How Necessary is a Weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danemayer

A common approach to analyzing risk is to multiply the probability of an adverse incident by the severity of the consequences. With the result in mind, mitigation approaches can be evaluated and a rational decision can be made.

If you rent an apartment, you might consider renter's insurance to protect you against property loss from theft or fire. The probability in any given year would be low - let's say 1 in a 100 apartments suffer a loss each year. That would be a probability of 1 percent in any year. If you have $5000 in property that might be lost to theft or fire, you would multiply 1 percent times $5000. That's .01 * 5000 = 50. If the cost of insurance were $50, buying insurance would be a break even decision. If you're just starting out, perhaps you have only $1,000 of stuff. That might explain why so few young people have renter's insurance.

In the case of firearms, the adverse incident under consideration might be something involving the threat of deadly force used against you and your loved ones in a robbery, assault or home invasion. Let's assume the probability is very low: say 1/100 of a percent or .0001. But when you assess the severity of the incident, were it to occur, you have to ask how much your life, or that of your family, is worth to you. Let's be crass and put it at $1,000,000. Multiplying the two gives an incident cost of $100.

I guess for $100 of risk, it's hardly worth buying a weapon.

But what if you place an infinite value on your life and that of your family. Then the incident cost if the calculation is .0001 * infinity. And you might be inclined to pursue a different course.

HornedToad

I got rid of all my guns 30 years ago when my first daughter was born. At the time I felt the risk of someone in my family being injured by my own gun was greater than ever needing one to protect my family. I've never had cause, at home or on the road, to change my mind.

Jim.Allison

85% of Americans have no firearms. They do just fine.

So how necessary?

This is not a true stat to begin with.

BUT, the people that have not armed themselves are being protected by those of that have. IT IS THE OFF CHANCE that you have a gun that keeps you secure in your houses. Not the certainty. If you don't believe it, then the question beckons, would you put a sign up in your front yard that states you don't have a gun? If your honest you will say no. It won't be until you need one that you will wish you had one. Like I said a discrete 12 ga. pump is the way to go. BTW, gun accidents are directly proportional to the owners ability to responsibly own said gun. It is funny that people that have had violence perpetrated against them call a man with a gun to come take a report. Meanwhile the perpetrator is shooting up dope on your cash and your wife's jewelry. I do carry to protect my life, but I also carry to protect my property, an offense against either will introduce someone to the business end of my 12 ga. While it is not necessary to carry one, I think it is a good idea to discreetly carry a long-arm, handguns are alright but not for me, I think they are trouble waiting to happen when RVing. The percentage of gun ownership is between 35 and 50%. There has been a decline in gun ownership because people will not admit they have a gun to surveyors. You can bet the rate of gun ownership among criminals is much higher among the criminal element than among the general public.

Tundra2084

Husband and Son are both police constables in Toronto and to be honest if Hubby did not have to carry his gun then there would be no gun in our home.

Kbvols

to respond to OP's question. ..I don't know how necessary a gun is but I'll be glad I have one or two if the necessity arises.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

Not my circus not my monkeys. It is a good bet that that no-one on this forum will need a gun while RVing. It's good for me, and I'm comfortable with carrying long arms. Those that are not comfortable with one should not carry one, nor should they own one. If you have a gun around the house you should put it up lest the children get it and hurt themselves, put it away with the skill saw, drill motor, car keys, gasoline, charcoal lighter fluid and all the other dangerous objects.:cool:

I would rather have my firearms with me and never need them, than not have them with me and need them. I am well trained and have been on several pistol teams and was also a sniper with the police dept. And I have had to use one once, that is why I'm still here. But is still a personal choice that all have to make.

donr827

I have been reading this thread for awhile and want to make a few points. I have both a 9mm semi automatic pistol and a 20 gage assault type shot gun. I was told by my instructor that MOST incidence where you need a weapon occur within a 20 foot distance. He mentioned that you have to practice and keep most of your practice within the 20 foot range. He also said that if a close encounter occurs you need to practice shooting without the normal aiming that you see most people do at ranges. ........Don

Bohemian

Funny, it's been widely report in all the legitimate media.

This is not a true stat to begin with.

BUT, the people that have not armed themselves are being protected by those of that have. IT IS THE OFF CHANCE that you have a gun that keeps you secure in your houses. Not the certainty. If you don't believe it, then the question beckons, would you put a sign up in your front yard that states you don't have a gun? If your honest you will say no. It won't be until you need one that you will wish you had one. Like I said a discrete 12 ga. pump is the way to go. BTW, gun accidents are directly proportional to the owners ability to responsibly own said gun. It is funny that people that have had violence perpetrated against them call a man with a gun to come take a report. Meanwhile the perpetrator is shooting up dope on your cash and your wife's jewelry. I do carry to protect my life, but I also carry to protect my property, an offense against either will introduce someone to the business end of my 12 ga. While it is not necessary to carry one, I think it is a good idea to discreetly carry a long-arm, handguns are alright but not for me, I think they are trouble waiting to happen when RVing. The percentage of gun ownership is between 35 and 50%. There has been a decline in gun ownership because people will not admit they have a gun to surveyors. You can bet the rate of gun ownership among criminals is much higher among the criminal element than among the general public.

Bohemian

Aw, statistics.

85% of Americans DON'T own firearms.

or is it

65% of households DON'T own firearms. or is it 50% of households

Point still stands.

It seems there is much more desire than need.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here is the bottom line on firearms IMHO. First if you need one and don't have one you might as well make funeral arrangements. Second if you have one and are not trained to use it then you are a disaster waiting to happen. Third guns only hurt when used incorrectly or haphazardly. Fourth there have been more people killed by automobiles than by guns. Lastly, a gun is only a tool like a knife, axe or anything else that could be used as a weapon. More people have been killed or injured by knives and clubs that guns. To control the use of guns we need proper restraints in their use (which we already have too much of) and a better mental health system. Anything in the hands of a mentally deranged person can be used as a weapon. I am now stepping off of the soapbox.

Tundra2084

Just Curious as to where you get the data to support this part of your statement. ( More people have been killed or injured by knives and clubs that guns) ?????????

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I kind of chuckle every time I read a post about guns.
Since there are an estimated, keyword estimated, about 275 to 300 million guns in the US no one knows or is able to know for sure how many individuals or households actually have guns.
So all of the "facts" that we read about on the internet, and you know that everything is true there, need to be taken lightly.
One thing for certain though is if you own a gun be trained if you intend to use it, practice often, and most importantly be safe and responsible.

Peace
Dave

Bohemian

65% of households don't have guns Pew Research
50% of households don't have gun Gallup (older)
Gun ownership ha been decreasing in the U.S. Federal Government Statistics

The most likely event of gun ownership is injury or fatality of someone in your household

Gun deaths in the U.S.will exceed traffic deaths by 2015 and become the second major cause of violent death (poisoning will remain first)

Murder rates in modern industrialized countries are highly correlated with gun ownership.

Yes, you can bury your head, but we have a problem

danemayer

Aw, statistics.

85% of Americans DON'T own firearms.

or is it

65% of households DON'T own firearms. or is it 50% of households

Point still stands.

It seems there is much more desire than need.
I'm not sure what the percentage of ownership actually is, but I'm also not sure what point you're making.

FARMER45

I feel about guns like, flu shots I don't know if they really help. But when I am around a sick person , I am sure glad I got one. Just in case

Status
Not open for further replies.