Dallas to Boerne for Rally 4/15 - any advice?

8amps

We are leaving in the morning for the Boerne, TX rally. We figured we'd wait until 9 or 10 am to miss out on rush hour. We are at Lake Lavon at the COE park, which is northeast of Dallas. Planning on taking 30W. 2 questions. 1) Ennis. It's not far out of the way (no more than 15 miles) and there are supposed to lots of bluebonnets there (there have been pockets of Bluebonnets in Dallas, but nothing extraordinary). Is it worth a stop? How are the roads? Is it do-able to drive through with the rig attached? 2) GPS is suggesting staying on 35 all the way south of New Braunfels and going west on 1604/Charles Wills Anderson Loop. Is this a better route than 46 W at New Braunfels? ok 3 questions... 3) Any notable stops or things we should know for this route? Thanks always for the local scoop!
Mary

HornedToad

I towed eastbound on I30 through the "Canyon" @ I35 few weeks ago. It is under construction and was such a huge mess that I drove an extra 15 miles to go down I635 and catch I20 back west. Hwy 46 has over a dozen stop lights from I35 to I10, about half in New Braunfels and the rest going into Boerne. Anderson Loop 1604 is freeway westbound from I35 to I10, there are a few stop lights on the eastbound route off I35 back down to I10. Notable stop: Buc-ee's on I35 @ Hwy 306 in New Braunfels. If you want to take the long way home on a scenic route, Hwy 281 from I20 down to I10 is a fun drive that goes through several neat little towns.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I hate I-30 through Dallas, especially towing!!!

And 35 is a mess of construction as well, though the widened parts are great.

I've always heard it's a great idea to stop at the Czech Stop in West, TX for Kolaches.

If you go to Ennis for bluebonnets it will be worth it I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

I took 281 straight down. Nice road, no problems, but that is a little west of you. I was at Coffee Creek RV Park in Santo. Took a little over three hours.

ucwinters

If you decide to take IH35 down to either New Braunfels or San Antonio, I'd suggest getting on SH130 (toll road) in Georgetown which exits in Buda back onto IH35. This way you'd avoid the traffic in Round Rock and Austin. Hwy 46 from New Braunfels up to Boerne should have plenty of wild flowers to look at.
When we lived in San Antonio, I stopped ONCE when towing our trailer at Buc-ee's in New Braunfels at IH35/306. Cheap diesel and the store has anything that you'd want but that intersection is a nightmare and the way that people drive in the parking lot at Buc-ee's is unnerving.

MCTalley

If you decide to take IH35 down to either New Braunfels or San Antonio, I'd suggest getting on SH130 (toll road) in Georgetown which exits in Buda back onto IH35.

Technically, SH130 exits onto I-10 east of San Antonio. If you take 45 west, you end up back on I-35 in Buda.

8amps

After a hiccup leaving Dallas this morning, we just got on 35s, at 230pm, so it looks like we're going to run into rush hour traffic in Austin. What is the deal with I 35 upper deck which is supposed to avoid exits etc? Are there weight or size restrictions? Can we tAke our 40 ft Bighorn on there?

Just going thru waxahachie right now...any point in cutting over to 281?

jimtoo

We always travel 281 when we head North. We never go through the Austin,,, Waco area...to much traffic and always construction. To us it is worth the few extra miles.

ucwinters

Getting over on hwy 281 would save you the headache of the Austin traffic. You could then take hwy 46 straight up to Boerne.

HornedToad

looks like we're going to run into rush hour traffic in Austin...

I remember driving to a business meeting in Austin ten years ago, the traffic is much worse now.

We left Plano at 4 am and drove the 200 miles to Round Rock in just under three hours. It took us two hours in rush hour traffic to drive the last 20 miles into Austin, just in time for our 9 o'clock meeting.

I35 north of Austin is under construction, so right now it's probably worse!!! A truck knocked out a bridge a few weeks ago closing the interstate, but that was northbound.

Both the Upper/Lower decks seem the same to me, on the lower deck stay in the left lane, don't worry about towing on the upper deck, just follow the semis.

Hwy 281 is looking better with every post??? Cutting over and the stop lights in every little town would even out the travel time, but it would be a lot less stressful!!!

8amps

Ok,281 it is. We stopped in West at Slovacek's for kolaches & fuel. Czech stop involved going thru construction to other side of hwy. Going to take hwy 84 near Waco to 281. Thanks y'all.

jayc

Legendary Member
We left McKinney and changed our route. We took US 380 over to 281 and came on in with no probs...

HornedToad

jayc,

Last year I made the mistake of towing up I635 from Mesquite going to Denton.
How is the big dig progressing, is it drivable yet?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
jayc,

Last year I made the mistake of towing up I635 from Mesquite going to Denton.
How is the big dig progressing, is it drivable yet?

Mike, not yet! At least part of it is complete. I just avoid it, even with the car. Since we are on the east side of Dallas and travel northwest or southwest often, we've found its better to take the GWBush Tollway or stay south of metroplex on I-20 -- even if it's longer, it's faster and less stressful when towing!

But there's always something under construction in DFW! Now they're redoing the mixmaster downtown, which was always a bottleneck and congested no matter what. Throw in complicated lane shifting, construction crews, and zero room for disabled vehicles, and guess what you have?!?

Erika

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk