Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tire separating after 200 miles , Power King Towmaster

1. Print this Post   #1

Tire separating after 200 miles , Power King Towmaster

After reading the thread titled Power King Towmaster Tires, I decided to look closely at all my tires and was hoping I wouldnt be one of the ones having problems, especially this soon. I have only pulled about 4 times since purchasing my 2012 Sundance 277RL, all trips were close to where I live. To my surprise I already have a tire seperating. I noticed that one of the post 57chevyconvt stated that he got $600 from Tredit tire towards purchasing a new set of Maxxis at Discount Tire. I am hoping for a similar result as I am afraid of the others separating in the near future and causing the kind of damage I've read about. I would greatly appreciate anyone with knowledgeable information on the proper procedure to follow with Tredit Tire to respond to this post with advice, as It appears that others with these tires may also be interested. The tires are 225/75/15 Power King Towmaster D rated. I will attempt to post pics of the tire.

Thanks for a great forum,
    Walter RogersAttachment 18047Attachment 18048
    Scurry, Tx

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Tire seperating after 200 miles , Power King Towmaster

Your pictures don't look good...except for the last one.
    About the only thing you can do is give Tredit a call. Explain the situation and offer to email the pics to them.
    Tredit Tire
    (800) 537-2925

Peace
    Dave
    Dave and Mary
    and C. J.
    2011 Bighorn 3585RL

2013 RAM 3500, CC, DRW, Aisin
    Heartland Owners Club
    Member #1026

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

3. Print this Post   #3
    Prolifically Gabby Member JohnDar's Avatar

Here's another Tredit contact: Tim Ball, VP of Sales & Marketing, 574-293-0581. He was a presenter at the 2011 Goshen Rally, I spoke with him briefly after his talk, and he seemed like a straight shooter.
    Camp Gotchurwallett
    John & Darlene (with Max & Allie, the feline furballs)
    2009 GMC 3500HD SLT CC D/A DRW
    2009 Bighorn 3670RL

H.O.C. #1225

4. Print this Post   #4
    Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders TravelTiger's Avatar

We sent pics to Tredit... They sent a new tire. After more had issues, we sent pics of two deemed defective by our tire repair shop, and asked for compensation instead. The sent us a check for $230 for two tires. We replaced all 5 with Maxxis. I have the new replacement TowMax still sitting in the garage. Thinking its only good for a tire-swing!

E
    Erika Dorsey
    Founding
    Texas - West Chapter Leader
    Erika & Tony with two traveling cats, Mambo and Tango
    2016 Big Country 4010RD
    2010 ElkRidge 34QSRL (gone)
    2008 NorthTrail 21FBS (gone)
    2013 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 crew cab, long bed, drw, 4X4, 115gal Dually Depot Aux Tank
    B&W Companion 20K hitch, Reese 5th Airborne Pin Box, 507 TST, Torklift Glowstep Revolution
    Visit our blog at http://mammothtravels.blogspot.com/
    HOC #1733

5. Print this Post   #5

Thanks to all that replied, especially all the info from 57chevyconvt who sent me a private message with the procedures he used with his Towmax tire failures. As it stands now, Tredit referred me to TBC in Memphis and they referred me to a local dealer in Kaufman, Tx to verify the tire failure is a warranty issue. The dealer said that although he does not sell or recommend the Power King Towmax due to the high failure rate, he can attempt to get an allowance for the bad tire towards a set of Maxxis for me. He stated that it is more likely that they will want to send a replacement tire instead. I am seriously considering the Maxxis E-rated 15 whether they offer an allowance or not. I will be taking the tire in tomorrow to find out what they offer.
    On another note:
    I tried to return a response to the private message I received, but was unable to determine if I responded correctly, hope I can learn how to do that for future use.
    I enjoy checking the forum daily,
    Walter

6. Print this Post   #6

Did you file a complaint with NHTSA? When you do you should include the pictures. While you have received compensation you haven't done anything to help fellow RV owners who may have similar problems. If properly loaded and inflated 200 miles would to me indicate a high probability of a manufacturing problem which means there are others out there.

You may want to read my post on China Tires and the one on Why bad tires are on the road.
    Check out my blog WWW.RVTireSafety.Net

7. Print this Post   #7

It just doesn't seem right that we have to allow for the price of a replacement set of tires when we purchase a new trailer. These junk tires shouldn't be allowed into this country..JMHO..Don
    Don & Kathy, Daisy Mae the rescue pup.
    She drives...He sits behind the steering wheel

2011 BC 3250 TS
    2015 Chev D/A 3500 Dually

8. Print this Post   #8

Quote Originally Posted by tireman9 View Post
    did you file a complaint with nhtsa? When you do you should include the pictures. While you have received compensation you haven't done anything to help fellow rv owners who may have similar problems. If properly loaded and inflated 200 miles would to me indicate a high probability of a manufacturing problem which means there are others out there.

You may want to read my post on china tires and the one on why bad tires are on the road.
    great info!
    Tow: 2008 F350 6.4L King Ranch Crew 4x4 SRW, H&S Tuner, AFE 4" Exhaust DPF delete, Ride-Rite, 51 gal underbed Titan tank SOLD
    Towed: 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon SOLD

Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470, 400ISL Cummins
    Toad: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd (yes, it has a Hemi)

Where I have RV'd

9. Print this Post   #9

Tireman9 (Dave), Good info. I had two TowMax tires fail due to tread separation after ~3,000 miles. The failure was not due to improper inflation or overload. I pay very close attention to both of these tire failure contributing factors. I received reimbursement credit from Tredit for four tire. I moved on to replace all five tires with GY G614's. Never thought about filing a complaint with NHTSA, but now recognize that should have been done. I posted some of my observations with pictures as to the mode of failure. The GY G614 tire weighs almost twice a much as the TowMax tire, should say something as to the quality of the tire?
    Jim & Angy Hutt
    2010 Bighorn - 3410RE
    2003 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.9 Diesel, 6 spd. manual trans, 3.73 axle, SMARTY Programmer, Reese 18K Signature hitch, aux. fuel tank.

Texas Chapter Rally - Canton, TX Oct. 2011 & Oct. 2013

10. Print this Post   #10

I have about 2,200 miles on my towmasters and I am starting to see separation like the tread is separating and uneven spots on three tires did you guys contact tredit directly or did you call your dealers first.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast