Rally location ideas - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdk450

Re: Input Requested for 2012 Rally Location

I agree with distances. I would like to go but it is just too far for a few day rally. I live in the San Diego area which is probably little bit farther.

How about making the long trip East and back a pre-post mobile mini rally? Circle the wagons in the Sacramento area, over the Sierras to overnight (or 2 nights) in the Reno area (lots of attractions/dining opportunities), on to Salt Lake City for one or 2 nights, and finally on to Gillette. Same path back from Gillette.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader

Bill, I think we'd definitely be up for a trip like that. Great idea! As of now, we are planning on going if the rally is in Gillette.

PS: Bear's Den park was great. We'd love to move to Grangeville. They were doing construction while we were there, so a little noisy and dusty, but great as a base to sight-see the area.

sharmulst

We vote for Wyoming in 2012. I think it is only fair to have it in the west so that people from Calif. and other west areas can attend. We had a great time in Nashville.

MrsSouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader

LOL... is there a road from South Carolina to Gillette????? (joking!)
That sounds like an adventure for sure!!!! :)

Razorback

Another vote for Gillette Wyoming! We also enjoyed our first Nat'l Rally in Nashville.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

I like Gilette Wyoming also. That is in my old Stomping grounds.

BC

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

I like the idea of Gillette also. While we were in Nashville, we seldom had time to get out and see the sights. When we're at a rally, it seems we spend most of our time at the rally site. Since there isn't much tourist stuff in the Gillette area, it shouldn't be a problem. In fact, it will make it easier to meet and greet more Heartlanders.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader

It would be great if the Rally in Gillette could be set so we can go to the Good Sam Rally in Redmond Oregon, then head for Gillette or the opposite. Maybe we could have a Heartland train going or coming back...

talley

Time to go west... fits well with our longrange travel plans. Diane and I have made the last two Heartland International Rally locations the core of a 6-7 week trip. This had worked well for us. We have not visited that part of our country and Gilette, Wyoming would be a good fit.

Gilette, Wyoming in 2012

Thanks

Should Gillette, WY be the place we select, Nancy and I plan on adding a week or two after the rally for seeing the area between Gillette and back East. Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Black Hills etc. What else of significant interest between Gillette and Chicago/Tennessee are must sees? I assume we'll make the trek on I-90 mostly. So things north and south of that route would be good.

Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Jim, somewhere around the third week in June, Hardin Montana has Reenactment Bighorn Days. Might fit into your schedule. Don't know the dates for 2012. The reenactment is cool, and the town hosts a bunch of fun events. Good food at benefit dinners at churches and schools. A parade, and who could miss the Bed Races?
The last time we were there, it was 106* at the reenactment in the plains. Of course two days later in Yellowstone it was 30*.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

wdk450

Should Gillette, WY be the place we select, Nancy and I plan on adding a week or two after the rally for seeing the area between Gillette and back East. Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Black Hills etc. What else of significant interest between Gillette and Chicago/Tennessee are must sees? I assume we'll make the trek on I-90 mostly. So things north and south of that route would be good.

Jim

Sounds like another possible Heartland Wagon Train!

Great ideas. Keep them coming. At some point this winter, I should have a chance to create a comprehensive list in the 2012 rally forum so everyone can access it and consider some of the points of interest listed.

Jim

gasman

Camp Socializer

The Harold Warp Pioneer Museum in Mendon, Nebraska is a must see. It is a little bit south as it is about 10 miles south of I-80 in Eastern Nebraska. They have a nice RV park on site. We spent two days there and could have taken another day.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

Don't forget to go to the Little Big Horn Battlefield just northwest of Gillette. Just north of Sheridan WY. Fascinating place. Oh yeah and don't forget the Corn Palace in South Dakota. Same town as Wall Drug.

Tom of Ypsi

Jim,

Wall Drugs is in Wall SD and the Corn Palace is in Mitchell, SD approximately 220 miles east of Wall. Both are worth seeing but not in the same day unless you like rushing through things and driving like a madman to se everything.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

Don't forget to go thru the Badlands, just east of Rapid City....

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

Jim,

Wall Drugs is in Wall SD and the Corn Palace is in Mitchell, SD approximately 220 miles east of Wall. Both are worth seeing but not in the same day unless you like rushing through things and driving like a madman to se everything.

u r right. It was just we saw them both on the same day and it sometimes seems like everything is in the same place after seeing so much. And 220 miles is just a minor drive after driving around in Texas where you drive 75 miles just to go get a gallon of milk. Remember everything is bigger in Texas LOL

jbeletti

Here's my planning map with some POIs suggested by y'all :)

Here's a static image of a map with some POIs on it between Crossville, TN and Gillette, WY. Click link below map for a current version.

Static Image of POIs - POIs between Crossville, TN and Gillette, WY  Click image for current map

(click here)

Status
Not open for further replies.