Where should we hold the 2014 North American Heartland Owners Rally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick_debbie_gallant

Now here is an idea. Have two BIG RALLIES. One in the middle, between the Mississippi River and the west coast. One in the middle, between the Mississippi and the east coast. That way there are three choices to make for which rally to go to! All those in favor say yea!

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
It's 2200 miles from the West Coast to Goshen every other year. (5-7 days each way)

I don't think most people will drive even further to the off-year rally.

IMHO, either alternating Eastern and Western U.S. areas, every other year,

OR, having two rallys (sorry Jim :)) in the off years, would be a solution.

One in the East and one in the West. Trace

Last edited:

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Trace, I agree. With the Goshen Rally being there every year, it only makes since to trade off every other year. With one central to the west. And 2 years later central east.

back2nature

Driving from the Los Angeles area, Gillette, WY was doable for us this year. So happy to have been able to make that one. Goshen is too much a drive for us. So something east of the Mississippi for the alternate years would leave us out completely for ANY North American rally.

rick_debbie_gallant

Trace, I agree. With the Goshen Rally being there every year, it only makes since to trade off every other year. With one central to the west. And 2 years later central east.

Kind of what I wuz trying to say. draw a line from the tip of the Mississippi and the bottom of California and another line from the top of Washington State and the Mississippi in the gulf. Then do the same thing east of the mississippi using Maine and Florida. X marks the spot.

BBinNC

I like the idea of two rallies - one for East and one for West. Also, maybe having one big one every other year in the center of the country.

jbeletti

Close to a decision on where to hold the 2014 North American Heartland Owners Rally

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to update you on the 2014 rally.

I have decided that the 2014 rally will be held generally in the east.

That said, I have 2 finalists for 2014:
  • North Carolina State Fairgrounds in Raleigh, NC
  • Bethpage Camp Resort in Urbanna, VA
I plan to make a decision by April 15th.

Here's a map showing past rallies. The blue markers are the 2006-2012 rally locations. The two green markers are the 2014 finalists. Click the map to interact with it.

[URL='http://goo.gl/maps/CCiJI']Google ChromeScreenSnapz074.jpg[/URL]

wino2

What's wrong with somewhere in the western part of the US. So I guess we don't go next year!

jbeletti

What's wrong with somewhere in the western part of the US. So I guess we don't go next year!

Wayne - nothing wrong with the Western US. Love it! We just held one in Wyoming. Not as far west as one can go, but the furthest west that we've been yet.

That said, going westerly again, right away, is not what I want to do. Time to go east.

Hope you can make the Pacific Regional Rally. See you there!

jbeletti

Re: Close to a decision on where to hold the 2014 North American Heartland Owners Rally

Only two finalist?

Yep - that's why it's called finalists :)

Seriously though, I think we have a winner. Working on a contract soon. We shall see.

Jim

funntheson

Living on the west coast, we can choose if we want to drive 2000 miles this year, or 2500 miles the following year, or 2000 miles the following year?

I like the idea of 2 national rallies each year. Otherwise, we may never make it to "The Big One".

back2nature

That leaves us out for another rally. I guess I'll be getting pretty old before it's back in the western part of the country.

TandT

Living on the west coast, we can choose if we want to drive 2000 miles this year, or 2500 miles the following year, or 2000 miles the following year?

I like the idea of 2 national rallies each year. Otherwise, we may never make it to "The Big One".

Larry,
I have to agree with you. We are going 2200 miles ONE WAY to Goshen this year.

That is a lot of fuel $$$. We more than likely, will not be able to do it again.

The Western half of the map above, looks a little bare. :( Trace

davebennington

I know everyone would like the National Rally 10 to 20 minutes from their house(me included). Well that just can't happen. Putting on a rally the size of the North American takes a lot of money, time, and a place that can handle 300 units and growing every year, with full hookups or at least water and electric. There are not that many places available short of fairgrounds and a few very large campgrounds and most of them do not want to commit their entire facility to one rally. Face it Goshen is NOT in the center of North America but it is the RV capitol of the world. Goshen is the best place for the National Rally in the odd year as it is close to the factory and the guys and gals can work on our rigs with a complete inventory of parts close by.(And I might add at no cost to the owner for this service).
I think Jim has the right approach trying to be fair to all in moving around the country on the even year. Where the 2016 rally will be, Southwest, Northwest, California, who knows.
As far as having 2 North American rallies a year would be VERY expensive and time consuming, and once again where to hold them.

These opinions are of the writer.

dave

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bethpage is my choice. More to do in the immediate area and nicer facilities. The downside might be a lot of other RVers and their kiddies.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
I agree with Dave in that we all would like to have the rally on our "own turf" so to speak.

In arranging for regional rallies I have found the number of facilities that can or will accommodate larger groups is a difficult task. I don't envy Jim for having to locate these areas in any part of the country for the "on the road" rally years. In addition to the number of sites necessary, there are many other items that factor into the equasion.

I also agree that more than one national level rally per year is not a viable option. We receive a great deal from Heartland in terms of funding and service support. We would be remiss if not thankful for what we currently have on the state, regional and national levels. It would seem to me, unfair to expect any more at this point.

Trust me, I understand the mileage argument. Been there, done that and have the tee shirt! What seems fair to me at this juncture, is an acceptance and appreciation for Jim who has the inevitable task of making this decision. Knowing full well that his decision will leave some pleased while others will be left upset is a difficult position. It is same position all club leadership is in when deciding where to go either on the state, regional or national levesl. It's just the nature of the course we follow.

Everyone deserves a chance to be close to home! We get that on all levels of leadership, even though we know we will hurt some feelings simply by virtue reaching a decision.

Last edited:

TXTiger

Re: Close to a decision on where to hold the 2014 North American Heartland Owners Rally

I like the idea of having the odd year Rally in Goshen and the even year Rally at other locations. I also like the idea of going to another area of the country for the Rally. I can go to a local campground any time I want to but I know many others do not have the luxury of time or $$$ to travel.

TandT

dbylinski,

No, not on my "own turf". Maybe just, let's say less than 1500 miles, or so?

New Jersey to Goshen, every other year=700 miles.

California to Goshen every other year= 2200 miles.

Goshen is like a "home rally" by comparison, for the majority of the Eastern US.

HOC is losing the West IMHO.

And please don't confuse economics with lack of appreciation.

I think everyone appreciates the great job Jim (and Julie) does!

Trace

Last edited:

FiremanBill

Either one of these two choices works for me as long as the timing is right! Bethpage particularly as it's just up the road from me.

This area has so much to offer for things to do. Colonial Williamsburg, Historic Jamestown and Yorktown where our Independence was won are just a few minutes away from Bethpage. If you get bored around here, well, you can't be entertained.

Status
Not open for further replies.