2010 International Heartland Owners Rally Discussion

jbeletti

There are 2 openings for the Nashville rally. If you were on the fence or if you found it SOLD-OUT and did not wait list - now is the time to grab a spot :)

Rally registration link

Also, if you live nearby and want to join us without your RV, rates have been added to the rally registration site for that. $100 for club members (2 persons) and $125 for non-members (2 persons).

Jim

shovelguy

I see on the news that the Cumberland river is now flooding parts of downtown Nashville, and from the Nashville KOA website that they are now closed due to flooding. That's a real bummer for those affected.

SmokeyBare

Dean,

We were at Nashville KOA on May 22 for 3 nights. It rained some while we were in the Park. Yes the lower section does have risk of getting wet.

On a good note... We have 2 Months for the water to drain away and the park get open once again. I doubt this is the first time they have closed because of water. That said, having 15 inches of rain in a such a short time span would cause most locations problems !! Sure hope those staying in all the RV Parks were able to get out with out damage to them. Nashville KOA does have an area that is on the high side of the park, on the left side of the drive going into the Park. Sorry, I didn't think to ask which location was for the Heartland Rally. Lets just hope the hard working staff of Nashville KOA will have the park in tip-top shape for our visit !

campcar

I am camping about 50 miles south of Nashville so we are getting all of the local news. Nothing but flood coverage for the last 60 hours. The Cumberland River which flows through downtown Nashville is expected to crest at a record level this afternoo. The Opryland Hotel, and Opry Mills Shopping Complex, and the KOA are all located along the Cumberland River. This is historic flooding never seen in Nashville. The Opryland Hotel evacuated 1500 guests last night. This morning the local TV showed the hotel and grand ole opry. The hotel has five to eight feet of water in the buildings. Unless you are here you don't yet understand the disaster that is being inflicted on Nashville.

campcar

Flooded Opryland Hotel and Opry Mills shopping complex, and the KOA about a mile away. Everything anywhere near this area is under water because this area sits in a bend of the Cumberland River and is being flooded from both sides. The river is supposed to crest at 12.5 feet above flood stage. The Titans football stadium has four feet of water on the field and historic downtown riverfront area is being flooded including museums and the basketball/hockey arena.KOA..gif
Flooded Opryland&#32.jpgOpry Mills Shopp&#105.jpgKOA..JPG

jbeletti

Hey all you Heartlanders that are registered for the rally in Nashville and are concerned about the flooding there,

Well, the concern is well founded and I share that concern with you. This morning, I spoke to Jenn Stott from the KOA and she confirmed for me that they were under about 15 feet of water in some parts. She has lost her home on property to water and the office has about waist high water in it.

The water is receding - so that's the good news for today!

It's Fred and Jenn's plan/hope to get on property yet this week to make a damage assessment and business determination. I expect to know more in a week from now.

It is my hope that they will be able to get the mess cleaned up in time for the rally. They have nearly 2-1/2 months. I think it can be done. But they need to assess equipment damage and recovery capability.

So please hang in there with me. The show will go on - even if we have to move it elsewhere in the area. Let's hope the KOA can resurrect itself. They will be in dire need our our economic impact. They entire city will be. Let's show them Heartlanders have a heart :)

Jim

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
The whole area along there including Opry Land hotel Bass Pro, Camping World is under water. Just and FYI 25 miles east of there on I-40 is Lebanon Tn. The Tennessee Good Sam Clubs are holding a Samboree Next week there and they have not flooded. If the KOA can't get it in shape, The James Ward Agriculture Center might be an alternative. They can hold 250 easy. 30 amp power and water. They have 4 dump sites.

2010augusta

Opry land is expecting the grand ol' opry a and the hotel to be closed for several months. Many of the attractions in the downtown area will have the same problems.

My mother-in-law is in Hickman county, and just got power back today, She has to dry out the basement after 2 feet of water came in the house.

The water in Hickman county is expected to be "tainted" for the next 5-6 weeks.

It is a horrible situation throughout that entire area.

jbeletti

Thanks for the comments and the insights. I am working hard on contingency planning and just may give the suggested venues a call.

Jim

patsak

Maybe we could add an extra day and do a volunteer project while we are there. What a great opportunity for us!

patsak

It looks like the Grand Ole Opry will be at the Ryman Auditorium. Evidently it missed the flooding.

Due to heavy flooding throughout parts of Tennessee, including the Grand Ole Opry Entertainment Complex, this week's Grand Ole Opry performances have been moved from the Grand Ole Opry House to other Nashville venues.

The May 4 performance will take place at the War Memorial Auditorium. Weekend performances will move to the historic Ryman Auditorium. Thursday's performance of “Opry Country Classics” will remain at the Ryman Auditorium as previously scheduled. Show times for all shows remain at 7 p.m.

The Opry House suffered damage as a result of the record-breaking rains and subsequent flooding in Nashville. The last time the Opry had to relocate was in 1975 to Nashville's Municipal Auditorium, just one year after the opening of the Grand Ole Opry House. That move was also caused by Cumberland River flooding.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hey Jim B.,
I think the flood was caused by my wife Linda. She'll do anything to get you to move the date so she can be there too. LOL

Fingers crossed that everything for everyone involved in Nashville works out.

Mark

jbeletti

Maybe we could add an extra day and do a volunteer project while we are there. What a great opportunity for us!

Been thinking about that. As I track the progress at the KOA, I may well offer us up for a service project.

Jim

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Hi Jim - if the KOA doesn't get back up and running by July and you are looking for a location - how about River Plantation in Sevierville, TN. It's a little over 3.5 hours east of the Nashville location and not that far off of I-40. There are over 295 full hookup site and it also has a conference center. The area has a lot to offer including the new Titanic museum which just opened up. The website is www.riverplantationrv.com. We are also heading to Tennessee Good Sam's Samboree next weekend at James Ward Ag Center which is where Lee McClure suggested. As of right now, we have not received word that the site had been flooded or received damage. Good luck.

GETnBYE

I have to second on River Plantation, that is our favorite place to camp. Not sure if they have a meeting building and they may be booked for July by now.

jbeletti

Thanks for the idea on River Plantation in Sevierville, TN. I continue to work on a contingency plan. Goal 1 of that plan keeps us all in Nashville. So far, planning is going well.

Jim

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
We have talked to the fair grounds in Lebabon Tennessee about the Spring Samboree next week there and everything is a go. The fairgrounds are in great shape as they only had a lot of water and no flooding. I will leave Harrison on Saturday to start getting it ready along with all of the State Staff. If I can do anything to help out feel free to contact me.