It is everyones choice to carry or not carry, to own or not own, you should not be able to make that choice for me and I should not be able to tell you that you must carry a weapon. Now maybe we should just let well enough alone and let everyone make up their own mind on the issue. What say America?

DocFather

We live in Arizona and I have a carry permit and carry in this state and other states that reciprocate such as Colorado, Texas and Utah and others around us. When traveling to California I still have mine in the door compartment right next to me and while camping I carry an ankle holster for my .38. I just like the idea of being able to protect me and mine if necessary. I'm military trained and would have no problem protecting myself or mine if the occasion or situation called for deadly force. Rather be judged by 12 than carried by six! I'm a sincere believer that it is your american right to carry a weapon if you want to and if your trained to safely use one. I believe there are more crimes in New York which involve weapons that in Arizona so do preach to me that weapons kill. The gun does not kill, the person does the killing and if that person wants to hurt you they don't need a gun to do it. Should we outlaw ball bats also, I could really hurt someone with a ball bat and just because I own one doesn't mean I'm going to do anything with it accept what it was made for. I don't carry a gun because I want to hurt someone, I carry it because I don't want them to hurt me or mine. It is everyones choice to carry or not carry, to own or not own, you should not be able to make that choice for me and I should not be able to tell you that you must carry a weapon. Now maybe we should just let well enough alone and let everyone make up their own mind on the issue. What say America?

I say perfect.

Jim.Allison

Get a remington pump shotgun with a 5 round magazine and leave the pistol at home. The shotgun can be transported in the continental US and through canada. Handguns are a pain as evidenced by your question. The likelihood that you will need a firearm is small / remote. But if you need one, nothing says you have arrived like the sound of a 12 ga pump. It strikes fear in the hearts of criminals as the universal sound of a shell being chambered penetrates teh ears of the bad guys.
I have a Florida Concealed Carry permit that will reciprocate in most states. I am heading out full timing in my 3800HD Cyclone toy hauler and wondering what to do with my pistol(s) when going through and staying in states like CA, DC, MA, NY, etc., that will not reciprocate with FL. What do all of the rest of you do?